OPINION: 2017 Giant tcr advanced pro 1 vs 2015 BMC slr02

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jsteelfex

by jsteelfex

Hey all. I'm looking for opinions/thoughts between these two bikes head to head (preferably if you have experience with the both of them) . I currently ride the bmc with an ultegra 6800 group and switch between Mercury m5 wheels for races and Mercury s1c wheels for training. Nothing wrong with the bike, I just have a bit the new bike bug, and at them moment have a chance to get the tcr on a good deal. It has the same ultegra 6800 group and the giant carbon wheels. Thoughts and comments welcome.

zirxo

by zirxo

I love my TCR Advanced Pro. It's really stiff but yet quite comfortable, a real race machine.

I was surprised by the slr 1 wheels that came with the bike. They feel good enough to race on and came mounted as tubeless with Giants own tubeless tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stickman

by Stickman

zirxo wrote:I love my TCR Advanced Pro. It's really stiff but yet quite comfortable, a real race machine.

I was surprised by the slr 1 wheels that came with the bike. They feel good enough to race on and came mounted as tubeless with Giants own tubeless tires.

The 2018 TCR is on my short list. I liked the feel of the carbon wheels on my test ride. Do they shriek and squeal under braking like some other carbon wheels can do? The test bike was blissfully quiet but I don't know if that changes once brake pads/brake tracks wear in.

I'm also waiting on local stock of the SLR02 with Ultegra in my size. The BMC would want to feel amazing though, being $5000 vs $3550 for the TCR Advanced Pro 1...

zirxo

by zirxo

I've ridden my wheels pretty much everyday since the beginning of May without ever hearing a sound from them, really quiet breaking.

jlok

by jlok

TCR Adv Pro for sure. Very quick acceleration, good climbing.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Stickman

by Stickman

zirxo wrote:I've ridden my wheels pretty much everyday since the beginning of May without ever hearing a sound from them, really quiet breaking.

How do the rims handle braking hard while descending ie heat buildup? I'm not a crazy descender, I'll be taking it easy and not pushing hard :)

Some reviews say the Gavia tyres are rubbish - what are your thoughts?

zirxo

by zirxo

Since I live in Stockholm where there's really no real hills or mountains I can't really answer about the heat build up, sorry.

I'm not really sold on the Gavia tyres, it feels as if the grip in the wet is lacking a bit and they're already totally worn out, a lot faster than what I'm used to with Continental GP4000S. No flats at all though.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Can anyone please confirm, can I use/is there enough clearance for Schwalbe One Pro (tubeless) 28mm on 2017 GIANT TCR Advanced Pro 1 disc?

Cyclist999

by Cyclist999

ND4SPD wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:21 am
Can anyone please confirm, can I use/is there enough clearance for Schwalbe One Pro (tubeless) 28mm on 2017 GIANT TCR Advanced Pro 1 disc?
Yeah you should have. But don't know if you use rim having 25 mm or over external withd and 28 mm tyre

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Cyclist999 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:51 pm
ND4SPD wrote:
Yeah you should have. But don't know if you use rim having 25 mm or over external withd and 28 mm tyre
You answered post from 2018 :D

I have Cannondale Supersix Evo now :)

Stickman

by Stickman

ND4SPD wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:58 pm

I have Cannondale Supersix Evo now :)

How does the TCR compare to the SuperSix?

neomoz

by neomoz

ND4SPD wrote:
Giant claim up to 32mm of tyre clearance, the stock tyres I got on the bike measured 28mm wide and there is plenty of clearance all round. I believe you'll have no issues.

Also can confirm the stock SLR1 wheels are dead quiet except for the very clicky freehub.

Another great thing about the pro 1 is it comes with a power meter stock, very few bikes come out of the box with one, kudos to Giant for doing that.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Stickman wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:23 am
How does the TCR compare to the SuperSix?
I don't know, I didn't try the TCR, but I know few of local guys who's riding them, they have no complaints...
neomoz wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:29 am
Giant claim up to 32mm of tyre clearance, the stock tyres I got on the bike measured 28mm wide and there is plenty of clearance all round. I believe you'll have no issues.

Also can confirm the stock SLR1 wheels are dead quiet except for the very clicky freehub.

Another great thing about the pro 1 is it comes with a power meter stock, very few bikes come out of the box with one, kudos to Giant for doing that.
Thank you, but see earlier posts :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com