2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

tnkn wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am
Hi all,

I've just bought a 2019 S-Works Tarmac Disc frameset and would like to run my Dura Ace 9100 chainset.

Would the chainset fit with the CeramicSpeed BB straight out of the box or will I need a new BB?

Thanks for your help.
Highly recommend this:
https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/sport/s ... mano-road/

The reducer cups were driving me nuts with the creaking on my SL5... worked perfect for a while then just got annoying...
Switched to BB I posted above and SILENCE!!

tnkn

by tnkn

Hi all,

I'm undecided whether to go ahead and install the ceramic speed bearings plus wheels mfg Shimano adaptors that came with my frameset or purchase a new BB altogether to try and avoid the dreaded creak. (https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wheels ... ranks/EM25)

Could I use the CS bearings in a third party bottom bracket or should I see what I get for them on eBay?

Thanks for the help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

tnkn wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:04 pm
Hi all,

I'm undecided whether to go ahead and install the ceramic speed bearings plus wheels mfg Shimano adaptors that came with my frameset or purchase a new BB altogether to try and avoid the dreaded creak. (https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wheels ... ranks/EM25)

Could I use the CS bearings in a third party bottom bracket or should I see what I get for them on eBay?

Thanks for the help
I have the SL6 rim which should have the same BB. I needed to adapt to a SRAM GXP crankset (also 24 mm). Originally, the shop installed a Praxis Works one piece adapter (see their site). No creaking but a bit heavy (144g) and not ceramic if you think that matters. (Smart people here say otherwise, but I was used to ceramic.) I switched to a cbear BB30 to GXP BB. It is lighter at 93g and ceramic. So far no creaking, maybe just a hint of a clicking noise (not sure). I sold the Ceramicspeed bearings that came with the frame on eBay for more than the price of the cbear.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

tnkn

by tnkn

I think I'll shell out for a new BB and stick the bearings on eBay. I'd rather the build was right from the start rather than using various adaptors etc. The adaptors alone were £25 so it's a good chunk of the money towards a new BB.

P.s. I get a slight click from time to time on my Argon 18 Wheels MFG BB30.
Stendhal wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:08 am
I have the SL6 rim which should have the same BB. I needed to adapt to a SRAM GXP crankset (also 24 mm). Originally, the shop installed a Praxis Works one piece adapter (see their site). No creaking but a bit heavy (144g) and not ceramic if you think that matters. (Smart people here say otherwise, but I was used to ceramic.) I switched to a cbear BB30 to GXP BB. It is lighter at 93g and ceramic. So far no creaking, maybe just a hint of a clicking noise (not sure). I sold the Ceramicspeed bearings that came with the frame on eBay for more than the price of the cbear.

parajba

by parajba

I have a Quarq DZero GXP. If I buy an SL6, what is the lightest and best adaptor money can buy? Would I be missing out on any of the functionality of the SL6’s bottom bracket by using an adaptor? Would it be better to sell the Quarq and buy the correct model for the SL6?

Jugi

by Jugi

The best "adapter" for a GXP Quarq DZero is most likely a DZero compatible BB30 crankset. I'm not sure how much DZero compatible cranks cost as is, but as you have the powermeter spider already, that would lead into a simple and light configuration. All additional parts increase the likelihood of a creak.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Jugi wrote:The best "adapter" for a GXP Quarq DZero is most likely a DZero compatible BB30 crankset. I'm not sure how much DZero compatible cranks cost as is, but as you have the powermeter spider already, that would lead into a simple and light configuration. All additional parts increase the likelihood of a creak.
That’s a great suggestion. You can purchase crankarms directly from Quarq by calling them-they are about $425 USD-I had BB30 and was going to GXP. Their customer service is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

tnkn wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am
I think I'll shell out for a new BB
"Shell" out for a new bottom bracket? I see what you did there.

sfo423

by sfo423

Anypone know if the CLX 50 wheel stickers / labels are removable? Looking at a pair of LE wheels and hate the logo color.

scale29

by scale29

They're under clear coat.

sychen

by sychen

They actually look pretty nice with the turbo cottons..

Need an appropriate frame colour scheme to match!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Where did you get the wheels with yellow stickers? Aftermarket?

parajba

by parajba

cycleboyco wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm
Jugi wrote:The best "adapter" for a GXP Quarq DZero is most likely a DZero compatible BB30 crankset. I'm not sure how much DZero compatible cranks cost as is, but as you have the powermeter spider already, that would lead into a simple and light configuration. All additional parts increase the likelihood of a creak.
That’s a great suggestion. You can purchase crankarms directly from Quarq by calling them-they are about $425 USD-I had BB30 and was going to GXP. Their customer service is great.

Sorry I am not sure I follow. This is the one I have:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Quarq/ ... Meter/ENWU

Does that mean that I could replace just the crank arms and that would make my Quarq compatible with BB30?

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

parajba wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:51 am
cycleboyco wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Sorry I am not sure I follow. This is the one I have:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Quarq/ ... Meter/ENWU

Does that mean that I could replace just the crank arms and that would make my Quarq compatible with BB30?
Yes-you can buy the Quarq BB30 crankarms/spindle without the DZero spider directly from Quarq-it's not on their website. I was able to do this by calling their customer service. Not sure how difficult it is to remove/reattach the spider, as I ended up changing my mind and returning the GXP crankarms.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Don't SL6's (S-Works) ship with a CeramicSpeed PF30 BB with Shimano 24mm adapters?

If so, just buy a Quarq BB30 DZero Carbon and remove the adapters you're currently running with the Shimano cranks.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com