Dremeling mcfk stem

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
NiFTY

by NiFTY

OK, hear me out. I have an mcfk stem and have for several years. It is decently stiff and quite good looking to my eyes. I have even made a faceplate mount for mine. The one element i am not fond of aesthetically is the steer tubes clamping flange at the rear. I feel it is unnecessarily bulky, perhaps if tapered between the bolts (like the ax rigid) it might bring less visual mass. Now i can already hear the masses talking about cutting UD fibres affecting strength but the way i see it is 2 bolts with a less connected flange should still provide adequate steerer clamping and as the flange is posterior to the steerer it provides no strength or stiffness to the main body of steerer anterior to it. Thoughts.
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

mortirolo

by mortirolo

NiFTY wrote: I have even made a faceplate mount for mine.

Have you got a photo about it?
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about switching to integrated stem+bars. The bontrager xxx is only around 220gr and the drops are quite long. Maybe you can shave off 10-20gr by shortening them a bit.

/a

corky

by corky

I always thought the MCFK look clunky around the clamp.......not sure about depremelling though?......maybe ask MCFK?, but I guess they wouldn't t approve......

Go for it and check your dental insurance coverage?

mortirolo

by mortirolo

mortirolo wrote:
NiFTY wrote: I have even made a faceplate mount for mine.

Have you got a photo about it?

I found it. Very nice.
Is it your diy product?
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Have you got pics of the face plate you made? Was wondering if anyone made an after market carbon one actually. I hear what your saying, doubt it would save much weight but aesthetically it would look cleaner

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yeah just about aesthetics. The warranty period is over for the stem now

The garmin mount was made with 3mm carbon plate, 5mm outer bore 4mm inner bore ti tube, 5mm convex ti washers, and some extra k edge garmin mounts just m2.5 bolts and nuts. All bonded with araldite. Plate was cut to size, reinforcements added so i could run a light underneath. Holes bored for the ti tube then i bolted the ti tube in place and the carbon plate was held at the correct position with masking tape as the glue cured.
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Ah right. I see the pictures of the Garmin mount on your thread. Sorry I thought you had made a carbon face plate to replace the aluminium one on the stem itself. I do like your little fin spacer

tonytourist

by tonytourist

This guy has modded every carbon part you can think of, ask him what he thinks:
viewtopic.php?t=135256

by Weenie

djgarrett21

by djgarrett21

Comparing the MCFK stem here:
https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-tqfdy/pr ... 80.jpg?c=2
To the AX stem here:
https://www.bike24.com/i/p/8/3/62538_02_d.jpg

I can see your point regarding being able to remove material between the bolts. The two bolts at the rear are primarily loaded in tension. Both designs use what are essentially radius blocks that help reinforce the radius and distribute the tension load on the free flange. So, if you were to somehow overload the stem I'd guess that you'd most likely see a material failure at the radius (flange bending due to tension) rather than a "shear out" failure (shear failure or not enough material around the bolts).

Would I do it? No way. Are you going to put yourself at risk by removing material? Hard to say but my seat-of-the-pants stress analysis says you'd probably be ok as long as you didn't remove too much material.