9120 Dura Ace Hydro shifters arrived! - Somewhat disappoint - *weighed/compared*

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
addict
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 am
Contact:

by addict

shimano's porky shifters completely change bike handling.. when I upgrade r685 -> sram red hrd things goes much better! :)

Delorre
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

addict wrote:shimano's porky shifters completely change bike handling.. when I upgrade r685 -> sram red hrd things goes much better! :)


That is also my feeling. The current 785 shifters are almost twice the weight of the 9070 shifter on the other bike, and you really feel that extra bulk when throwing the bike around while riding. I'm really curious the see how the new bike (with complete 9170, and much lighter shifters than 785) will feel!

User avatar
addict
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 am
Contact:

by addict

i'm training mostly on addict cx10 w sram red hrd because of poor roads quality and some offroad sections we ride.. crossbike steering is generally more ralaxed due to 71 or so deg.. And when I deflate dust from Foil wondering how lively/sharp bike could be!)

Broady
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm

by Broady

Interesting, I'm looking at upgrading my 785s to 9170, mainly because I've heard they're a lot smaller ergonomically, is this definitely the case?

alcatraz
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

by alcatraz

Mechanical disc brakes = problem solved :lol:

/a

Factory
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 pm

by Factory

Broady wrote:Interesting, I'm looking at upgrading my 785s to 9170, mainly because I've heard they're a lot smaller ergonomically, is this definitely the case?


I believe so

joejack951
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

by joejack951

alcatraz wrote:Mechanical disc brakes = problem solved :lol:

/a


Campy Chorus mechanical levers and TRP HY/RDs here. Same weight as full hydro, but smaller shifters and all the weight is down low. I'm working on a solution to let me run Spyres, too, and see a significant weight savings.

Image

Factory
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 pm

by Factory

joejack951 wrote:
alcatraz wrote:Mechanical disc brakes = problem solved :lol:

/a


Campy Chorus mechanical levers and TRP HY/RDs here. Same weight as full hydro, but smaller shifters and all the weight is down low. I'm working on a solution to let me run Spyres, too, and see a significant weight savings.

Image


clean build. I think you can get away with Spyres on a road bike. would stick with a 160 front though.

Digger90
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:34 pm

by Digger90

Gawd they're FUGLY!!

User avatar
stockae92
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:13 pm

by stockae92

joejack951 wrote:
alcatraz wrote:Mechanical disc brakes = problem solved :lol:

/a


Campy Chorus mechanical levers and TRP HY/RDs here. Same weight as full hydro, but smaller shifters and all the weight is down low.


you do have a good point of keeping the weight down low

I do hope that they will release a v2 soon to slim down the calipers and make them easier on the eyes.

joejack951
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

by joejack951

Factory wrote:clean build. I think you can get away with Spyres on a road bike. would stick with a 160 front though.


Thanks! Spyres and Campy don't mix due to brake cable pull incompatibilities. I was all set to order a pair of Spyre SLCs for this build when I talked to TRP and became aware of the issue. The HY/RDs are incompatible in stock form, too, but they were easier to modify to fix the cable pull problem so I just went with them for now.

joejack951
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

by joejack951

stockae92 wrote:you do have a good point of keeping the weight down low

I do hope that they will release a v2 soon to slim down the calipers and make them easier on the eyes.


I agree. The front caliper looks really big from the side. The rear caliper at least gets lost in the rear amongst the seat and chain stays, cassette, chain, and derailleur. For a bike where I wasn't going full-on weight weenie, the looks are a worthy tradeoff for the performance of the calipers. They are simply awesome compared to Avid BB7s or regular rim brakes.

Factory
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 pm

by Factory

joejack951 wrote:
Factory wrote:clean build. I think you can get away with Spyres on a road bike. would stick with a 160 front though.


Thanks! Spyres and Campy don't mix due to brake cable pull incompatibilities. I was all set to order a pair of Spyre SLCs for this build when I talked to TRP and became aware of the issue. The HY/RDs are incompatible in stock form, too, but they were easier to modify to fix the cable pull problem so I just went with them for now.


Check with Paul Components. I'll bet they can accomodate you.

joejack951
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

by joejack951

Factory wrote:
joejack951 wrote:
Factory wrote:clean build. I think you can get away with Spyres on a road bike. would stick with a 160 front though.


Thanks! Spyres and Campy don't mix due to brake cable pull incompatibilities. I was all set to order a pair of Spyre SLCs for this build when I talked to TRP and became aware of the issue. The HY/RDs are incompatible in stock form, too, but they were easier to modify to fix the cable pull problem so I just went with them for now.


Check with Paul Components. I'll bet they can accomodate you.


While they'd work, I'd be spending a lot of additional money ($185/each caliper having already spent $125/each for the HY/RDs) and gaining nothing. Paul Klampers are 211 grams each (claimed) likely without hardware or the necessary adapters to fit my flat mount frame. HY/RDs are ~235 grams each with all hardware and already in flat mount. Finally, Klampers are mechanical which means they won't have auto-adjusting pads like the HY/RDs nor (and this is just an educated guess) the incredible power of the HY/RDs. Flat mount Spyre SLCs are a claimed 146 grams per caliper or 154 grams for the standard Spyre. Either is a considerable chunk of weight off my bike (currently at 7.56 kg w/ pedals and cages) but they simply won't work with the stock brake arms.

maxxevv
Posts: 1958
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:51 am

by maxxevv

Get a set of JuinTech calipers. They are a lot slimmer in profile compared the TRP's.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post