2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
photocycler

by photocycler

colagreek wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 pm
Shrike wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 pm
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:22 am
romanmoser wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm
no more disc brakes or venge ?
No more discs, thinking Campy this time.
Curious, how come the move away from discs? Just stripped my rim S5 to sell it and not sure which way I’ll go next..
It’s all a feel preference, nothing more.
It is a preference but I will say living in the Pacific Northwest where it can be wet and it’s very hilly, I feel it’s a big advanatge. The stopping power is unmatched on the steep hills here and you don’t get the same fade on the long descents.

If I lived back in Florida where it was flat and most don’t ride in the wet, couldn’t see a good reason to have discs with the weight penalty.

colagreek

by colagreek

photocycler wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 pm
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 pm
Shrike wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 pm
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:22 am

No more discs, thinking Campy this time.
Curious, how come the move away from discs? Just stripped my rim S5 to sell it and not sure which way I’ll go next..
It’s all a feel preference, nothing more.
It is a preference but I will say living in the Pacific Northwest where it can be wet and it’s very hilly, I feel it’s a big advanatge. The stopping power is unmatched on the steep hills here and you don’t get the same fade on the long descents.

If I lived back in Florida where it was flat and most don’t ride in the wet, couldn’t see a good reason to have discs with the weight penalty.
100% agree with your comments.

by Weenie

Tarmacian

by Tarmacian

ichobi wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 pm
Just search #tarmacsl6 or #tarmacsl6disc or #sworkstarmac on instagram. Plenty of photos.
I did, but haven’t found any clear shots of the white

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

CrankAddictsRich wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Specialized updates bikes every 3 years, so you can expect without a doubt that the Tarmac will be updated next summer, probably see a bike or two under a rider in the Dauphine with a big announcement just before the TDF where all team members will be on the new bike, except for maybe Sagan or the sprinters which will be on Venge for the fast/sprint races.
cant trust that anymore..
venge vias laster what..1-1.5years
I feel like the last roubaix was only 2 years..

Specialized needs to slow there roll.

robeambro

by robeambro

spdntrxi wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 pm
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Specialized updates bikes every 3 years, so you can expect without a doubt that the Tarmac will be updated next summer, probably see a bike or two under a rider in the Dauphine with a big announcement just before the TDF where all team members will be on the new bike, except for maybe Sagan or the sprinters which will be on Venge for the fast/sprint races.

Well I don’t know about the Roubaix, but the Vias lasted little cause it just wasn’t working well for pro riders, and I would expect sales weren’t as high as they hoped either. I don’t think it was Specialized’s intention to kill the Vias this early..

ichobi

by ichobi

From where Iive the Vias was a diaster according to the local importer data. The Dogma f10 must have outsold it at least 30:1 or more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

spdntrxi wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Not quite... Venge ViAS was announced at the TDF in 2015, and a few riders (I think Sagan and Cav) both had it for a day or two in the TDF warm up races at the dauphine and Suisse, but it was hush-hush at that point. Here's a photo of Cav beating Greipel and Sagan in stage 7 sprint at the 2015 TDF. The bike was released as a 2016 model year. The release cycle though probably seems messed up, because remember the ViAS first came out as rim brake and that really only lasted a year, then the disc brake model came out and the rim brake bike was discontinued all-toegther. the Disc brake model was out for 2... so together, the ViAS was 3 years.

It does appear that the last Roubaix was a 2 year cycle though.... because it was 2017 that Boonen road the new one in white at his last race.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ I'm not a spesh guy... just guessing. They just felt really short.... hell my TimeMachine road was 2012 to 2019.. which is super long.

sychen

by sychen

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/joh ... c-gallery/

Custom painted "The Lion of Flanders" livery.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:54 am

It does appear that the last Roubaix was a 2 year cycle though.... because it was 2017 that Boonen road the new one in white at his last race.
2.5 years I guess.

It was announced in September of 2016 as a 2017 model. The new Roubaix is a 2020 model. My guess is the last Roubaix saw unforeseen delays like the disc SL6 and its release got bumped.

sychen

by sychen

TobinHatesYou wrote:

2.5 years I guess.

It was announced in September of 2016 as a 2017 model. The new Roubaix is a 2020 model. My guess is the last Roubaix saw unforeseen delays like the disc SL6 and its release got bumped.
Look at cyclingtips first impressions review of the new Roubaix.. Explains the likely reason for the faster product cycle as the old one just wasn't a mature system.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... tSnhmPGaLG

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by sychen on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

spartan

by spartan

unlike other companies when they release sh***t they take immediate action. both the last gen roubaix and the venge vias were sales/tech dissappointments

only issues with the new model are the high prices
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'd rather nobody release "shit" in the first place... with the amt of pro teams at their beck and call.. no excuses.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You guys are silly. The new Roubaix didn’t see an accelerated development schedule. The old Roubaix missed the Spring 2016 and was delayed until September. The development cycle remains three years from start to start.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:24 pm

2.5 years I guess.

Yes... you're right.
TobinHatesYou wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:19 am
You guys are silly. The new Roubaix didn’t see an accelerated development schedule. The old Roubaix missed the Spring 2016 and was delayed until September. The development cycle remains three years from start to start.
for the record, I wasn't arguing against the 3 years... I just forgot that it missed the Roubaix race release.

by Weenie