Cleat position when ur feet are not same length..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

This days, im readjusting my cleat position (from more wide, to more narrow position), and perfect time to have others opinion about problem i have: My left feet is about 6mm shorter then my right feet.

This feet difference make me problems when i need to buy shoes for cycling (actually i need two different sizes), but somehow i have a compromise going size a bit tight for the right one, and bit big for left one. Also the same problem choosing my ski shoes (but that's other problem, and different solutions there).

Also last year when i went to Rettul fitting the fitter realized that one of my leg is a bit shorter. He did not recommend shims in that time, but recommend to try pedaling one leg both sides, so that way maybe they'll go even after a while. And if not, then to come back for shims.

The problem is that i dont have access to any fitter here, and need to travel at least 800km to find some (the one i went last year is about 1300 km far away), so need to solve this alone. ( I know many will post to find good fitter to solve this for me).

Until now i was setting my cleats all the way back and same position on both shoes. But im realizing that in my case maybe i dont have symetrical position that way.

Also dont want to drill new holes in the shoes (if it's not last restort solution), and dont want to change Look pedals for now. As some kind of solution, Im planing to put right cleat 5 mm in the front compared to the left one (which will stay as back as possible on my shoes). I prefer the back position, but on right one seem that i'll have to make compromise with that 5mm.

What do u think? Can this help my problem? (And of course i'll test ride it. But before i change the position again, wnat to know ur opinions, and other experiences with this kind of problem).

Thank u

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

There is a simple logic to the solution. You must decide where the spindle should be under the foot for best performance. For example, if you like the spindle under the ball of the foot than that is where is should be located for both feet. If you find this asymmetry uncomfortable than move the big foot forward and the small foot back to bring your ankles to a more similar position. Do this in small increments until you find what feels best. In other words, you are "splitting the difference. Unfortunately there will always be some compromise but it should not affect performance in any significant way.

Also if the shorter leg is the same as the leg with the small foot, then definitely try shims. This will make up for some of the difference between the foot sizes (assuming you pedal somewhat toe down).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

My feet are also different size by 1/2 a US size or about 6 mm in length - so similar to you.

I have always centered the cleats to line up with the center of the big toe joint - the widest part of my foot.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

3Pio

by 3Pio

Mr.Gib wrote:There is a simple logic to the solution. You must decide where the spindle should be under the foot for best performance. For example, if you like the spindle under the ball of the foot than that is where is should be located for both feet. If you find this asymmetry uncomfortable than move the big foot forward and the small foot back to bring your ankles to a more similar position. Do this in small increments until you find what feels best. In other words, you are "splitting the difference. Unfortunately there will always be some compromise but it should not affect performance in any significant way.

Also if the shorter leg is the same as the leg with the small foot, then definitely try shims. This will make up for some of the difference between the foot sizes (assuming you pedal somewhat toe down).

I'll definetely try it with shims or wedges or both. Googling show me that there is Specialized BG Look Cleat Wedges:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shoes ... dge/104873

And BikeFit: Bike Fit Systems Bike Fit Leg Length Shims (Package includes one (1) Look Keo Leg Length Shim, three (3) 14 mm, three (3) 16 mm screws, two (2) Look Cleat Wedges (which can be "stacked" to create an additional 1 mm of height),)

I guess the BikeFit option is what i need to try. Any other recommendation for shims/wedges?

Also ill move the cleat 5 mm in the front on the right leg so will test ride it

DJT21

by DJT21

There's an article and video on Steve Hogg's website that details how to find the first metatarsal joint.
You can then tape a cable end to the joint, put your feet in your shoes and feel for the cable end through your shoe upper, then mark that point with a pen. Cleats should then be aligned with reference to the pen mark. For most people, there'll probably be a difference between position of the cleat on each shoe.

Your leg length discrepancy is probably functional rather than structural, you can fix this with various different stretches and release techniques.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

I have one foot smaller and the same leg shorter than the other but use Shimano pedals. My cleat positions are slightly different (slightly back on the smaller foot), and I use a 1 mm cleat shim on the shorter leg. Not sure what difference it does to be honest.
But, I found the yellow BIkeFit wedges are annoying to use as a 1 mm shim, and later changed to normal 1 mm shims made by Shimano. For Look pedals, I found something similar on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leg-Length-disc ... 2782727408

renoracing

by renoracing

I'll second the slightly different cleat position for each foot. One of my feet is about half a size US different, and therefore, I position that cleat a little bit further forward(maybe 2mm) than the other side. I also have slightly different angles on them, as I've found that my left foot/leg runs very true front to back, but my right heel tends to kick out just a little bit at full pedaling extension. So I have that cleat positioned to allow it. On the looser float Shimano cleats(yellow) I don't notice it as much if they're both dead straight, but on the blue cleats that I run on one pair of shoes, I have to adjust for it.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

My feet are 1 1/2 UK sizes different (about 12mm, a 9 right and 7.5 left) and I have always used slightly different cleat positions. I also trawled internet forums for a guy with the opposite fitting discrepancy, so we occasionally buy the same shoes in different sizes, and swap over. Worth a try, that.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

My feet are 1 1/2 UK sizes different (about 12mm, a 9 right and 7.5 left) and I have always used slightly different cleat positions. I also trawled internet forums for a guy with the opposite fitting discrepancy, so we occasionally buy the same shoes in different sizes, and swap over. Worth a try, that.

3Pio

by 3Pio

MisterMuncher wrote:My feet are 1 1/2 UK sizes different (about 12mm, a 9 right and 7.5 left) and I have always used slightly different cleat positions. I also trawled internet forums for a guy with the opposite fitting discrepancy, so we occasionally buy the same shoes in different sizes, and swap over. Worth a try, that.

Thats a good idea :) Next time buying a new shoes probably ill try something like that if dont become too coplicated

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com