Lightweight TT bike build ideas

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomcooling25

by tomcooling25

Hi all,

After a great deal of searching and not a lot of finding it seems that most bike manufacturers are a bit cagey about publishing the frame weights of their supposed rapid TT bikes.

I compete at age group/elite level in 70.3 and IM distance triathlon and am fancying building up a super light TT build for next season.

My plan has a few constraints;

- I want to use SRAM Red etap wifli
- The bike will be fitted with Zipp 808s/ Super9 disc
- Need to keep my Cobb fifty five saddle

Everything other than that is up for lightest wins.

I ideally want the whole thing under 7.5kgs with the 808s on so that needs the frame + forks to come in under 1250-1300gs.

So far I've had a look at the Argon E119 and E117 which seem to be the only ones that come near.

My question is, with a fastforward style seatpost and stem with the required drop to mimic my current TT position, might a road frame be the best approach to get as light as possible.

Thoughts on a postcard.
Cheers
Tom

wingguy

by wingguy

Obviously a road frame would be the lightest option, but how much of what makes a good TT bike do you want to sacrifice just so it can be a bit lighter? A TT bike is by definition for competition, so don't you want it to be as fast as possible and light, instead of light at the expense of all else?

That said, yes Argon are a good call, the 117+ should build lighter than the 119+. Or if you can get hold of a 2015/16 Cannondale Slice Hi-Mod frame it's lighter still.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

BH is obvious choice for light TT frame. Other choice would be NeilPryde Nazare with reversible post, then tt cockpit. Frame is below 1000g.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

wingguy

by wingguy

stormur wrote:BH is obvious choice for light TT frame.

Except there's a big warning on BHs website about it not having enough clearance for his wheels...

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Cervelo S5 frame?

/a

tomcooling25

by tomcooling25

I just wondered how much of a tangible difference you'd see from a properly set up road bike framed TT bike vs a tt bike framed tt bike. Same rider, same position.

Most of the races I tend to enter are hillier... purely because I do better on a hillier course than a flat one when compared to some of the big engines in triathlon. Ironman Wales for example. It's much nicer to ride that bike course on a road bike because the constant ups and downs but a light tt bike might be perfect.

anyone know how much the giant trinity frame weighs?

Cheers for all of your input though guys. I'll take a look at that slice hi mod frame you mentioned.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Lightweight makes a TT frameset ?!

Link please.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

tomcooling25 wrote:I just wondered how much of a tangible difference you'd see from a properly set up road bike framed TT bike vs a tt bike framed tt bike. Same rider, same position.

I have a spare road frame I have contemplated doing this with. Position is always the most important thing so I may test that out this year. I would go with drop bars as opposed to a full TT base bar so I could use the bike as an actual spare. Plus this gives me a chance to test out my hand a painting one as well :lol:

jever98

by jever98

I've also thought about the topic a bit and have ridden both TT and "converted" road bike frames.

Re using a "converted" road bike frame: I wouldn't do it. The front center (distance from BB to front axle) is shorter on a road bike than on a TT bike. If you keep the same position, you would put more weight on the front wheel. TT bikes are usually also built to steer slower and go better in a straight line, which you would sacrifice - your setup would be twitchier.

Re light setup: two frames that seem lightish are the Quintana Roo PR6 and the Parlee TTIR Disc (claimed 1200g frame weight). I am attracted by the TTIR Disc, because of the convenience of disc brakes vis-à-vis integrated rim brakes. For example, I currently ride a Trek Speed Concept and avoid changing wheels at all cost because the rear brake is a complete b**** to adjust. Disc would make that way more convenient. Plus the benefits of braking better, which can be interesting on hilly courses.

A thought for you: if you want to go light, don't stick to the 808 and Super 9 disc: for example, the Citec Ultra disc is a whooping 250g lighter (1075 Super 9 clincher vs 825g), their 8000 Ultra front wheel is another 160g lighter. Both very under rated products imho, but technologically interesting and good for real world use.

Have fun with your project and share what you settled on!
----
No longer in the industry

Marin

by Marin

Why disc? Just makes it heavier

Edit: Meant the OP
Last edited by Marin on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jever98

by jever98

jever98 wrote:...because of the convenience of disc brakes vis-à-vis integrated rim brakes. For example, I currently ride a Trek Speed Concept and avoid changing wheels at all cost because the rear brake is a complete b**** to adjust.
----

tomcooling25

by tomcooling25

jever98 wrote:I've also thought about the topic a bit and have ridden both TT and "converted" road bike frames.

Re using a "converted" road bike frame: I wouldn't do it. The front center (distance from BB to front axle) is shorter on a road bike than on a TT bike. If you keep the same position, you would put more weight on the front wheel. TT bikes are usually also built to steer slower and go better in a straight line, which you would sacrifice - your setup would be twitchier.

Re light setup: two frames that seem lightish are the Quintana Roo PR6 and the Parlee TTIR Disc (claimed 1200g frame weight). I am attracted by the TTIR Disc, because of the convenience of disc brakes vis-à-vis integrated rim brakes. For example, I currently ride a Trek Speed Concept and avoid changing wheels at all cost because the rear brake is a complete b**** to adjust. Disc would make that way more convenient. Plus the benefits of braking better, which can be interesting on hilly courses.

A thought for you: if you want to go light, don't stick to the 808 and Super 9 disc: for example, the Citec Ultra disc is a whooping 250g lighter (1075 Super 9 clincher vs 825g), their 8000 Ultra front wheel is another 160g lighter. Both very under rated products imho, but technologically interesting and good for real world use.

Have fun with your project and share what you settled on!

good points on the wheels mate. I suppose i've just been hesitant to change the disc + 808 because of the initial price outlay.

I considered the handling issue... i wonder if that could be negated by using a TT bike fork with a more relaxed steering angle.

I've had a look at that 2016 cannondale slice black.... could be a beauty in all black.

Once again cheers for the input.

I've got one more race (Ironman Wales next weekend) on my current Argon E112 and if I'm lucky enough to get a ticket to kona I'll get some kind of build thread on the go for the new race whip.

wingguy

by wingguy

tomcooling25 wrote:I just wondered how much of a tangible difference you'd see from a properly set up road bike framed TT bike vs a tt bike framed tt bike. Same rider, same position.

Except when you can't get the same position. Modern TT bike STAs are significantly different from road bikes. S5 vs P5 is 73 vs 79. E-117 vs Nitrogen is 78 vs 73.5. Then as mentioned the reach and FC measurements are often quite different to accomodate the forward position.

jever98

by jever98

tomcooling25 wrote:
I've got one more race (Ironman Wales next weekend) on my current Argon E112 and if I'm lucky enough to get a ticket to kona I'll get some kind of build thread on the go for the new race whip.

Good luck with that race. Bloody hard bike course. I did the first edition in 2011 (on a road bike with a forward seat post ;-). Run is a killer, too, if they haven't changed the course. My slowest IM.
----

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com