Campagnolo 53T problem

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ncornelisse
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:52 am

by ncornelisse

A week ago i've changed the cranckset from Campagnolo compact to a double one, 53/39.
The only problem I have at the moment is that I can't use the 21-23-25 sprockets without a little chain rubbing at the big ring.
Yesterday I've bought a new chain a installed it with the optimal Campagnolo instructions, but that didnt help. If I add more links the chain has not any tension.

The groupset is from 2011, but the crankset is from 2016.
The screws are set properly I think, even the b screw.

Is there a solution for this problem? I know crosschain is a problem, but I want to use the 21-23 without rubbing.

magikcat
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:58 am

by magikcat

based on campagnolo's manual, post 2015 groupset parts are not compatible with those prior to 2015 models.
not sure if this the issue.

However, did you bought a campagnolo chain or from a different brand?
i've tried using KMC on my record and there was some slight rub on the smaller sprockets, i got it fixed by replacing with a campagnolo chain (chorus).

also do check on the cassette installation. may need to be reinstalled properly.

User avatar
bikerjulio
Posts: 1901
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Welland, Ontario

by bikerjulio

The incompatibility refers to shifter and derailleurs - not cranksets.

OP, I don't understand what it is that is rubbing?

What is the chain rubbing on?

You did reinstall the front derailleur - didn't you?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ncornelisse
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:52 am

by ncornelisse

Yes reinstall the existing FD and the RD.

Its like the cassette is too far to the left side. But it isn't or the crank too far to the right.

I've attached a picture and I hope you can see the problem. The chain is on the 53-23 and the cassette want to pull off the chain of the big ring.
The chain isn't rubbing the FD.
Attachments
IMG_1053.jpg

User avatar
kytyree
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:55 am
Location: US

by kytyree

Edited because I'm wishing I'd have avoided this entirely.
Last edited by kytyree on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ncornelisse
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:52 am

by ncornelisse

The chain isn't rubbing the front mech. It doesn't touch it.

And I'm aware I can't use the 25, but the 21-23 would be nice.

ianeire
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

by ianeire

What's it rubbing off if it's not touching the FD so?

joejack951
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

by joejack951

ncornelisse wrote:Yes reinstall the existing FD and the RD.

Its like the cassette is too far to the left side. But it isn't or the crank too far to the right.

I've attached a picture and I hope you can see the problem. The chain is on the 53-23 and the cassette want to pull off the chain of the big ring.
The chain isn't rubbing the FD.


If the chain isn't rubbing the FD then what is the problem? When cross-chained your chain will be at a sharp angle as it leaves the chainrings. That's perfectly normal and just a result of the geometry. Is your chain falling off the big ring?

For what it's worth, I'm using Chorus (purchased in 2016) and go big/big (50/29) all the time without any rubbing. I get a little rub in the small/small but I also have 135mm rear dropouts for my disc brakes.

3Pio
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

by 3Pio

joejack951 wrote:
ncornelisse wrote:Yes reinstall the existing FD and the RD.

Its like the cassette is too far to the left side. But it isn't or the crank too far to the right.

I've attached a picture and I hope you can see the problem. The chain is on the 53-23 and the cassette want to pull off the chain of the big ring.
The chain isn't rubbing the FD.


If the chain isn't rubbing the FD then what is the problem? When cross-chained your chain will be at a sharp angle as it leaves the chainrings. That's perfectly normal and just a result of the geometry. Is your chain falling off the big ring?

For what it's worth, I'm using Chorus (purchased in 2016) and go big/big (50/29) all the time without any rubbing. I get a little rub in the small/small but I also have 135mm rear dropouts for my disc brakes.



Using Campagnolo Record 2015 (purchased 2015), and when i go 52/29 there is FD rubbing. What is the first thing to check to avoid this if its not normal?

ncornelisse
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:52 am

by ncornelisse

Thanks for a the help, but the chain doesn't touch the FD at all.
When the chain is on the 53T and on the 21-23 or 25 its making a little angle and rubbing/scraping the big ring. It produces a kind of noise.
I know chain cross, 53-25 isn't perfect, but I want to use the 21-23 with the big ring.

Its like the chain is too tight, but with a new chain, one link longer and installed like Campagnolo says the noise/ scraping is still there.
The RD is perfectly installed.

joejack951
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

by joejack951

3Pio wrote:Using Campagnolo Record 2015 (purchased 2015), and when i go 52/29 there is FD rubbing. What is the first thing to check to avoid this if its not normal?


Because there is no trim position on the big ring (fairly certain this was an across-the-board change by Campy for the latest generation of Ultrashift), the inside of the cage is positioned by the high stop screw just like the outside of the cage. Adjust the high stop screw until you just barely have enough clearance in the big/small and see if the big/big still rubs. You may need to fine tune the angle of the cage if it still does. Worked for me.

joejack951
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

by joejack951

ncornelisse wrote:Thanks for a the help, but the chain doesn't touch the FD at all.
When the chain is on the 53T and on the 21-23 or 25 its making a little angle and rubbing/scraping the big ring. It produces a kind of noise.
I know chain cross, 53-25 isn't perfect, but I want to use the 21-23 with the big ring.

Its like the chain is too tight, but with a new chain, one link longer and installed like Campagnolo says the noise/ scraping is still there.
The RD is perfectly installed.


Without hearing the noise or seeing the setup it honestly sounds normal to me. Cross chaining will always produce additional noise due to the geometry involved. Maybe try thicker chain lube to quiet things down if it really bothers you. Or just give it some time and perhaps as the chainrings wear in they will get quieter. It has happened to me with new cassette and chain combos.

karmaz
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:39 pm

by karmaz

ncornelisse wrote:Thanks for a the help, but the chain doesn't touch the FD at all.
When the chain is on the 53T and on the 21-23 or 25 its making a little angle and rubbing/scraping the big ring. It produces a kind of noise.
I know chain cross, 53-25 isn't perfect, but I want to use the 21-23 with the big ring.

Its like the chain is too tight, but with a new chain, one link longer and installed like Campagnolo says the noise/ scraping is still there.
The RD is perfectly installed.



Since the only you've changed in the setup is chain and crankset, is the crankset properly installed? Correctly torqued and c-clip installed?

3Pio
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

by 3Pio

joejack951 wrote:
3Pio wrote:Using Campagnolo Record 2015 (purchased 2015), and when i go 52/29 there is FD rubbing. What is the first thing to check to avoid this if its not normal?


Because there is no trim position on the big ring (fairly certain this was an across-the-board change by Campy for the latest generation of Ultrashift), the inside of the cage is positioned by the high stop screw just like the outside of the cage. Adjust the high stop screw until you just barely have enough clearance in the big/small and see if the big/big still rubs. You may need to fine tune the angle of the cage if it still does. Worked for me.


Thanks. Will try it. On ride that i go often, there is short rolling hills and ussually i ride them 52/29 and this will be very usefull to me if i sort it out..

alcatraz
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

by alcatraz

If you get a larger cassette like a 28t then all those gears would be a little more in line with the big ring.

See if your crank has some spacer on the right side. You might be able to improve your big ring chainline by distributing some of that space to the left side.

/a

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post