I'm having issues pairing my pioneer powermeter with my Wahoo Elemnt

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Anikdote

by Anikdote

Does anyone here have any experience with pairing a Pioneer powermeter to a Wahoo computer device or getting it into ANT+ mode?

It is dual sided and I can't seem to get it into ANT+ mode.
I tried all methods that pioneer provided such as this manual https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Cycle%20Sports/Pioneer%20Cycle%20Sport%20Quick%20Guide%207-7-16.pdf

Both side shows up with a solid green light. I spin the cranks 3-4 rotations, held the push button for 3 seconds, and it just doesn't seem to go into ANT+ mode or blink orange for me.

If anyone have any solutions, it will be greatly appreciated.

I might have to purchase a Pioneer computer if all fails.

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Remove the batteries and let it sit for a few minutes. then carefully follow the instructions in order to remove it from its locked pioneer mode. good luck!
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djwalker

by djwalker

I have a Pioneer powermeter and an Elemnt. I also have a Pioneer computer. What I did was put it into powermeter mode using the Pioneer computer. Then it paired just fine with the Elemnt.

tomee

by tomee

i had the pioneer dual sided on a bike and wanted to split them up to put on another bike.
I did what djwalker said and put them both into power mode instead of pedalling monitor

Anikdote

by Anikdote

djwalker wrote:I have a Pioneer powermeter and an Elemnt. I also have a Pioneer computer. What I did was put it into powermeter mode using the Pioneer computer. Then it paired just fine with the Elemnt.

Did you ever have to pair the elemnt with the powermeter again after every ride?

djwalker

by djwalker

I paired my Pioneer once (just like all of my sensors) and it has stayed paired since then. I just turn the computer on, get on, and ride. The powermeter wakes up after a few seconds and then everything is good. I don't know what would happen if you start the computer and then don't wake up the powermeter until a while later. The computer might stop looking after some amount of time. So, I would rotate the cranks to wake up the powermeter when the computer is powering up if you were worried about it.

marcelflash

by marcelflash

Only the software from the last 2 years 2015-05-01 in the crank and display works with the pioneer display to switch mode.
The old way was with the button in the battery compartiment.

2.2.1.3 Confirmation of the actual sensor mode.
When the batteries are installed, the LEDs on the left and right transmitters light as follows depending on the actual
sensor mode.
• When it is in pedaling monitor mode: The LEDs light green for 10 seconds
• When it is in dual power meter mode: The LEDs light orange for 10 seconds
• When it is in single power meter mode: The LEDs blink orange for 10 seconds

copied from the manual

marcelflash

by marcelflash

The mode can be switched in two ways

[Method 1] Switch by pushing the push switch in the right transmitter
[Method 2] Switch the mode on SGX-CA500

2.2.1 [Method 1] Switch by pushing the push switch in the right transmitter
When using a Cyclocomputer from another manufacturer, switch with this method.

2.2.1.1 Loosen the screws on the right transmitter cover and remove the cover.

2.2.1.2 Replacing the batteries of the left and right transmitters. The operation is enabled for 5 minutes after the batteries are
installed. Switch within 5 minutes. If more than 5 minutes elapse, re-install the batteries
of the left and right sensors.

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

tomee wrote:i had the pioneer dual sided on a bike and wanted to split them up to put on another bike.
I did what djwalker said and put them both into power mode instead of pedalling monitor

Woah! You just made me realize that I can have power on both my bikes if I split the LT arm up. How off/accurate is your power reading with just 1 left arm on 1 bike and the Crank on the other bike? Compared to when you had duel leg on the same bike. Considering the system was made to calculate duel.

tomee

by tomee

MomentumR5 wrote:
tomee wrote:i had the pioneer dual sided on a bike and wanted to split them up to put on another bike.

Woah! You just made me realize that I can have power on both my bikes if I split the LT arm up. How off/accurate is your power reading with just 1 left arm on 1 bike and the Crank on the other bike? Compared to when you had duel leg on the same bike. Considering the system was made to calculate duel.

havent noticed anything different power wise.
although i do have a more predominant left leg, so teh bike with the right sided PM might read a little lower but im OK with that.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Find someone or a shop with the Pioneer head unit and use that to switch it into dual-Ant mode. Should work normally after that.

Also take the opportunity to update the meter’s firmware. It is a slow process and requires a relatively new battery in the power meter.

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

tomee wrote:
MomentumR5 wrote:

although i do have a more predominant left leg, so teh bike with the right sided PM might read a little lower but im OK with that.

Ha. My LT is stronger too. Is this a fit issue?

Darceking

by Darceking

tomee wrote:
MomentumR5 wrote:

Good news, the latest Pioneer Computer update can change the % so if you are running a single side Pioneer, you can adjust the % for that leg.

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

Darceking wrote:
tomee wrote:
MomentumR5 wrote:

Good news, the latest Pioneer Computer update can change the % so if you are running a single side Pioneer, you can adjust the % for that leg.

What is the latest software update? I've looked but nothing is new for the Ca500 or the Pioneer PM.

PinaF8

by PinaF8

MomentumR5 wrote:
Darceking wrote:
tomee wrote:
MomentumR5 wrote:

What is the latest software update? I've looked but nothing is new for the Ca500 or the Pioneer PM.

Version of firmware : 20170927.02.57
You can check the version of your firmware as described below.
Confirmation procedure : [Settings] - [System] - [Firmware Version]
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com