Leather top vs. Carbon Fiber saddles (SMP Forma vs. Carbon Lite)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgeesaman

by dgeesaman

Last year I switched from an SMP Glider, which I generally liked, to an all-carbon saddle of the same shape I found on Craigslist. The all carbon saddle works better for me. It's not great on bumpy roads but that's not a big deal.

I later learned it's a knockoff - probably of an SMP Carbon Lite or Forma. So long-term, I need to get back into the legit suppliers but I'm not sure which one to buy. The Carbon Lite Full is insanely expensive, full stop. The Forma Carbon Rail is half the price and has a more flexible shell, but the leather cover might increase friction.

Can anyone compare the comfort of a leather-topped / unpadded saddle (Forma) to an all carbon saddle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I have a legit Composit and a knock-off full carbon. When I first tried the knock-off I could swear it was more comfortable but not much grip. Now I just quickly get used to whichever, probably because they're both the same shape (shape being the most pertinent). You could also say that the knock-off is of high quality.
Less is more.

kgt

by kgt

I also ride an original SMP Composit. Sure the leather will increase friction in comparison to a shiny carbon shell but in any case SMPs are saddles that do not allow too much movement. That's their concept. In terms of comfort all carbon rail SMPs are supposed to be more comfortable than the stainless steel rail ones but as shimmeD says you can get used to both easily.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

My next trick is to strip the cover off the Composit, once it wears out gradually.
Less is more.

kgt

by kgt

That won't be an easy task. The glue is very strong. A few relevant posts in this long thread:
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/255344/