Stages Power Meter Questions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wboyle3

by wboyle3

I would like to get a power meter this year and I have come to the conclusion that Stages might be the right way to go for me (mostly based on price). Does Stages allow you to send in your crank for them to install their unit on to or do you have to buy a crank arm? Also I am running 10 speed Campagnolo Chorus, so would the new 11 speed left side crank arm pair with my already existing 10 speed crank arm? :noidea: :noidea:
Attachments
IMG_1686.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Even if they did it doesn't make much sense to send an existing one in. Unless you have a very exotic arm (which stages might not support) the arm itself is a small part of the investment. I saw a video where they make them in batches. You'd have to wait a long time to get one done.

Also I think a big selling point is the convenience of owning a left crank arm power meter and the ability to move it between bikes in your posession. This kind of presumes the owner would like to keep the original crank arm.

/a

kulivontot

by kulivontot

No.

wboyle3

by wboyle3

So would my Campagnolo crank work with the stages crank then?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

wboyle3 wrote:So would my Campagnolo crank work with the stages crank then?

This question doesn't involve stages. You want to know if 11s and 10s cranks are the same on the left side.

Check campy specs.

Are both the same standard as in ultra-torque, shell width, q factor?

If yes then try. You might want to edit the topic title to attract the old campy users to this subject. I don't run campy myself.

/a

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Agree with this ^^^^

This isn't exactly a Stages question... its a question of whether the Campy 11 speed and 10 speed cranks are the same in terms of cross compatibility. As far as Stages' Shimano stuff, yes, the 10 speed and 11 speed stuff is cross compatible, heck you could even put a 105 stages on a dura ace crank if you didn't mind the non-matching aesthetics, but that doesn't mean the same is true for the campy stuff.

As for sending in your campy arm? No, they don't do that... you buy a new left arm, swap it on, keep your stock arm, so you can swap it back on if you ever need to in the future.

sp3000

by sp3000

Not mention having the original arm is helpful when you need to send the stages in for warranty... I was happy to have my old DA arm for the multiple times I was without the stages...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Just a data point. 3 stages since gen 1 weeks after they went on sale. One issue, promptly addressed. Haters gotta hate. Tons of dead pt's, quarqs and srms too. Nature of strain gauges on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MoPho

by MoPho

When I bought mine they took the crank arm in trade for a discount, but it had to be brand new unused ( I was building a new bike, so it worked out).

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Other then the battery door issue that was fixed very quickly... no other problems. Gen1 Shimano 9000 arm.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sp3000

by sp3000

Had Gen replaced due to battery door to Gen II, had Gen II replaced due to drop outs for another Gen II, all fine, no big deal... I'm not complaining about Stages at all, just saying that I sure was glad to have the original crank arm to throw on when I sent the unit back.. Worth noting that it's incredibly easy to swap the arm out so no big deal at all, you just ride with no power or cadence for a week or so here and there if worst comes to worse.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Yes the 11sp Stages Campag arm will work with a 10sp crank. The Ultra-Torque spindles are the same.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've had a total of 4 Stages crank arms.... the first one, a Gen 1 6800 had a battery door issue, which they promptly resolved... the second one, gen 1 DA9000, they sent me a 2nd new battery door and gasket when I got the replacement 6800, has been fine. I currently also have Gen 2 DA9000 arms... no issues at all. I've never had dropout issues other then when the battery door had broken.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

sp3000 wrote:Not mention having the original arm is helpful when you need to send the stages in for warranty...

This is a good point!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com