Do you use a saddle bag?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do you use a saddle bag?

Yes (Stop here)
48%
No (select reasons below)
17%
Rule 29 is Rule 29! Saddle bag is not cool!
8%
I can fit everything I need in my jersey pockets.
21%
There is no saddle bag out there that meets my needs.
2%
It doesn't match my bike.
1%
Other reason (if you don't mind, please respond with your reason).
3%

Total votes: 131

survivor

by survivor

I am just curious to know what the biking community think about saddle bag. I know there is Rule #29 that says saddle bag is a big NO NO but on the other hand it does provide cyclists the convenience of storing essentials during their ride. So which camp are you on?

If you use a saddle bag, please share what you pack in your saddle bag in below poll:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147658

rlanger

by rlanger

Yeah, those rules are also a load of crap, so feel free to break them at will.

Yes, I use a saddle bag. But, it's also the smallest possible saddle bag I could find that would fit a tube, two tire levers, a CO2 cannister, and a small patch kit.

I think it's the Scicon 210. It's perfect for my needs and still keeps my bike looking sleek.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It depends. If I'm going for PRs on segments, I don't carry anything except hydration and food. If I wanna feel stylish I use a Waterfield Cycling Ride Pouch. If I'm going to be practical, I use a Silca Premio. My emergency kit almost never includes tubes...just a DynaPlug Racer, minipump, extra contact lens, minitool, quicklink.

TonyM

by TonyM

I use saddle bags; however they are small as I take only the minimum.

I don‘t care about these different rules for new cyclists.

themidge

by themidge

I only use a saddle bag when I need/want two bottles, otherwise I use a chopped off bottle with a tube, tyre leavers, pump, and those Park Tool sticky patches.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

themidge wrote:I only use a saddle bag when I need/want two bottles, otherwise I use a chopped off bottle with a tube, tyre leavers, pump, and those Park Tool sticky patches.

Same here. Silica Premio for rides 100miles or longer (or rides with unknown water/rest stops). Anything shorter I fill my second bottle with a few tools (1 tube, 2 levers, 2 CO2, 1 spare 2032 battery)

JScycle

by JScycle

I think the no saddle bag rule is silly. Why use valuable pocket space on longer rides or put pressure/strain etc on your bag when not needed.
I use a Lezyne road caddy that holds:
- Tube
- 2x levers
- Very small co2 adapter with control
- Cartridge
On longer rides I will add:
- Multitool
- Patch kit
- Cable ties?

Roel W

by Roel W

I use saddle bag with a spare inner tire, tire lifters and a repair kit (glue, patches, small piece of sanding paper). A BBB Curvepack S is very small and not noticeable.
For longer rides I even use a small frame bag to carry enough food, bars, gels,.....It doesn't look pro but it's so usefull.
In that case I use the back pockets of my jersey only for a phone, money, keys of the car and/or house and identity card, small pocket camera and a bar or a few biscuits/piece of rices cake/....

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Why are you all using co2? I can't get my head around this. It takes 3 - 5 minutes to pump up a tube with a mini pump, and it is so much less damaging to the environment. Are you all racing?! Besides, most of you need the upper body workout this gives!

havana

by havana

Silca Seat roll here. Pretty stylish I would say.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

RTW wrote:Why are you all using co2?

We like to shoot paint-ball guns when we're not riding.

havana

by havana

I've been a die hard pump fan for about a decade untill I used CO2 for the first time. I only puncture about once / 5000 km's so I'm hardly polluting.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

RTW wrote:Why are you all using co2? I can't get my head around this. It takes 3 - 5 minutes to pump up a tube with a mini pump, and it is so much less damaging to the environment. Are you all racing?! Besides, most of you need the upper body workout this gives!

CO2 is not damaging to the environment. You're thinking Carbon monoxide, CO. CO2 is what we exhale and vegetation converts back to oxygen. Plus CO2 is more portable and quicker.

And yes, I do use a saddle bag with 2 CO2 cartridges , a spare tube, tire levers and a shop rag.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Nope. Spare tube, tire irons, and very small pump fit nicely in my jersey pockets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

Another vote for the silica seat roll.