Carrera Bikes - Any opinion, problems?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

sib wrote:Very nice!
Which model is that, and what made you choose that particular model?

Thanks!.. in general, cost/benefit because I found a good offer.. I race - climber - and if I crash the frame.. you know.. Another point for the decision was the brand tradition on bike building since the "steel age". And they still do custom carbon frames..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Digging up an old thread... Any long term views on this bike? The limted feedback seems to indicate they meet both weight weenie an performance parameters, but actual feedback from actual users would be most helpful.

Supplementary question: For any users, how has the BB situation been? I'm running a BSA on my old frame, and I'm nervous about changing up to any kind of pressfit situation.

Thanks for any input!
Kurt

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

I am still in love with my Carrera SL 730... Amazing frame

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

IMG-20201010-WA0022.jpg
I am still in love with my Carrera SL 730... Amazing frame

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

@Rogeliote, thanks for the reply.

One attraction for me is the frame weight... do you know if it is accurate?
Also, any issues with the bottom bracket? What model are you using?

Cheers.

Kristof047

by Kristof047

My painted Carrera SL730 frame (56cm, in the real Carrera jeans blue/orange colors 😎 - paint looks heavy) weight was 900 gram. Inclusive rear derailleur hanger, bottle cage bolts and cable stops.

Bought this frame (received it with some paint chips, but got an additional refund for that making it super cheap, i do think the paint quality is not the best): https://www.salden.nl/carrera-sl-custombike.html

Build it only last summer, so not too much kilometers. Bottom bracket installation was easy (SRAM dub in bb86, so would notice problems fast beacause of small bearings, but rock solid so far). Inside of frame had some residual epoxy/carbon, but I think you see this with a lot of frames.

Ride quality is superb!! Very comfortable, not as stiff as my Cannondale Caad 10 or Merlin Aero bike, still stiff enough for me (really nice Gran Fondo, climbing, endurance bike, but for dedicated short course crit riding I would choose something else).

reedplayer

by reedplayer

the carrera sl 730 frameset is available for 890.- euro at salden nl, available sizes "m" and "xl".

https://www.saldenbikes.com/carrera-sl- ... kleur=4615

although other carrera frames, significantly reduced

https://www.saldenbikes.com/fietsen-en- ... rrera.html

Kristof047

by Kristof047

Indeed, that's where my frame came from. Nice price for a new traditional lightweight frame.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

oh, i had not realized, that you already posted the link, sorry!

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

My frame in size M weighs 800 grms with hardware included. The fork uncut 310 grms. The bike, as you can see in the picture, 5,8 kgms with pedals included.

I had not any issues with the BB and believe the bike is amazing. My other bikes are BMC Slc01, De Rosa Protos or Trek Madone 2016 so top models of top brands and the Carrera is the most reactive and best for climbing of all them

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Ok, sounds like it could be a real contender then in my search for "light and generally good all rounder".

The other frames I'm mainly thinking of are the Ridley Helium SLX, the Look 785 Huez RS, Scott Addict with HMX SL fibres and possibly a Focus Izalco Max. I only came to Carrera because I was searching around and saw the heavily discounted frames at the Salden website. I had a closer look and found the frame to look good on paper, but there's basically 0 reviews on it. I'm looking to build up my understanding of that frame...It seems to fit the "good all rounder" catgeory. On that note thanks for your replies @Kristof047 and @Rogeliote! @Rogeliote, also good to see that you've compared it with some other heavyweights, as the possibility of owner bias has to be at least acknowledged if we cannot dispense with it.

Any other owners too, please feel free to chip in, it seems that Carrera could do with all the presence they can garner.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

reedplayer wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:20 am
the carrera sl 730 frameset is available for 890.- euro at salden nl, available sizes "m" and "xl".

https://www.saldenbikes.com/carrera-sl- ... kleur=4615

although other carrera frames, significantly reduced

https://www.saldenbikes.com/fietsen-en- ... rrera.html
Someone in another thread had a poor experience with these guys. Any direct experience yourself? This would be in the context of potentially purchasing said frame to be sent ot Australia.

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

I buy time to time in Salden and the experience is very good. Very professional and accessible service.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Rogeliote wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:02 pm
I buy time to time in Salden and the experience is very good. Very professional and accessible service.

Good to know. Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reedplayer

by reedplayer

i just bought a powertap-rear wheel at Salden, no problems, but years ago.

but Salden generally has a good reputation, here, in Germany. i d not hesitate to buy there again.