eTap - 1/2 position or chain compatability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

s3w2s1

by s3w2s1

I have 2 questions. On my road bike with eTap I have been experiencing some interesting conditions. Prior to a chain change the bike would occasionally shift (i think) into a 1/2 position and make some noise like the derailleur was off position. within a couple of seconds it could go back into position. I just changed the chain for the first time from the original 1190 (1500 miles, started to show wear) to a PC1170. now I am getting the 1/2 position all the time, I have tried to see if the derailleur moves but cannot see anything, I also cannot recreate the situation on the stand.

1) has anyone else see this condition

2) has anyone else run PC 1170 chains with a full eTap system

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djbowen99

by djbowen99

Is the quick connect link facing the proper direction?

s3w2s1

by s3w2s1

yes, thanks. 1st thing LBS checked. keeping me honest

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

s3w2s1 wrote:I have 2 questions. On my road bike with eTap I have been experiencing some interesting conditions. Prior to a chain change the bike would occasionally shift (i think) into a 1/2 position and make some noise like the derailleur was off position. within a couple of seconds it could go back into position. I just changed the chain for the first time from the original 1190 (1500 miles, started to show wear) to a PC1170. now I am getting the 1/2 position all the time, I have tried to see if the derailleur moves but cannot see anything, I also cannot recreate the situation on the stand.

1) has anyone else see this condition

2) has anyone else run PC 1170 chains with a full eTap system

Thanks

The front derailleur has a feature, if you visually check, that after the shift occurs it realigns itself. It hangs like you said about 1/2 way before it moves all the way to the resting position.
I noticed this but it has never caused me any trouble. The only trouble I had was chain drop from small chainring to the big. This happened due to lack of "excellent" adjustment.
Other than that and the batteries tabs breaking off I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s3w2s1

by s3w2s1

definitely rear derailleur based sound

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

s3w2s1 wrote:definitely rear derailleur based sound

Oh I thought it was the front. My bad. You might have a defective unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s3w2s1

by s3w2s1

not sure because the unit has been working for 3 months.

Bliquid

by Bliquid

If your gears are indexed correctly and the drivetrain is lubricated to run smoothly I don't really see what could cause anything like this. The derailleur moves a certain amount when you shift, now you say you can't replicate when on the workstand so if you want to adjust under load then find a quiet piece of road and give it a few adjustment clicks up on the STI whilst riding and/or try the same with a few clicks down.

When I first read this you were referring to the FD, as that purposefully 'overshifts' when going outbound and then relaxes back into position to help with the shift.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The rear derailleur also automatically shifts when it detects a failed shift. I suspect this is what it's doing, since a half-shift condition is being replicated. Micro-adjust your derailleur cage alignment so the chain makes no noise in the 5th and 6th cogs while pedaling. Then check to see if it shifts all the way through the cassette.

Also check to see if your derailleur hanger is bent.

s3w2s1

by s3w2s1

I will try that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

s3w2s1

by s3w2s1

hanger is straight, and 5/6 sounded quiet but i made a 2X micro adjustment one way and took it for a quick ride. it was quiet. I will take a ride tomorrow or Friday. you may have had the golden ticket. i will let you know thanks