1x conversion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

illlili

by illlili

Hey guys, after months of dead-end research Iv decided to ask the community here for advice with dropping the small ring.

Bike: '17 giant propel, ultegra 52/36 - 11/23.

My goal is to upgrade the rear derailleur and accompanying right side shifter to red e-tap and to eliminate the front inner chainring and front derailleur.

The cassette is not original and im very happy with it as I ride only on the flats. Small ring has only been seen when the bike is stored to de-tension the rd.

Would a 52t chainring make it as if nothing was changed as far as gearing? I notice most change both the front and rear gearing to accommodate.

Lastly, any recommendations on a new crankset/ring etc?

Thanks

James

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

Check here to see the comparisons of two different setups.

http://www.gear-calculator.com/

Also i do a 1x SRAM Force 1 with a 10-42 XX rear cassette and a 46 on the front. Covers the whole range like a compact and climbs really well.

Marin

by Marin

Do you ever need 52-11?

I am running a 46t front ring and 11-30 in the rear, but I am riding hilly terrain.

Maybe a 50t front would be fast enough for you?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

i got a garbaruK 52T asymmetric ring in narrow wide format. works fine but 1x is a bit more noisey with this ring but the ring itself retains the chain very well.

As for the chainset to use a 5arm campagnolo carbon record square taper of course.