2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Torbjorn
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm

by Torbjorn

queloque67 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:07 pm
Torbjorn wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:53 pm
queloque67: going with the black-on-black one, you?
If I can convince myself to get the non Ultralight disc it would be the black-on-black.

I'm pretty disappointed with whats going on with their logistics with their bikes like the above poster mentioned. Mislabeling boxes, ultralight advertised on their website than removed.

I'm planning my next trip to the Alps and Tenerife, Spain so it would be nice to have the bike.
Yes, it seems pretty messy. Hopefully they will sort it all out.

Seems like - for the disc version - the difference between the Ultralight and the regular is minuscule, so I think you would be very satisfied with the normal one :)

I live by the foot of the Alps, in Lausanne in Switzerland. Every week/weekend I go climbing in the Alps around me, typically a couple of HC climbs per day. If you're coming cycling in this area, drop me a message and we can do a ride together :)

Good luck with your purchase!

by Weenie


queloque67
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am

by queloque67

Torbjorn wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:24 am
queloque67 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:07 pm
Torbjorn wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:53 pm
queloque67: going with the black-on-black one, you?
If I can convince myself to get the non Ultralight disc it would be the black-on-black.

I'm pretty disappointed with whats going on with their logistics with their bikes like the above poster mentioned. Mislabeling boxes, ultralight advertised on their website than removed.

I'm planning my next trip to the Alps and Tenerife, Spain so it would be nice to have the bike.
Yes, it seems pretty messy. Hopefully they will sort it all out.

Seems like - for the disc version - the difference between the Ultralight and the regular is minuscule, so I think you would be very satisfied with the normal one :)

I live by the foot of the Alps, in Lausanne in Switzerland. Every week/weekend I go climbing in the Alps around me, typically a couple of HC climbs per day. If you're coming cycling in this area, drop me a message and we can do a ride together :)

Good luck with your purchase!
Sure thing. I usually stay in Bergamo, Italy at my Girlfriend's parents house when i'm out there.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Torbjorn wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:24 am

Yes, it seems pretty messy. Hopefully they will sort it all out.

Seems like - for the disc version - the difference between the Ultralight and the regular is minuscule, so I think you would be very satisfied with the normal one :)

I live by the foot of the Alps, in Lausanne in Switzerland. Every week/weekend I go climbing in the Alps around me, typically a couple of HC climbs per day. If you're coming cycling in this area, drop me a message and we can do a ride together :)

Good luck with your purchase!

I think the difference between UL and regular S-Works has always been miniscule and what actually happened was the rim-brake frames were ALL massively over claimed weight. This must have been the reason for the 9 month delay. They probably completely reworked the lay-up schedule from their July prototype because otherwise the disc frames would have come in around 880g for the raw/hologram version and almost 1kg for the painted ones.

I kinda feel bad for the rim-brake SL6 owners, especially the ones who bought the Ultralight. They got scammed. 800g actual for a 56cm raw black disc brake frame is a lot closer to my painted Emonda Disc’s 745g...and it’s considerably more aero. Specialized should be taken to task for all the ~850g rim-brake “Ultralights” they sold.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Kayba
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 8:11 pm
Location: W-City

by Kayba

sychen wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:44 pm
This is my build.. Pretty much standard off the floor except with non-weenie power pro elaston saddle (just wanted to try it out).
Fitting done for my 170cm body with relatively short legs. One spacer under the 90mm stem for now..

Picking up tomorrow after some minor tweaks.
Will get the weight done before leaving thr shop. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Nice! Curious to hear about your first impressions of the Elaston Power saddle

CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

sychen wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:44 pm
This is my build.. Pretty much standard off the floor except with non-weenie power pro elaston saddle (just wanted to try it out).
Fitting done for my 170cm body with relatively short legs. One spacer under the 90mm stem for now..

Picking up tomorrow after some minor tweaks.
Will get the weight done before leaving thr shop. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That is such a sick looking bike. Congrats! Have you tried the power saddle before? I love it on my TT bike, but hated it on my norma road bikes.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

sychen
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 pm

by sychen

Yes i have the "normal" Power Pro and love it on my current old bike.
Wanted to try the "thousand pillows" BS (ahem.. sales pitch) :D

aaronpass
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:32 am

by aaronpass

Great looking bike! I run the power on all my bikes. Best saddle I've ever owned.
2018 OPEN U.P. Di2
2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert 29
2016 Specialized Fuse Carbon
2015 Specialized Fatboy Carbon
2015 Specialized Crux Single Speed

queloque67
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am

by queloque67

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:20 am
Torbjorn wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:24 am

Yes, it seems pretty messy. Hopefully they will sort it all out.

Seems like - for the disc version - the difference between the Ultralight and the regular is minuscule, so I think you would be very satisfied with the normal one :)

I live by the foot of the Alps, in Lausanne in Switzerland. Every week/weekend I go climbing in the Alps around me, typically a couple of HC climbs per day. If you're coming cycling in this area, drop me a message and we can do a ride together :)

Good luck with your purchase!

I think the difference between UL and regular S-Works has always been miniscule and what actually happened was the rim-brake frames were ALL massively over claimed weight. This must have been the reason for the 9 month delay. They probably completely reworked the lay-up schedule from their July prototype because otherwise the disc frames would have come in around 880g for the raw/hologram version and almost 1kg for the painted ones.

I kinda feel bad for the rim-brake SL6 owners, especially the ones who bought the Ultralight. They got scammed. 800g actual for a 56cm raw black disc brake frame is a lot closer to my painted Emonda Disc’s 745g...and it’s considerably more aero. Specialized should be taken to task for all the ~850g rim-brake “Ultralights” they sold.
That sucks. They advertised a lighter weight for a while too. So ethically wrong.

timgrange
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:30 pm

by timgrange

Picked mine up today. Looks way better in person.

Size 56 is 14 lbs 10oz., 6.63kg with Enve 3.4 clinchers, stem, Garmin mount & 2 cages, and Dura Ace pedals. Everything else is stock.
Attachments
409D1F76-37B0-4C3C-A9F1-BDB859325E54.jpeg
Last edited by timgrange on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torbjorn
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm

by Torbjorn

Everyone keeps saying "the bike looks so much better in person", but I think it looks amazing in photos! :D

willmac
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 am

by willmac

timgrange wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:25 am
Picked mine up today. Looks way better in person.
This is very nice. I think 3.4’s really compliment the frame thickness. 👍

sychen
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 pm

by sychen

Pick up mine club member number 2..

Yes i know pedals not horizontal.. Had no time today.. Pickup and stash. Will have the maiden voyage tomorrow.

Weight with speedplay cromoly / s works cages and the weighty power pro elaston hits just under 7kg according to my scale(the ol carry the bike method) . That's 216 grams of pedals/40g of S-works cages/80gs more of saddle using advertised weights.
Bike in its original form out of the box should be less than 6.8kg easily, not sure about the advertised 6.67kg for a 56cm in one of the reviews though. 200grams of grease in the speedplays?

Not fussed though.. Just like to keep a record.

After I put on all the normal riding gear like garmin/fly6/12/kedge mount / bell(yes I'm in Australia so it's needed by law) it's gona pork up anyway. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


queloque67
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am

by queloque67

sychen wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 am
Pick up mine club member number 2..

Yes i know pedals not horizontal.. Had no time today.. Pickup and stash. Will have the maiden voyage tomorrow.

Weight with speedplay cromoly / s works cages and the weighty power pro elaston hits just under 7kg according to my scale(the ol carry the bike method) . That's 216 grams of pedals/40g of S-works cages/80gs more of saddle using advertised weights.
Bike in its original form out of the box should be less than 6.8kg easily, not sure about the advertised 6.67kg for a 56cm in one of the reviews though. 200grams of grease in the speedplays?

Not fussed though.. Just like to keep a record.

After I put on all the normal riding gear like garmin/fly6/12/kedge mount / bell(yes I'm in Australia so it's needed by law) it's gona pork up anyway. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
And would be lighter with Tubs.........looks nice!!

spazmaster
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:14 pm

by spazmaster

timgrange wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:25 am
Picked mine up today. Looks way better in person.
Really nice bike and good picture! Which handle bars are those?

queloque67
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am

by queloque67

So this pro's tarmac disc comes at 7.16 grams. And of course a paint job that doesn't match what is sold to the consumer. White text S-WORKS.
I was expecting the logo to look like this for the frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLv6uXLDJGE

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post