Custom carbon frame - which bottom bracket?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jever98

by jever98

hambini wrote:Hi,

For BB30, I can't make a bb30 bottom bracket. I've seen some people that make them one piece but they have frigged the bearings and will compromise life.

For PF30 to fit a BB30 crankset, that is doable but there is a general trend now towards BB30 (90mm) cranks. so they aren't 68mm anymore. So I can make them as a special but I don't keep them as a stock item.

Hope that helps

Hambini

Awesome! I will contact you for a PF30 black series. Do you know the weight off hand?
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

hambini wrote: Cannondale, Boardman and Cervelo all take the mick with their tolerances. Look and Time are at the other end of the spectrum.

You bring up a good point; BB30 isn't good for super mass produced frames. My Time Izon has been flawless for two years and many miles, as the BB30 bracket is perfectly machined. I'm also using Hawk Racing bearings which are brilliant.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

With tight tolerances, the BB30 will probably offer a wider range of crank options.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

T47 for futre proofing
Using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Bb30 is lightest and if it creaks I hear you can either use gap filler or special oversized bearings.

Although for your weight I might vote for BSA. Zero creak.

/a

hambini

by hambini

jever98 wrote:
hambini wrote:Hi,

For BB30, I can't make a bb30 bottom bracket. I've seen some people that make them one piece but they have frigged the bearings and will compromise life.

For PF30 to fit a BB30 crankset, that is doable but there is a general trend now towards BB30 (90mm) cranks. so they aren't 68mm anymore. So I can make them as a special but I don't keep them as a stock item.

Hope that helps

Hambini

Awesome! I will contact you for a PF30 black series. Do you know the weight off hand?

about 140g
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have 3 essentially pf30 frames - tarmac sl3 (osbb), slice rs and evo. Every time i thought i had a bb creak it was something else (cassette lockring, hollowgram lockring, pedal threads). I have pressed each bb myself with a cheap press from chain reaction. I grease the cups. Never a creak. A sram pf30 with the center plastic sleeve dremeled out ehich is not required unless di2 wires are running past is 69 grams.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mortirolo

by mortirolo

I vote T47.
My AX lightness composite integrated BB386EVO is a light and nice solution, but has limited crank compatibility.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm getting a custom frame (Ti not carbon) and I picked T47. I like the Chris King BB so I can use their grease injection tool. The BB should be the last thing I worry about when I ride.

I plan to use the Quarq DZero BB30 powermeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk