Black bike, yellow stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Recently put together the attached bike. I always liked very dark bikes in photos but now in real I think it is a bit bleak.
The dark blue tape is leftover from previous frame.
Plan is to get black tape and stitch it with yellow thread (I have a sewing machine) to match the yellow lines on the frame. These lines are a bit more lively in real, photos are taken in bad light. I always loved the looks of middle stitched tape.
Second option would be white tape (would match the bold frame logos) and third option, yellow tape.

All this yellow theme will be further matched by gumwall tires once I wear through the current black ones.

More important, I need a new stem. I had my eyes on the Ritchey superlogic and found an yellow version at a 30e discount, which is not to be ignored. It is a striking thing and I have a hard time deciding if I will hate it or love it. Worst part is my wife will know :)

Attached two bikes off the net.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Attachments
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Bike in 3rd pic looks alright. It’s all about execution and the final package.

Black tape with yellow stitching should look good, too.

Is there a question here?

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Thanks. I guess the question is would the yellow stem look gaudy?

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I think if you have to ask, then you probably already know the answer. 30€ (to me) isn't a compelling reason to make an aesthetic compromise you'll be looking at for a few years.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Buy the stem, and some sandpaper. Rough it up a bit, then spray it mat black. I did this to a Ritchey stem, which was wet gloss and looked out of place. Looked great.

Actually, buy the yellow stem and keep it.

Get yellow shoes and helmet too.

jorryt

by jorryt

Go with the yellow stem. You need some colour in your life!

tomycs

by tomycs

If you like it, keep it. With Mavic in cycling you'll never be short of yellow bits (on you or the bike). You could also move to a town where local team colours are black and yellow :-)

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Use the yellow stem :thumbup:

I applaud everything that takes us a little bit away from Stealth bikes, and have a serious addiction to Flourescent yellow :oops:

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

bilwit

by bilwit

I dig it. Would look good with the yellow decal on the bike already. Looks particularly good on the stealth bike example, really stands out.

AJS914

by AJS914

Yellow stem - no, big mistake!

At least it's easy to undo! :D

2old4this

by 2old4this

jorryt wrote:Go with the yellow stem. You need some colour in your life!

I agree :-)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmELerXy0Rtoh9svsGo9Gv5UgifEFQ

RussellS

by RussellS

No on the yellow stem. Even with yellow decals it will look odd standing out against everything else black. Yellow stem is only good if its on a yellow frame with a few black bits tossed in for contrast. Think about tigers, the cat. They are mostly yellow/orange with some black or maybe 50/50 black/yellow. They are not mostly black with a little yellow. Tigers look good to me the way they are colored. Half-half or most yellow with some black. Contrasting colors look good if its all light with a small dark. Don't look good if its mostly dark with some light color contrast. No on the white bar tape. I have some on one bike. Does not look good after awhile. Dirty. If you are a pro and have a mechanic changing tape every other ride, then its good. Pros can use white tape and make it look good. Everyone else, stay away.

AJS914

by AJS914

2old4this wrote:
jorryt wrote:Go with the yellow stem. You need some colour in your life!

I agree :-)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmELerXy0Rtoh9svsGo9Gv5UgifEFQ

I like your bar tape! That really works at complementing the small bits of color on the bike.

sp3000

by sp3000

For me no, stands out too much not in a good way.. It reminds me of the leaders bikes in the TDF when they dress up in yellow and usually look terrible!

But it's such a subjective thing and the price is functional, so up to your eyes my friend!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

I just got bored with all black bikes. Sometimes it works (I think :noidea:)