2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KevinM

by KevinM

jamin wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 pm
johnsonmoog wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:49 pm
This looks rather nice: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/mens- ... t/p/154558
I love this colour way - but the wheels - C38s, anyone know what they are like/weight? I wish they'd of put the CLX's on it....
According to my LBS, the CLX are out of stock. He told me the difference between the two are that the CLX has ceramic bearings and blades spokes, but they both have the same rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I don't know if that is entirely true.... that description is for the CL line of wheels. This C38 is a new wheel, at least in name. It's entirely possible that they just changed the name from CL to just C to furhter differentiate it from the CLX line, but I'm not sure.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

samors wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:16 pm
Thanks!

I really didnt want a black bike or the hologram logo but its growing on me. I do like it on the wrap and handlebars though.
Been waiting forever for this bike to come out so I just bought it since it was allocated for me. Coming from a 2011 Roubaix SL2 Comp 8r so this is a huge upgrade for me.
Scott.. I hear you. A few guys in our Crank Addicts group are intrested in the disc, Non S-works frames as well, so I told them about it as soon as I saw Specialized post them on the website on Wednesday. I was floored when i got to the shop on Wednesday evening and Tom told me they had already built one and you'd taken it home. That is going to feel like a HUGE upgrade coming from a 2001 Roubaix, definitely a LOT racier.

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

samors wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:35 pm
Some quick pics. Ill post up some better ones once I get a chance.
Good looking bike. Congrats! Been waiting on the Pro level build myself. Want to make a jump over to disc and electronic shift. I would be all over this build, except my current (aero) bike is all matte black as well. Still considering it, but will wait a couple of months to see if Spesh comes out with at least one other color variant. Would love to hear a quick review of the bike feels once you log some miles on it. Thanks!

KevinM

by KevinM

Oops
Last edited by KevinM on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinM

by KevinM

KevinM wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:24 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm
I don't know if that is entirely true.... that description is for the CL line of wheels. This C38 is a new wheel, at least in name. It's entirely possible that they just changed the name from CL to just C to furhter differentiate it from the CLX line, but I'm not sure.
Oh! You got me. I assumed that this was the Pro. It’s the Expert

samors

by samors

Ha yea I left work the second they called me to pick it up, I probably just missed you by a few minutes. They just had to swap out the stock bars with Shimano Vibe Carbon Pro I had for the bike.

Like I said I am coming from a Roubaix Sl2 with 2012 Sram Red 10 speed so this is a night and day difference. I also test road a TCR Advanced, this by far surpasses that... the Tarmac SL6 Rim, tracks way better and is more stable because of the thru axles. Sprinting and power transfer is instantaneous with no flexing, descending is so smooth and fast.

After I picked it up I had a quick 35 mile ride with it, 18 mph avg with 2000 ft climbing. The geometry is way different than my Roubaix so my body was adjusting, that along with getting used to Di2. When I used to have to back off speed with the Roubaix this bike laughed at it so it’s going to take some rides to see what it can do. I took some time last night to setup my shifting profiles and all the Di2 settings, will be headed out a little later to get my second ride in.

Rich - I am going to try to be at the Monday C6C group ride if you want to head over to check it out. I usually miss most of the group rides becuase I dont get home from work until about 6. Add me on Strava if you like.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

LBoogie28 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:50 pm
samors wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:35 pm
Some quick pics. Ill post up some better ones once I get a chance.
Good looking bike. Congrats! Been waiting on the Pro level build myself. Want to make a jump over to disc and electronic shift. I would be all over this build, except my current (aero) bike is all matte black as well. Still considering it, but will wait a couple of months to see if Spesh comes out with at least one other color variant. Would love to hear a quick review of the bike feels once you log some miles on it. Thanks!
The Expert model has some cool color variants... It had the grey camo look with the red lettering, similar to the S-Works and there's also a Chameleon green/team yellow model. This color doesn't look very good on the website, it basically appears black, but in person, the S-Works version of this colorway looks very cool.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens- ... 506-154558
samors wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm
Ha yea I left work the second they called me to pick it up, I probably just missed you by a few minutes. They just had to swap out the stock bars with Shimano Vibe Carbon Pro I had for the bike.

Like I said I am coming from a Roubaix Sl2 with 2012 Sram Red 10 speed so this is a night and day difference. I also test road a TCR Advanced, this by far surpasses that... the Tarmac SL6 Rim, tracks way better and is more stable because of the thru axles. Sprinting and power transfer is instantaneous with no flexing, descending is so smooth and fast.

After I picked it up I had a quick 35 mile ride with it, 18 mph avg with 2000 ft climbing. The geometry is way different than my Roubaix so my body was adjusting, that along with getting used to Di2. When I used to have to back off speed with the Roubaix this bike laughed at it so it’s going to take some rides to see what it can do. I took some time last night to setup my shifting profiles and all the Di2 settings, will be headed out a little later to get my second ride in.

Rich - I am going to try to be at the Monday C6C group ride if you want to head over to check it out. I usually miss most of the group rides becuase I dont get home from work until about 6. Add me on Strava if you like.
The geometry is gonna be very different, but if you're averaging 18mph on a 35 mile ride with 2000' feet of climbing, you are definitely in the realm of probably wanting something more racy than the Roubaix. Its a great looking bike, best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy many, many miles with it. Unfortunately, I can't do the C6C on Monday. I've actually never done that ride... I was away on vacation when they started it late last season and this year, I just always forget that its an option on Monday. This monday, I have a scheduling emeting with some clients, so its a no-go again. maybe the following week.

jamin

by jamin

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm
Even a little googling doesn’t seem to bring up anything, I guess the info will come through soon enough.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Well, it looks like the CL line is being used on the Pro Disc.... and the C38 is being shown on the Expert Disc, so my guess is, they are different, with the C designation eing lower end. Still, its pretty awesome that they're including some carbon hoops on an expert level frame.

Siok

by Siok

Nice that we get to see more new models on the website. A big downer when they can’t even have ready supply of sworks disc at the shops. And as much as they want to set a new color trend I think they definitely don’t have a clue. What is happening with Specialized?

Datmo

by Datmo

The Roval C38 are disc brake only, tubeless ready, carbon clinchers that will be available separately from August and will retail for £900. They’re also spec’d on the 2019 Diverge Expert X1 etc.

sychen

by sychen

Been getting a weird rattle going through rough roads that is starting to annoy me. It comes from the front of the bike and can't be replicated when on the work stand.

Wasn't able to track it down until today... Checked the wheels, valves, computer mount, light, handle bar.. Junctions... Everything.
Or so I thought... It was the down tube port cover for mech cables. Little Allen screw holding it down have gotten loose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

djel

by djel

Would anyone have the real-world weight comparison between the S-Works and Pro models? The S-Works is claimed at 6.6-6.7kg and it's around 300g heavier than the rim brake version.

The Pro rim brake version has the S-works crankset with Praxis rings tho...not sure if it's much lighter than the Ultregra set on the disc version.

Koolsilver

by Koolsilver

Anyone else disappointed in the Tarmac Pro Disc build? Losing the S Works cranks takes away some of the appeal to me. I feel like paying $2k for Di2 and a bit better wheels is asking a lot especially considering the new upgraded wheels the Expert is coming with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com