2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Did you climb up Mt.Baldy on Saturday?

funkyb wrote:Image

Frame - Tarmac S-Works SL6 Disc, 61cm
Fork - Tarmac S-Works SL6 Disc, 61cm
Seat - S-Works Romin Evo, 143mm
Stem - 3T Arx II, 150mm
Bar - S-Works Aerofly, 42cm
Bartape - Supacaz
Bottle cages - Arundel Mandible
Brakes - Dura Ace 9170
Front derailleur - DuraAce 9150
Rear derailleur - DuraAce 9150, C-Bear pulleys
Crankset - Quarq DFour 91
Bottom Bracket - C-Bear BB30
Chainrings - DuraAce 9100, 52-36
Chain - DuraAce 9100
Shifters - DuraAce 9150
Cassette DuraAce 9100, 11-28
Wheels: Roval CLX50
Tires - Continental GP4000S II, 700 x 28
Pedals - Oldddddd DuraAce prototypes

Total Weight - 15.9lbs / 7.21kg

I dremeled the Di2 barend junction down to fit completely in the bar without the bulky knob thing that it comes with. Also changed the stock blue logos to a rose gold with vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

funkyb

by funkyb

alexneumuller wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:22 pm
Did you climb up Mt.Baldy on Saturday?
Yessir I did. Were you coming down the switchbacks on a Tarmac?

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Yes that was me shouting Nice Bike. I recognized it from here. Small world as I m actually based in Munich, Germany.

3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

After being torn between a SL6 and a Trek Emonda H1 and later between the super flamboyant pink and matt black, I have finally come to decision and ordered my own S-Works tarmac SL6 Disc. I will have to wait for a few more weeks until I can pick it up in the christmas holidays, but that's okay I guess, even though I'm counting days like child ahead of christmas :D

Anyway here are some specs:

Frame and Fork: S-Works Tarmac SL6 (satin black / reflective)
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 8070 with a semi compact 52-36 and 11-30 casette ( for the swiss mountains)
Discs: 160mm-140mm (I'm sitting at 62kg, but we came to the conclusion that it only adds a few gramms and might help on long descends)
Wheels: Roval SLX 24 (alloy, ~1500g)
Saddle: S-Works Power 143mm
BB: stock Ceramic Speed BB30 with a PraxisWorks adapter for the shimano crankset...
Stem and Bars: Fizik R1, 110/120mm (tbd) and "snake" style bars in 400mm

and the finishing touches :
Pedals: Look Keo Blade ChroMo
Tires: S-Works-Turbo Cotton 26mm
Bar tape: Supercaz super sticky kush star fade in neon pink with matching plugs
Bottle Cages: Supercaz in Neon Pink

A power meter will be added next spring.

Some more thoughts:
I started road cycling two years ago after being in competitive athletics for 10 years and this will be my very first "new" bike, both in terms of ownership and modern technology. I was on a vintage Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra with 8-speed STIs the last year and I had a great time on it, but came to a point of fitness where it became a limiting factor sometimes, even though scoring a top 50 (nowherdays 6xth) on Klausenpass on a 10kg Eddy Merckx steel bike was a great achievement.
Starting from that bike, a Canyon Ultimate for 2,5k would have been a huge upgrade, but it's nothing I could ever be passionate about. That's what got me ordering an S-works, becuase I really fell for it when they first showed prototypes of a disc SL6 :beerchug:
The bike which the SL6 will replace
The bike which the SL6 will replace

sychen

by sychen

Welcome to the club null.

That Eddy looks great.. You are going to crush it on the new tarmac.. Fantastic bike.

Look forward to see your build.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

nulldreiundreissig wrote:I was on a vintage Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra with 8-speed STIs the last year and I had a great time on it, but came to a point of fitness where it became a limiting factor sometimes, even though scoring a top 50 (nowherdays 6xth) on Klausenpass on a 10kg Eddy Merckx steel bike was a great achievement.]
I’m confused...you’re saying your getting another bike because you can’t get fit on the current Eddy Merckx...you’re buying another bike just so you can get your score/ranking higher for a climb?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Wingnut wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:42 am
nulldreiundreissig wrote:I was on a vintage Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra with 8-speed STIs the last year and I had a great time on it, but came to a point of fitness where it became a limiting factor sometimes, even though scoring a top 50 (nowherdays 6xth) on Klausenpass on a 10kg Eddy Merckx steel bike was a great achievement.]
I’m confused...you’re saying your getting another bike because you can’t get fit on the current Eddy Merckx...you’re buying another bike just so you can get your score/ranking higher for a climb?

either is justifiable.. :beerchug:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

sychen

by sychen

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:45 am
Wingnut wrote:

either is justifiable.. :beerchug:
Wingnut.. you are discouraging him from a lighter bike? This is Weighweenies right? isn't that a bannable offense? :)
and i'm sure we have all had much less valid excuses for getting a bike.. Faster is a great excuse.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

Wingnut wrote:

No I am saying that my fitness has become quite good recently (roughly >5w/kg for 20min), but the bike has started to hold me down sometimes. I can really feel it flexing in a uphill sprint and at 10kg with 39-26 as slowest gearing, I am grinding every time the gradient kicks up. This is acceptable for shorter rides, but I often got knee pain from long rides with 2+ mountain passes, which we basically did every second weekend this year...

Of course, I am hoping for better placings with a new bike, but its mostly about more enjoyment on the hilly terrain around Zurich and mountain passes due to less weight, better gearing and disc brakes.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

funkyb wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:36 am
I’ll upload to Dropbox and send the link thru tomorrow!
Awesome! I'm not too good with Illustrator. :lol:
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

Wingnut

by Wingnut

nulldreiundreissig wrote:
Wingnut wrote:

No I am saying that my fitness has become quite good recently (roughly >5w/kg for 20min), but the bike has started to hold me down sometimes. I can really feel it flexing in a uphill sprint and at 10kg with 39-26 as slowest gearing, I am grinding every time the gradient kicks up. This is acceptable for shorter rides, but I often got knee pain from long rides with 2+ mountain passes, which we basically did every second weekend this year...

Of course, I am hoping for better placings with a new bike, but its mostly about more enjoyment on the hilly terrain around Zurich and mountain passes due to less weight, better gearing and disc brakes.
Oh ok, fair enough...extra information explains it.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Wingnut approves the rationale, so you can thus proceed with the purchase.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

Torbjorn wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:25 pm
Bike is already ordered anyways. Just wanted to write a quick introduction of myself and the bike which is about to be replaced.

To wrap this up: of course, a stock canyon would have solved my problem, but I could never feel passionate about as i mentioned before. And hobbies aren't about rationalities, but passion.I fell for the tarmac and I wouldn't feel bad if I had to build it up with 105 and Aksiums. This bike will be my pride and joy, since I worked my a** for it during my gap year and it'll help me keep motivated over the course of master's.

And besided all that: We all love riding our bikes and most of us get irrational, just like I do. No rationals needed :beerchug:

KevinM

by KevinM

nulldreiundreissig wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:37 pm
Torbjorn wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:25 pm
Bike is already ordered anyways. Just wanted to write a quick introduction of myself and the bike which is about to be replaced.

To wrap this up: of course, a stock canyon would have solved my problem, but I could never feel passionate about as i mentioned before. And hobbies aren't about rationalities, but passion.I fell for the tarmac and I wouldn't feel bad if I had to build it up with 105 and Aksiums. This bike will be my pride and joy, since I worked my a** for it during my gap year and it'll help me keep motivated over the course of master's.

And besided all that: We all love riding our bikes and most of us get irrational, just like I do. No rationals needed :beerchug:
I love this post. Pure passion. That’s what drives us! Congratulations on the new bike and welcome to the club!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grobar

by Grobar

Wingnut wrote:
I hate those kind of answers... Here's a video for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYOze85 ... gs=pl%2Cwn
Nulldreiundreissig enjoy your future Tarmac and hope to meet you on our beautiful swiss roads!