2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

sychen wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 am
@Torbjorn See Dogmatics size 49.. but depends where you are. (he's in Singapore).

@Dogmatic, Thats a nice colour way and build. Looks like at your height.. you and Alex are both all legs .. (hides my stumps in shame).
@sychen thanks. Your setup looks great too. Very classy.

Yeah I’m def more leg than torso. I’ve been on this fit now for 5 years and it works well. My fitter shifted me forward and dropped the stack - effectively trying to flatten my back a bit more.

The only prob I find with being more leg is that reach is always an issue for me, and setback. That’s why I really like the SL6 geo. I can get the reach I need and since ETT is short, I get the setback I need (typically I would need a zero offset post).

For my saddle height I could actually go one size up. And reach of the 52 is just 5mm more, so I can deal with that. But ETT is very long and I doubt I can get the setback I need. I actually got on both a 52 and 49 and it was night and day for me, even with the 52 on a shorter stem.

The only strange thing I find with the SL6 is stack. As you can see I still have a number of spacers and it feels high. But I will ride this first for a few weeks then see my fitter after so I have a better feel for areas o adjust.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm the opposite... all torso, no legs. I'm actually thinking 52 or 54. My current bike is ETT 54.5 and 120mm stem.. actually even 130 feels good. The more I look at the geo charts.. 54 seems right just wont have a ton of seatpost showing and the standover will be borderline (short legs)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

How has brake noise been for everyone on 9170? My local shop had a bike with it and it was much noisier than I expected. I mean there is a lot that could have been at play but I was expecting a bit more refinement. I've been between getting a disc SL6 or getting one of the last rim models and it kind of pushed me back towards the rim bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

Are you talking about squeaking and squealing type noise or the general audible sound of the pads on rotors? My time on 9170 (brief) has shown me that there shouldn't really be squeaking or squealing (unless wet) but the braking noise is audible and in my opinion, slightly off-putting in tone.

morganb

by morganb

RyanH wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:46 pm
Are you talking about squeaking and squealing type noise or the general audible sound of the pads on rotors? My time on 9170 (brief) has shown me that there shouldn't really be squeaking or squealing (unless wet) but the braking noise is audible and in my opinion, slightly off-putting in tone.
The bike I rode had a bit of both. The squealing went away with high braking force but was there when braking lightly. I ride aluminum wheels with salmon/BXP pads so I've gotten used to dead quiet braking.

ODC

by ODC

morganb wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:36 pm
How has brake noise been for everyone on 9170? My local shop had a bike with it and it was much noisier than I expected. I mean there is a lot that could have been at play but I was expecting a bit more refinement. I've been between getting a disc SL6 or getting one of the last rim models and it kind of pushed me back towards the rim bike.
The front disc brake on my new sl6 is also making a squaling noise.
If i brake hard there is no noise but a with a little bit of braking power/pressure or when i am almost staying still with the bike it makes the squaling noise. So just like mentioned here above
Never had this problem with my MTB.
I have brake in the disc brakes like on my MTB with a couple of sprints and braking hard enough.
My shop said to ride for a week to see if the noise goes away (braking in enough). If it doesn’t go away then they are going to change the brakepads and rotor.
Rear disc brake is very silent.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The front rotor is more exposed to grease/grime on the road. It’s pretty much slight contamination causing the squeal under light braking and it will come back periodically if you ride in urban areas. Usually brake dragging on one long descent helps burn off the oils, but if that isn’t working spray some brake cleaner on the rotors and wipe away.

Warning: after using brake cleaner, your brakes will more or less need to be go through a bedding process again to burn off residue and transfer more pad material.

sychen

by sychen

Haven't had any issues with my brakes squealing.. Except for the start of one wet downhill section.. Once the crud was off.. It was fine.

Few thing to remember/try..
Bedding in is important
Road disc does not have full floating pistons like good mtb discs. This means setup is critical to not having weird sounds. Pistons can come out and get stuck causing drag and grinding. Business card trick is awesome and easy way to fix.
Checked for warped rotors if you have correctly centred and setup the callipers.
Are the discs tightly / properly attached to the wheel?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Some rotor/pads combinations will produce distinct noises depends on cutout pattern.

Hope does produce road specific floating rotors. haven't tried it yet.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

corky

by corky

Road discs ....a work in progress

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

sychen wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:25 am
Haven't had any issues with my brakes squealing.. Except for the start of one wet downhill section.. Once the crud was off.. It was fine.

Bedding in is important
@sychen, any suggestion on best way to do this? is it about going downhill and lightly braking, so that the pads brush the rotor a bit?

i've only done 3 rides (about 240k) and have had zero issues with my discs, either squealing or rubbing (but hey singapore is flat as can be, so not much braking needed :) )

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Dogmatic13 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:36 pm
sychen wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:25 am

Bedding in is important
i've only done 3 rides (about 240k) and have had zero issues with my discs, either squealing or rubbing (but hey singapore is flat as can be, so not much braking done :) )

sychen

by sychen

Dogmatic13 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:36 pm

@sychen, any suggestion on best way to do this? is it about going downhill and lightly braking, so that the pads brush the rotor a bit?

i've only done 3 rides (about 240k) and have had zero issues with my discs, either squealing or rubbing (but hey singapore is flat as can be, so not much braking needed :) )
yes.. Going downhill and come to repeated near stops to heat and deposit the pad material on the disc. The bit that you need to be careful of is coming to a stop with the pad in full contact with the disc while hot during this phase. Make sure you let go of the levers just before coming to a complete stop.

No need for giant downhills.. Singapore isn't that flat not to find a gentle hill like the one behind orchard road where Shangrila hotel/embassies are..

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I’ll also pedal through while braking to extend the braking duration before coming to a near stop. This takes a 3 second deceleration and extends it to more than 6 seconds at the same braking force. I find it makes braking in rotors much more efficient especially if you don’t have a convenient hill to use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy