Black bike, yellow stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Maybe get some fluorescent/reflective yellow tape as well and experiment a bit. Because safety is always fashionable. :)

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

I wouldn't do it, because the yellow of the stem is not going to match the yellow lines on the frame. On an all black frame, the stem would be ok.

I would go with the yellow stitching on black bar tape and additionally, you could look for another small touch of yellow. Maybe the outer cables of the rear brake where it exits the frame to the brake and of the rear derailleur where it exits the chainstay. The Shimano yellow outer cable is quite a non-fluo darkish yellow.

I'd also like white bar tape on the frame, but you'd also need a white saddle then and you'd have to change the tape like every 4 - 10 weeks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

Yellow stem, yes. But not with gumwall. The yellow/tan colour of the tyre wont match the yellow stem.

srshaw

by srshaw

Black and yellow is a bit lance Armstrong. Not a look I would personally try to emulate.!

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

srshaw wrote:Black and yellow is a bit lance Armstrong. Not a look I would personally try to emulate.!

And you might be hated by Browns Fans in the US or by Schalke 04 Fans in Germany :D

r33prman

by r33prman

All black with a touch of color from the Fluor stem will look great. I'm a yes!

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Thank you all! Now I will disappoint half of you and say I went for black. The radioactive color seemed too much and indeed not a perfect match to the rest of the yellow accents.
Also did a first quick run with the stitched thing. Rather pleased. Used my favorite tape (cheap basic but perfect for my hands Deda) and I'd say it would go better with a less compressible or stretchy tape. When pulled hard the thread sinks in and becomes less visible. Leather would work perfect but I am not a fan of the feel. Next time will try to stitch over again so I get a thicker pattern. Thread is kevlar btw, yellow is its natural color :) Expensive stuff but sitting unused for a few years (I used it in the past to DIY mountaineering overboots)

BTW stem came a bit overweight (130g vs 125) but old stem was over too, 171 vs 163 claimed. Maybe they weight them without bolts :)
Attachments
bb1.jpg
bb3.jpg
bb4.jpg