C60: rear brake cable in the top tube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I would like to shorten the length of my rear brake cable which is coming from the shifter/ handlebar to the front of the top tube on my C60.

How is the brake cable housing in the top tube of the C60? Can I just take out the cable completely and reinsert it in the top tube and it will go to the end of the top tube to the rear brake? I mean is there a housing of the rear brake cable in the C60 frame that is part of the frame? Or do I have to attach something at the end of the rear brake cable so that when I take it out I can reinsert it in the top tube?

3Pio

by 3Pio

TonyM wrote:Hi,

I would like to shorten the length of my rear brake cable which is coming from the shifter/ handlebar to the front of the top tube on my C60.

How is the brake cable housing in the top tube of the C60? Can I just take out the cable completely and reinsert it in the top tube and it will go to the end of the top tube to the rear brake? I mean is there a housing of the rear brake cable in the C60 frame that is part of the frame? Or do I have to attach something at the end of the rear brake cable so that when I take it out I can reinsert it in the top tube?

The cable is free in the top tube, and no housing inside.There is few ways to reinstall back:

1. Tie up the cable at the end before deinstalling from top tube with some sewing thread. Pull the cable and remove it, the thread will enter in the tube, so when u reinstall do it oposite way.

2. Find out some small housing that can be the size just to put cable inside, but not too wide to dont be able to put it all the way from side to side (still cable is in the top tube). Remove the cable, when u want to reinstall it, just put it trough that hosing (housing will stay in top tube when u remove the cable). At the end remove that housing.

3. If u just remove the cable, then use vacum cleaner which will suck the air in the top tube, and on oposite site put the sewing thread. The vacum cleaner will pull the thread, and u'll have it trough the top tube. Then tied up on the cable, pull and thats it.

The most easy way is the second way :)

And be careffull about shortening brake cable. I use Campagnolo skeleton record brakes, and rear one wasnt working properly (i could not adjust the rhythm of left/right to be the same), when the cable was short. So i had to add some length to start working properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

3Pio wrote:

The cable is free in the top tube, and no housing inside.There is few ways to reinstall back:

1. Tie up the cable at the end before deinstalling from top tube with some sewing thread. Pull the cable and remove it, the thread will enter in the tube, so when u reinstall do it oposite way.

2. Find out some small housing that can be the size just to put cable inside, but not too wide to dont be able to put it all the way from side to side (still cable is in the top tube). Remove the cable, when u want to reinstall it, just put it trough that hosing (housing will stay in top tube when u remove the cable). At the end remove that housing.

3. If u just remove the cable, then use vacum cleaner which will suck the air in the top tube, and on oposite site put the sewing thread. The vacum cleaner will pull the thread, and u'll have it trough the top tube. Then tied up on the cable, pull and thats it.

And be careffull about shortening brake cable. I use Campagnolo skeleton record brakes, and rear one wasnt working properly (i could not adjust the rhythm of left/right to be the same), when the cable was short. So i had to add some length to start working properly.

Thanks for the fast feedback! :thumbup:

I have also the Campagnolo skeleton brakes. Did you had to go back to the original length to have it work properly or did you shorten it too much the first time?

3Pio

by 3Pio

TonyM wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Thanks for the fast feedback! :thumbup:

I have also the Campagnolo skeleton brakes. Did you had to go back to the original length to have it work properly or did you shorten it too much the first time?

I bought it as frameset and parts separately. The first time i shorten enough to look nice and to dont have problems with cable. But after few months of not beeing able to adjust, i decide to experiment and add some length just where cable enter inside the brake. And start working much better.

So if no problems with ur braking adjustment, just leave it like that :)

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Remove the rear housing.
Slide a piece of plastic housing liner over the cable until it comes out the front cable stop.
Then pull out the cable and front housing.

FYI, you can improve the braking if you leave a piece of liner inside the frame, but it has to be exactly the distance between the two pieces of housing. Takes some trial and error.

wilwil

by wilwil

You can also improve the braking by using ferrels with tongues. Shimano Dura Ace or Jagwire.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

wilwil wrote:You can also improve the braking by using ferrels with tongues. Shimano Dura Ace or Jagwire.

Absolute best solution, bar none :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com