any lightweight 9/10 speed hub left out there?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mariachi

by mariachi

I have no need for an 11 speed cassette on my light, weekend tourer. Currently, I'm looking for options to build some new wheels, but most hubs are spaced 11-speed. This is obviously not a big deal, but if I can make a sturdier wheel for the same weight, why not.

I like BHS's SL210 SuperLight hub, but it's spaced for 11spd. Is there anyone still selling new 9-10 spd hubs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Do you mean the 1.85mm difference in DS flange position is concerning you?

Thats the size spacer you need to fit with a 10s cassette onto an 11s freehub.

It's not much. I guess you'd have to look for used hubs.

/a

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Behind the question is a false assumption that a "10-speed" hub is necessarily any different or "better" in it's flange location than an 11-speed. In fact it's a poor way to describe a hub.

As an example, Campagnolo have had "11-speed" hub spacing since about 1999, being 9, 10 and 11-speed compatible, while their wheels have enjoyed a pretty good reputation. Similarly Mavic hubs have been 11-speed compatible over a similar timeframe. I guess the flange spacing didn't worry them.

Any aftermarket hub for which a "Campy" freehub could have been bought will also have this spacing. Which would be quite a lot of them.

Based on drawings I can find, the difference between 10-speed Shimano and current 11-speed hubs is 1.5 mm in DS flange location, when measured to the C/L. Which would apply to all currently available 11-speed wheels, whether Campy, Shimano, whatever. I've heard no outcry about wheel problems as a result.

There's better things to worry about than whether a hub is described as 10 or 11-speed since it says nothing about flange location.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mariachi

by mariachi

That's nice feedback, thanks! I'll build a wheelset for the first time since my teen years and I'm a bit rusty on the new stuff.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There's no shortage of advice here from some serious wheel builders (myself not included), so don't hesitate to ask questions.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM