2018 Allez disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Drizzle

by Drizzle

What do you think.. will there be a Allez sprint disc version when Specialized releases the Tarmac disc? I would buy one..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pyrahna

by pyrahna

Drizzle wrote:What do you think.. will there be a Allez sprint disc version when Specialized releases the Tarmac disc? I would buy one..

There have been no rumors of this, and it is not in the 2018 catalog. Given that disc brake parts still cost more than their caliper equivalents I would not hold out hope for this to happen for a couple years.

morganb

by morganb

Nothing planned according to my friend who is a rep. An Allez Sprint disc would be an incredible technical crit bike.

Drizzle

by Drizzle

Damn.. ok then. I better start looking for some other alternative!

pyrahna

by pyrahna

morganb wrote:Nothing planned according to my friend who is a rep. An Allez Sprint disc would be an incredible technical crit bike.

Not trying to start a religious war...but why do you think disc brakes would help you in a technical crit?

Caveat emptor....I, and most of my teammates, race technical crits on an Allez Sprint.

Datmo

by Datmo

“We are going to stop selling full rim-brake road bikes, and will only sell them as framesets,” says Specialized PR spokesman Sean Estes.

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... int-51685/

It’d probably come with the new Shimano 105 R7000 disc groupset:
https://theride.cc/blogs/latest-news/sh ... ing-styles

So yeah, I expect to see the Allez Sprint as a disc model for 2019.
Last edited by Datmo on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

pyrahna wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:03 pm
morganb wrote:Nothing planned according to my friend who is a rep. An Allez Sprint disc would be an incredible technical crit bike.
Not trying to start a religious war...but why do you think disc brakes would help you in a technical crit?

Caveat emptor....I, and most of my teammates, race technical crits on an Allez Sprint.
Just scientific wild ass guessing-you could use the more precise modulation and braking power to reach Goldilocks speed for a given corner more often and with a longer decision time window. In addition, steering should be a little more precise due to the stiffness gain from thru axles.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

IMO crit is about explosive accelerating (low weight helps), fast cornering and positioning in the group.

The cornering part is the mostly depend on traction (tire choice and pressure). Some rim brake frames limit how wide your tire can be so upgrade to disc frame with wider internal rim wheel set and wider tires immediately upgrade traction and confidence through cornering. However, Allez Sprint already have plenty of clearance for 28c and some 30c on wide rim. Also, frame with geometry that bb stay higher like on Allez Sprint reduce chances of pedal strike compare to frame that have bb lower to the ground like new Tarmac SL6 which is as low as many other endurance bikes. That means the Allez Sprint maybe even a better bike in technical crit than a Tarmac SL6. Horse specialized for the course.

positioning in the group maybe improved with more confidence in your bike (mostly the tire -- grippier tire provide more available cornering lines that you can still stay upright, rather than trying to fight for a popular line) and maybe better brake help with confidence.

accelerating is a bit suffered from increased weight though. But Allez Sprint is not very light from the beginning.

I think disc on Allez Sprint is nice to have anyway. Eventhough it may not be a clear upgrade from rim brake version.

mule

by mule

As an owner of a Sprint, I would certainly purchase a disc version. Not holding my breath, just holding onto hope.

jlok

by jlok

The Allez Sprint Disc appears in the UCI approved frame and fork list.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jlok wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:38 pm
The Allez Sprint Disc appears in the UCI approved frame and fork list.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf
That's really quite intersting. I'm not sure how the approval proces works, but I'd assume that they'd have to submit an actual frame to the UCI for approval. Given that the date on the doc was in Jan. of this year and we haven't seen one yet, I'm wondering if this was a "just in case we decide to do it" move on Specialized's part. The biggest team they have racing on the Allez that I'm aware of is Axeon and it looked lke all of their riders at California running disc brakes were on Tarmacs.

I can't imagine it'd be really that hard for them to do given that the Sprint's current fork is off of the Tarmac, I imagine they'd just take the Tarmac Disc fork and then make minor modifications to the rear triangle. Either way, won't see me buying one anytime soon, I'm perfectly happy with the braking performance of my current Sprint and between it and my CX bike, I have too much invested in rim brake wheels to go having to get new ones.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

perplex

by perplex

Take my money
A Dane relocated to Sydney - and now back in CPH...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MickyC74

by MickyC74

Saw a pic of the Allez disc on the specialized B2B site yesterday. I think it must be coming out today some time (probably still under embargo).

The colour I saw looks, ummmm, interesting to say the least!