Time XPro pedals - any details?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Does anyone have any more detail that CyclingTips didn't have on the new Time road pedals?

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/interbi ... day-three/

Look like they might have worked to address the issues with the Xpresso pedal.

Attermann

by Attermann

what issues?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

the main issue with time is the cleats, not the pedals.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Attermann wrote:what issues?

Looks like they may have smoothed out some of the rough edges that some folks have said will gouge your leg if you miss clipping in properly and fumble around on them.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Attermann wrote:what issues?

Found this on the Fiets.nl forum: user LCSMET

"Received information from Time Sport's export manager in response to my question as to whether Time stopped manufacturing / selling their RXS pedals, which unfortunately was answered in the affirmative.

Hello,

We had few problems in the past with XPRESSO but a lot of modifications have been made last year and we will introduce a new model on January 2018 called XPRO pedals.

Wishing you good ride,
Best regards,

Christine Collin
Export Manager
Time SPORT INTERNATIONAL
725 rue Aristide Bergès - 38340 VOREPPE - France"

Attermann

by Attermann

would be nice with and explantion of which problems, my father and i have used them for 4 years, my father broke on pedal, that's the only thing that has happened.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

There's a very long thread here on WW detailing some of the issues users have had with the Xpresso. Maybe some of the issues expressed in that are among those Time have tried to address.

As always, Time will tell.... or will they?

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

The main issue I had was that the outboard bearings were bushings and these wore out quickly. However with the last pair of pedals I bought Time had addressed this by replacing the bushings with needle roller bearings.

Attermann

by Attermann

I did that with one of mine too, what tool did you use to take the plastic nut off?

TonyM

by TonyM

Hawkwood wrote:The main issue I had was that the outboard bearings were bushings and these wore out quickly. However with the last pair of pedals I bought Time had addressed this by replacing the bushings with needle roller bearings.

Is this what made the Xpresso pedals having some bearing play quite fast?

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

TonyM wrote:
Hawkwood wrote:The main issue I had was that the outboard bearings were bushings and these wore out quickly. However with the last pair of pedals I bought Time had addressed this by replacing the bushings with needle roller bearings.

Is this what made the Xpresso pedals having some bearing play quite fast?

Yes, the outboard bushings were nylon or similar and these seemed to wear. The inboard bearings were bearings, these could get gritty and also wear, but were easily replaceable. The fix with the bushings was simply to replace them with 3-4 mini-bearings per pedal. Some reviews knocked Time pedals on the basis that it wasn't possible to service them, clearly the reviewers hadn't spent five minutes with a wrench to check.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Attermann wrote:I did that with one of mine too, what tool did you use to take the plastic nut off?

If you mean how did I unscrew the plastic bearing cover that holds the pedal together, I used a vice-grip (mole) wrench set to just lightly grip the plastic nut.

elpampeano

by elpampeano

More than 30.000 kms on a pair of Xpresso 2 without any issue...except the cleat change...i'm waiting for the new Xpro...

3Pio

by 3Pio

I was a big fan of Time, since i used their pedals in my MTB days (before i switched to CranBrothers EggBeaters..), and they were understructable and also cleats was lasting forever..

So bought Time Xpresso 10 and could not say im satisfied..

So what i hope they adressed:

- Cleats lasted between 500 - 1000 km (now im using Look Keo Blade 2 Ti, 3050 km on same pair of cleats in same conditions and still working. Im sure i'll get at least 3500 km or 4000 km with same pair).

- I dont like the I-Click. U hear the click, and u discover sometimes that u are not clicked in

- The plastic screw from the side is too fragile.. I tried to adjust the lateral float using screw driver, that bolt was almost ripped off..

- Once i tried to bunny hop some metal thing on the road, and both feet were un cliped in the air.. That was scarry..

- Also when i was pushing on the hills sometimes i got also uncliped..

So i switched to Look Keo and really satisfied for now.. Hope the Time will adress this issues in the new model and become what they were once..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

From and old man to another, I am glad you are back on your bike... :beerchug: