TriRig Omega brakes on a road setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm thinking about building an aero road bike next year, and really like the TriRig aero brakes.
Plus, they're reasonably light :) !!
What i'm not shure about is braking power and reliability for road race use ( criteriums, downhill, emergency braking, etc...).levers..
And also pulling ratio with SRam22 levers...

Anyone has an extensive experience with these brakes on a road build ?

Louis :)

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I'm not very qualified to answer; far from extensive experience, not much to compare with, not the latest brakes etc, I'm only 120 lbs, don't ride big mountains, used with Campag levers.
They have made incremental improvements over the ones I have, but I don't know if they've added toe adjustment. The ones I have are no way near as powerful as EE. I had been riding it on the front paired with EE under the chain stays. Swapping them around might be a better move, but I'm yet to ride my bike like this. I've seen pics of WT bikes esp on rear.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thumper88

by thumper88

LouisN wrote:I'm thinking about building an aero road bike next year, and really like the TriRig aero brakes.
Plus, they're reasonably light :) !!
What i'm not shure about is braking power and reliability for road race use ( criteriums, downhill, emergency braking, etc...).levers..
And also pulling ratio with SRam22 levers...

Anyone has an extensive experience with these brakes on a road build ?

Louis :)

They work fine on road bikes generall. I ran one on the front of an S5 for a couple of years with no issues. Stopping was very good. Not dura-ace good, but very good.
There was no need to run one in the back as the rear caliper is hidden from wind on that frame.
I was using shimano, cant speak to the function with SRAM.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, I'm inclined to disagree. I used one on the front of my AR within the last year (using etap) and the stopping power was not even on par with Aerolink. I guess it's fine if you don't need to stop often, but definitely don't expect to slow down in a hurry or have much brake feel. It is a clever design though.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I ran the original Omega for a few months on on my TT bike and found the braking to be lackluster (me at 140lbs, brake setups were: Koolstop Salmon + aluminum rims, Zipp cork + Firecrests, Zipp Platinum Pro + Firecrests) . If I was just racing I would have kept them, but it was the training in traffic, down hills, etc. that made me ditch them. I'd never consider them on my road bike. Can't say the company or the product quality really impressed me that much :noidea:

morrisond

by morrisond

I'm over 100KG and they work great on my Mosaic RT-1 with SR EPS and Campy Red Pads on BORA ultra's. As good as Campy or EE. It's all in the set-up - they can be toed in.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

You're outside your mind to say they're comparable to EE or Campy. Perhaps if you toe in the Tririg and use wet cork pads on the others.

For those saying tri rig stops great, do you have hills you ride down? Much traffic? I suppose they'd be fine if I was just riding on flat, rural roads

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

The old version was OK, not great. Would not recommend them.

New version is good, commute on them 20 miles each way through London rain or shine. they are on par with my EE brakes on other bike. What I mean by that is that I don't worry one bit with them on the bike while commuting. and I am quite heavy with backpack etc when travelling to and from work.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Agree with others, old Omega was not that impressive.
Omega X seems to be built much more solid, better braking power and so on. No problem with flat racing on these, including races on closed circuits with some sharp turns, but to compare them with DuraAce would be a stretch.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

morrisond

by morrisond

Imaking20 wrote:You're outside your mind to say they're comparable to EE or Campy. Perhaps if you toe in the Tririg and use wet cork pads on the others.

For those saying tri rig stops great, do you have hills you ride down? Much traffic? I suppose they'd be fine if I was just riding on flat, rural roads

No I'm not outside my mind.

9 times out of ten when Brakes don't work that great it's due to installation issues.

I did a swap between EE's and OmegaX on the same bike with the same Brake Pads (literally the same) on the same wheels. There was no appreciable difference between the two.

And yes I go down hills and I ride in lots of traffic - they provide more than enough braking force when needed, and I've been riding long enough to know what Cork pads in the rain on some of the first Carbon wheels (circa 2005) felt like.

DamenH85

by DamenH85

I responded to your question in my intro thread, but I'll respond here as well in case somebody searches for this in the future.

I have front and rear TriRig Omega X brakes using SRAM22 road brifters / levers on a 2015 Cervelo S5. After a year and a couple thousand miles, I find that the setup works great for me; I haven't ever wished for a different braking setup. My previous brakes were Shimano Ultegra 6800.

Here's a reference link to my build thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=140601

damen

53x12

by 53x12

Been running latest and previous generation of Omega brakes on multiple bikes with zero issues. Braking is superb and had never wished or needed more breaking power or modulation. They work very well.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Miller

by Miller

They've made the arms progressively stiffer which is why current version is better than original. Also the cam shape moves the pads rapidly inwards at first then more slowly. The independent adjustment of pad distance is really nice. The aero cover is fragile so treat it carefully. They're good brakes but I have not done a direct comparison with a conventional caliper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thumper88

by thumper88

I will reiterate, it worked fine for me just running a front one on an S5 and a 9000 caliper on the rear. Stopping was good, though I will say I used pretty good pads and running carbon wheels with rim brakes stopping is never really going to be ideal.
I probably put 12,000 miles on that setup, including 30 races, road nats etc. and you can disagree all your want, my views have basis in experience.
The other caveat is there are no mountains or technical descents of any kind where I ride day in and day out, just endless rollers in the 1-4 minute, 3-6 percent range.