Deda, Superzero/Superleggera

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Hi chaps. My Bond frameset should be here soon, and I am starting to buy the parts that I need.

My first decision is bars, I have my eye on the Deda Superzero and the Superleggero, in carbon form.

I like the cable channels on both bars, makes it look much cleaner, there is a slight weight difference between the two bars, 50g lighter for the Superleggero.

Do you have any experience with either bar? Flex, comfort, durability?

Some have said the hood mounting on the Superzero is more limited, as the shape of the clamping area. I would buy matching stem too for both.

I currently have some 3T Aeronova on my current bike, so do I go round or semi aero this time.

Thanks
Luke
Last edited by PLuKE on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I haven't owned the Superzero bar but I gather it's just the Superleggera with a stretched top. I have had two sets of the Superleggera bars and think they're fantastic. I found them to be quite a bit stiffer in the drops than my Zipp or Enve aero bars - comparable to my Ritchey bars. It's been awhile since I've run 3T though so can't compare there. As for comfort, I can't say I've owned any carbon bar that was significantly more or less comfortable than another carbon bar.

And I think carbon bars only have two stages of durability; intact or broken. Fortunately, I've only experienced one. Not crashing helps.

As far as the stem, the Superzero looks quite a bit bulkier than SL so the aesthetic is something to consider. It's also quite a bit heavier. I think my SL stem was ~108g in 110mm and the 120mm Superzero was ~140g

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I don't have experience with the bars, but the SuperZero stem is perfect for the BOND IMO. Both the -8 angle and the shape/flare match the BOND top tube very well.

SuperZero 120mm:

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I have the Superleggera bars on my Parlee and love them. I went through a number of bars before trying these and sticking with them. They are comfortable; I like the bend; and they are relatively short reach -- I'm using Di2 levers which are longer reach than mechanical and I wanted a shorter reach bar to compensate.

Some carbon bars aren't appreciably lighter than their aluminum counterparts. The Superleggera's are, though.

As Imaking20 said, carbon bars have only two stages of durability: intact and broken. Take good care of your carbon bars. I've had a pair damaged in transit but otherwise ok.

Except... I had a pair of carbon DH bars. I had a small crash in the Whistler bike park. The bike looked fine, I got back up, starting riding away, and the left bar broke off in my hand. Oopsie! I was going slowly; I wasn't able to stop without a small crash but I was very lucky overall. Had the bars broken while I was riding faster, or on a jump or a drop, I could have been very seriously hurt. I replaced them with aluminum bars.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thank you for the input. I would usually go for carbon bars, for reasons pointed out. But I tried a demo bike with carbon bars, and the stone chipping they lay down here felt very different, much smoother in road vibrations I never wear gloves either. So with the new frame coming I wanted to try out some out.

There around a 60-70g saving in weight with Superleggera bar/stem setup compared to the Superzero.

I shall keep looking before pulling the trigger

Luke

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thank you for the input. I would usually go for carbon bars, for reasons pointed out. But I tried a demo bike with carbon bars, and the stone chipping they lay down here felt very different, much smoother in road vibrations I never wear gloves either. So with the new frame coming I wanted to try out some out.

There around a 60-70g saving in weight with Superleggera bar/stem setup compared to the Superzero.

I shall keep looking before pulling the trigger

Luke

moonoi

by moonoi

I have the Superleggara bar/stem on my C60, it’s very comfortable and stiff enough, however if you’re a strong sprinter you will find they flex quite a bit when you’re putting the power down, that’s the only issue I found with them. They are amazingly light though and not too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c60rider

by c60rider

I have the superzero stem/bar combo on one bike and the superleggera RS stem/bar combo on my C60. I would buy the superleggera every time over the superzero's mainly because you cannot get the hoods high enough and end up tilting the bars up. I don't have my hoods that high compared to many others either. I can just get them perfect on the superleggera's but there's not much spare in that. I'm not a big powerful rider particularly at 70kg and 5ft 10 and top sprint I'm hitting 1300 watts and I'm not aware of the bars flexing quite a bit as some have said. It all feels solid as a rock to me. I would say try to look at them in person to check the height of the hoods before committing to the superzeros though the tops of them feel great.

bdgroadbiker

by bdgroadbiker

Imaking20 wrote:I haven't owned the Superzero bar but I gather it's just the Superleggera with a stretched top. I have had two sets of the Superleggera bars and think they're fantastic. I found them to be quite a bit stiffer in the drops than my Zipp or Enve aero bars - comparable to my Ritchey bars. It's been awhile since I've run 3T though so can't compare there. As for comfort, I can't say I've owned any carbon bar that was significantly more or less comfortable than another carbon bar.

And I think carbon bars only have two stages of durability; intact or broken. Fortunately, I've only experienced one. Not crashing helps.

As far as the stem, the Superzero looks quite a bit bulkier than SL so the aesthetic is something to consider. It's also quite a bit heavier. I think my SL stem was ~108g in 110mm and the 120mm Superzero was ~140g

Hi, I'm interest with deda superleggera that your post on For sale forum, Is the condition still good?

Regards,

bdgroadbiker

Imaking20

by Imaking20

bdgroadbiker wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:I haven't owned the Superzero bar but I gather it's just the Superleggera with a stretched top. I have had two sets of the Superleggera bars and think they're fantastic. I found them to be quite a bit stiffer in the drops than my Zipp or Enve aero bars - comparable to my Ritchey bars. It's been awhile since I've run 3T though so can't compare there. As for comfort, I can't say I've owned any carbon bar that was significantly more or less comfortable than another carbon bar.

Hi, I'm interest with deda superleggera that your post on For sale forum, Is the condition still good?

Regards,

bdgroadbiker

Yeah, they've just been sitting in my parts collection. Shoot me a PM if you can.

bdgroadbiker

by bdgroadbiker

Imaking20 wrote:
bdgroadbiker wrote:

And I think carbon bars only have two stages of durability; intact or broken. Fortunately, I've only experienced one. Not

Regards,
bdgroadbiker

Yeah, they've just been sitting in my parts collection. Shoot me a PM if you can.

Already done a PM to You. Thanks

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Can anyone provide some links to carbon Deda stems and bars. I'm finding alloy, but not carbon.

Thanks

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Greatestalltime wrote:Can anyone provide some links to carbon Deda stems and bars. I'm finding alloy, but not carbon.

Thanks

http://www.dedaelementi.com/?product_cat=superleggera&lang=en

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

Deda don't do carbon stems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com