Lightest 30mm crank (bb30 = ok) with removable spider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

Couldn't resist...
That's the total weight including 3D printed titanium DS + NDS arms and alu axle, 130BCD spider with 36T inner ring and clamping mechanism but without BB bearings, chainring bolts or a big ring.

The production version will be gain about 10-15 grams or so, and the wait is now for new printed arms with a slight redesign. The final issue remaining is some finetuning of the production process before releasing them into the wild. Separate spiders will also be available.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thumper88

by thumper88

Hard to beat the grams to dollars of an s-works. A really good used one -- no axle wear -- is a huge bargain in the world of light cranks and will last forever. I favor the scratched up ones. Quick sanding and a bit of clear coat and its nearly good as new for a pittance,

AZR3

by AZR3

mythical wrote:Couldn't resist...
That's the total weight including 3D printed titanium DS + NDS arms and alu axle, 130BCD spider with 36T inner ring and clamping mechanism but without BB bearings, chainring bolts or a big ring.

The production version will be gain about 10-15 grams or so, and the wait is now for new printed arms with a slight redesign. The final issue remaining is some finetuning of the production process before releasing them into the wild. Separate spiders will also be available.

I was waiting for someone to come out with a light weight 3D printed Ti crankset, just seems like a great use for 3D printing. You can build up some internal structure to make it light and stiff, I imagine price will be $$$$$ though

thumper88

by thumper88

alcatraz wrote:A user did a comparison and here are the findings:

2010 or 2011 Specialized crank - 175mm / 52/36 - comes with alloy spider
- 556g for complete crankset
- 149g for Left Arm
- 237g for Right Arm + Alu Spider
- 34g for 36t chainring
- 116g for 52t chainring

2011 S-works crank - 172.5 50/34 - comes with carbon spider
- 520g for complete crankset
- 152g for Left Arm
- 223g for Right Arm w/Carbon Spider
- 30g for 34t chainring
- 99g for 'S-works' 50t chainring

It appears the difference is in the spider. None of these two weigh over 400gr though. I suspect newer models have been beefed up compared to the old ones. Good for people like me though that like to save a buck and buy older stuff.

/a

I did same comparison between a pro-level one with alloy spider and an s-works one and then removed the spiders and weighed the bits separately. I can't remember the difference in spider weight, maybe 20-30 grams, but... that WAS the sole difference. They weren't identical otherwise but so close that it was manufacturing margins, logo etc... like, @12 grams.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What about crank lengths? Maybe thats where the difference was.

I'm looking solely for 170mm cranks.

/a

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mythical wrote:Couldn't resist...

Any chance you'll have this for BBRight, 172.5, 110BCD ?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mythical

by mythical

All of the above, except it won't be compatible with Trek's annoying BB90 drop-in bearing shell.
BB standards it does support: BSA, ITA, BB30, BB30A, BB386Evo, BBright and BB86 (did I forget any?)
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

romalor

by romalor

Threadfit 47 ;)

AZR3

by AZR3

So what’s the ETA and price on this crazy crank?

eric01

by eric01

Isn't T47 the same as BB30 from a crank compatibility point of view? 30mm spindle, long enough to clear 68mm shell. yes obviously not the same from a frame point of view (threaded).
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

nickf

by nickf

My lightning crank

Non driveside arm-153g
Driveside w/ 110bcd spider- 226
Built with extralite MC rings- 492

30mm spindle w/ a wide spindle. Will fit a standard 68mm bsa shell with their bb.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

nickf wrote:My lightning crank

Non driveside arm-153g
Driveside w/ 110bcd spider- 226
Built with extralite MC rings- 492

30mm spindle w/ a wide spindle. Will fit a standard 68mm bsa shell with their bb.

Really cool. Can a wide spindle be mounted or does it have to come from the factory?

/a

dlud

by dlud

My Cannondale SISL2 comes in at 496g:
50/34 Spidering: 158g
DS crank/spindle/bolts/lock ring: 213g
NDS crank: 125g

alistaird

by alistaird

My Campy Over Torque:

ImageDSC_0048 by A&D D, on Flickr

A

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

alistaird wrote:My Campy Over Torque:

Nice crank. It does not have a removable spider.

alcatraz wrote:Lightest 30mm crank (bb30 = ok) with removable spider

alcatraz wrote:This time I'd like a removable spider

:wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.