Shimano SH-RC9 S-Phyre Road

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

Do the new Shimano SH S-Phyre run close to the size they advertise. I know the older models I had to go down a size as they seem to run larger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I have R170 and RC9 both in 43E and the RC9 is a little bit wider, length about the same.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

upside wrote:Do the new Shimano SH S-Phyre run close to the size they advertise. I know the older models I had to go down a size as they seem to run larger.

My bike, and normal, shoes tend to be 45
I ended up buying 44E RC9's...I felt the 45's had too space around the toes.

However, I don't think that this necessarily means they run large...just that the 44's are better for me.

Try before you buy if at all possible
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

upside

by upside

Thanks,, that's what I thought.

moyboy

by moyboy

Try before you buy, i have Shimano MTB shoes in 43 and S-Phyres in 43 but ended up getting 44 Wide as my feet are slightly a little wider and was getting numbness.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

I wore the same size as in Specialized, but I hated the S Phyres. It felt like I was riding directly on the pedal. Maybe it works better with Shimano pedals than Speedplays...
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

53x12

by 53x12

Any of you S-Phyre owners able to compare it to the Giro Empire in terms of fit and comfort? Really like the Giros but have thought about getting something new and the S-Phyre looks interesting.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

53x12 wrote:Any of you S-Phyre owners able to compare it to the Giro Empire in terms of fit and comfort? Really like the Giros but have thought about getting something new and the S-Phyre looks interesting.

Yep

I owned some Empire ACC's which I bought as I was seduced by the laces and they were on special.

They were too narrow for me, although I didn't realise this as I think all my previous cycle shoes have been too narrow...

I bought the wide version of the S-Phyres and they fit way better, consequently are more comfortable.

If I had narrower feet I think I'd have stuck with the Giros, I much prefer laceups to Boas.

The S-phyres feel light and are easily stiff enough

One thing I prefer about the S-Phyres is they dry a lot faster than the Empires, which is surprisingly important in winter... spring, autumn and sometimes summer. I really dislike having to put on wet shoes.

My experience is it's important to try before I buy.

Plus, it's always good to get new cycle gear
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

spartan

by spartan

i have sworks six size 44 perfect fit. i also have s-phyre 44. slightly more narrow on the front ~25gm heavier. the overall lenght is identical
imho sworks are a keeper might sell my s-phyre.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Sm0421

by Sm0421

Hi guys, just went in store and tried both S-works 6 and S-Phyres in size 46 as I was comparing these two. The S-works 6 fits much better.

Couple of things, my current shoe is Shimano R171 size 47 and my feet is usually size 12 in regular shoes and DD in width (wide feet). I think I somehow got into size 47 when I first got my R170 and always felt my R171 is fantastic in toe volume but a bit longer/wider in the heel area, always some movements around my heel. So I actually blindly just purchased S-works sub-6 on eBay in size 47 and found that it 1) too long and 2) the laces are very hard to secure and they got into my cranks all the time.

So now I'm stuck with the S-works sub 6 size 47 and decided to go to the store and try the 6 and S-Phyres both, turns out I'm actually size 46! Between the two shoes, the S-works 6 fits super snug and creates 0 space, and a bit lighter, the S-Phyres are actually narrower in toe box (than the S-works 6 and my current size 47 R171) and still has that wider heel area so there's some movement.

Bottom line is that you may need to try them both but I'm now going to buy the S-works 6 and try to sell my sub 6 in 47!! I will save my R171 for winter use where I wear double socks ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com