Edco monoblock cassettes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eleven21

by Eleven21

I'd like to try one if these light weight steel cassettes. When installed there are only two narrow sections of steel that make contact with the splined freehub body. Probably a silly question but just wondered if it might eventually damage the alloy freehub?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nope, quite the opposite in fact. The two sections that mesh with the freehub are significantly wider than the counterparts on cassettes made up of individual cogs. The resulting force is distributed over a larger area and the psi is lower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I bought one specifically to avoid the damage from Shimano cassettes. They're not cheap but they're excellent cassettes.

spud

by spud

^ Don't agree - I ride one and the shifting is pretty lousy with my Shimano chain. SRAM works way better.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

TobinHatesYou wrote:Nope, quite the opposite in fact. The two sections that mesh with the freehub are significantly wider than the counterparts on cassettes made up of individual cogs. The resulting force is distributed over a larger area and the psi is lower.

Thanks for the quick response

IMG_0416.JPG

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Spud - I'm on SRAM but generally use Dura Ace chains (10 speed, which may make the difference). I honestly can't fault it.

ms6073

by ms6073

spud wrote:I ride one and the shifting is pretty lousy with my Shimano chain.

I tried the 11-speed 12-27 cassette with Shimano DA 9050 drive train and KMC X11SL DLC chain and shifting was reasonably good but had more chain noise while pedaling, but now use the DA 9100 cassette.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Delorre

by Delorre

spud wrote:^ Don't agree - I ride one and the shifting is pretty lousy with my Shimano chain. SRAM works way better.

Agree, shifting is not bad, but less smooth than a regular campy cassette + more noise, but that has to do with the hollow structure. I've a DA cassette laying around that will go on when the new Scott arrives. I will then be able to compare to a Shimano cassette also. Wear on the Edco is way too fast! Freewheel wear is almost 0, good thing, so why not if you are not too picky and don't ride too much miles/ month.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com