ENVE SES 4.5 with ENVE hub => brake rub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

ergott wrote:CX-Sprint and DT Aero Comp are equivalent to Sapim Race and DT Competitions respectively. They should help. Honestly, a different hub would make a bigger difference. Nothing beats the Wheels Mfg hub for this. Better bracing angles and also better bearing placement so there's less unsupported axle. It's like going from a square taper crank/BB to outboard BB setup.

I am seeing on Enve website that they are using "DT Swiss Aerolite and Sapim CX Ray interchangeably".

From what I understand now the CX Ray are not strong enough but would the "DT Aerolite" be strong enough?
If not would the DT Aero speed spokes be adequate ? or the heavier DT Aero comp or even the DT new aero?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

From what I have gleaned over the years, both of those spokes are strong enough but they do not have as great a cross sectional area as thicker spokes do, and the thicker the spoke, the stiffer the wheel.

ergott

by ergott

Interesting!

PolyLight Spokes are easier to build wheels with because the viscoelastic properties of the polymer build tension more slowly than stainless steel.

My concern here is if there's enough threading in a typical nipple and threaded end of spoke. Should be okay since when lacing your average wheel you end up turning the nipples 10-15 turns before they even start to have any tension. Tension would start sooner and I assume the stretch would be factored into spoke length.

I'd build with them to see how they are.

ergott

by ergott

TonyM wrote:I am seeing on Enve website that they are using "DT Swiss Aerolite and Sapim CX Ray interchangeably".

The cross sectional area of the two models is about the same (1.5mm circle forged into shape) so they build into similar performing wheels. As mentioned above, it's not strength that's the issue. The issue is lateral flex of the wheel. The greater the cross sectional area of the spoke (Aero Comps and CX-Sprint same cross sectional area as 1.8mm circle), the great the resistance to spoke stretch which leads to wheel flex. Imagine using a thicker cable to pull with a winch. Spokes pull the rim in place unless they go completely slack.

TonyM

by TonyM

ergott wrote:
TonyM wrote:I am seeing on Enve website that they are using "DT Swiss Aerolite and Sapim CX Ray interchangeably".

The cross sectional area of the two models is about the same (1.5mm circle forged into shape) so they build into similar performing wheels. As mentioned above, it's not strength that's the issue. The issue is lateral flex of the wheel. The greater the cross sectional area of the spoke (Aero Comps and CX-Sprint same cross sectional area as 1.8mm circle), the great the resistance to spoke stretch which leads to wheel flex. Imagine using a thicker cable to pull with a winch. Spokes pull the rim in place unless they go completely slack.

Thanks for the clarification ! :thumbup:

Which DT aero spokes would be adequate ?

ergott

by ergott

DT Aero Comp. They are thicker than Aerolite and hard to tell apart unless you measure them.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/spo ... aero-comp/

zappafile123

by zappafile123

kavitator wrote:http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunking_Wheel_Stiffness_3449.html

great article, thanks for sharing
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

I have the new Enve 3.4 tubeless wheels - with the Enve hubs.

Initially, put them on and got brake rub. But I had some super lightweight titanium skewers on. Then I put the original Enve skewers on (which are more solid) and brake rub also completely disappeared. I can still feel just a tinge of wheel flex but this is when I'm putting out max power - which is only a few seconds (around 1000w). I weigh 63kg and use a lot of upper body to "twist" the bike when sprinting so this might be a cause for you if you frame is flexy too.

So - try some more solid/clamping skewers to begin with.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've been up to 100kg on my 4.5 NBTs w/CK45 hubs.

I have rubbing from new, so took the wheels to a local wheel builder and he was shocked how badly the wheels had been built.

Adjusted / replaced all the spokes (same were way too short and barely in the nipple), wheels are now perfect.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

We always make sure a rider swaps to a heavier gauge QR on the rear at least as a process of elimination on wheel flex issues.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I was having the same problem on a set of SES 3.4 (2017 model) with the Enve carbon hubs. I called Enve and they sent me a heavier QR which did not help. I took them to my local shop and the tension of the spokes was too low - they adjusted and now I am not getting any brake rub.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Interesting - just wonder how many people have experienced issues with their enve carbon rear hub ?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Occasional rub out of the saddle
But overall pretty rare 82kg though.. so not light
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Im 62kg and easily induced brake rub with the rim built to a DT240. IMO a wheel is poorly designed if its easy to induce brake rub - its automatically thrown in the 'do not buy' basket. Enve is crap haha
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biwa

by biwa

Slightly off topic, how does the carbon enve hubs compare to DT240 and CK r45 for enve wheels (3.4 or 4.5)? Is it worth the upgrade and how easy is their maintanence?