Can a bike be overly stiff ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

diegogarcia wrote:Work on your core, the fit is out etc etc. But as before, last 7 days riding data is 230.4 miles, 15 hours 10 mins, 12,644 feet. If the fit were that out, I would never put out those numbers.

That's a nonsensical conclusion. A change in fit that puts too much weight on your hands wouldn't stop you from being able to ride a long way, it would mean that when you rode a long way you'd get hand problems. Which you have got.

The week I bought the bike frame and had it built, I had a fit with my local fitter of whom I have used before and I am dialled in based on stack, reach, HT tube height and so son.

In what way are you dialled in based on stack and reach when you've made a significant change in stack from your previous bike setup to this one?

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

wingguy wrote:
diegogarcia wrote:Work on your core, the fit is out etc etc. But as before, last 7 days riding data is 230.4 miles, 15 hours 10 mins, 12,644 feet. If the fit were that out, I would never put out those numbers.

That's a nonsensical conclusion. A change in fit that puts too much weight on your hands wouldn't stop you from being able to ride a long way, it would mean that when you rode a long way you'd get hand problems. Which you have got.

The week I bought the bike frame and had it built, I had a fit with my local fitter of whom I have used before and I am dialled in based on stack, reach, HT tube height and so son.

In what way are you dialled in based on stack and reach when you've made a significant change in stack from your previous bike setup to this one?

Forget it mate. You are not listening. You are spoiling for an argument that does not exist. As I have repeated, I am now aware that the issue is my left hand not my right hand and I answered it myself. But again, cheers. Lets put this to bed. The fit is fine, I repeat, the fit is fine. Bloody internet. :thumbup:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Find me a fitter that is able to make 100% of their clients comfortable first try and ill find you a bunch of people lying to themselves. Your previous injury may indeed be the root cause but the fit will also be a compounding factor.
Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

OP keeps trying to claim component stiffness is more likely to cause hand discomfort than a bad fit or 25mm measured tires at 90psi. Ha ha ha.

wingguy

by wingguy

diegogarcia wrote:Forget it mate. You are not listening.

That's ironic. I've spelled out why it's likely that the fit is an issue and asked why you believe the fit is fine and all you can say is 'the fit is fine'. What is there for me to listen to?

You are spoiling for an argument that does not exist.

It's very sad that your default position is to be so defensive that a genuine attempt to help is viewed as an attack. Bloody internet indeed :cry:

As I have repeated, I am now aware that the issue is my left hand not my right hand and I answered it myself.

Yes, an old injury re-appears immediately after making a major change to your riding position. Obviously the two things are completely unrelated.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

It's not like you haven't had past fit issues or anything...

viewtopic.php?t=138982
Using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Diego, maybe you could alter fit to unweight the hands a bit? Maybe moving the saddle back, adding a spacer under the stem if possible, or raising the hoods a few mm? It could just be a few millimeters here and there that would be enough to move the weight off your hands a tiny bit. And, double wrap the bars for good measure.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

He's 200lbs riding a 54cm. Short term answer is do whatever it takes to bend the elbows more (raise bars, work on core strength.) Long term answer is lose weight.

liam7020

by liam7020

TobinHatesYou wrote:He's 200lbs riding a 54cm. Short term answer is do whatever it takes to bend the elbows more (raise bars, work on core strength.) Long term answer is lose weight.

If this lad is 200lbs and HE feels the F8 is too stiff that kinda confirms my assertion that the F8 is a woeful piece of garbage! We all can do witrh improving our core functionality but that ain't gonna kill road buzz from a two wheeled razor blade!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

OK some interesting points raised here. First of all, the paradox was or is that my neck ache was caused by buying a sportive / tall head tube bike back in 2014, a DEFY ADV SL. This new position brought on more neck pain than you can imagine. So I revised my thoughts saw a bike fitter and we concluded that using data I was better suited to a racier bike with a head tube in the realms of 150 to 170 and a fit to follow. The Defy position really did not suit my natural position on a bike. I took a sensible approach and spent 6 months riding a 105 Synapse last year to eek out the injury and see how I felt on a bike. Don't forget that the 54cm Dogma is a 38cm reach bike approx and actually more or less the same reach as a 54cm Synapse once dialled in.

Regarding the internet, my default position is that I simply asked if others have found the F8 very stiff. Clearly it has shaken out an issue with my left hand, but that's not new, it ruined my guitar career and so on but it has been more pronounced on the F8 than other machines, again hence my question. Regarding my fit, I am not sure how I can pursue a change when there really is not 'much' to change but I am going for a slightly longer reach bar offset by a reduction on the stem to see how that feels.

Finally, let is be noted that I am actually 196 lb and strong. Far from 200lbs lbs ;-) Anyway, think that about covers it. Love to all. Maybe the mods could lock this now as it is actually not going anywhere, apart from assume that the OP is a uselss divot which is rather unfair because as before it seems to focus on my inability rather than my ability. I hold my hands up you are a better bike rider than me. Nice one.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

230mi / 12600ft over 15hr is not that strong. For me that's a weighted average of 150W.

mrgray

by mrgray

different people do different stuff. from my perspective (and i am sure quite a few others) 377 km and ~ 4,000 m of climbing in a week is a huge effort and indicates that alot of stuff is going right.

but to the original question, it does seem to be the case that a bike can be too stiff. i've had two: a cannondale bad boy (thick aluminium, just awful) and a focus izalco which felt like it was made out of ceramic. back then i didn't know much so instead of experimenting with wheels, tyres, etc i just sold it as quick as i could and bought a c40 instead. relatively speaking it was like an armchair or something.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

TobinHatesYou wrote:230mi / 12600ft over 15hr is not that strong. For me that's a weighted average of 150W.

Fair shout. Give Big Dave at SKY a call. Do remember there are no mountains in the UK.

I am at 278 watts for 20 mins and nearing 46 years old. It'll do for me. As I said, the F8 is a stiff frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

diegogarcia wrote:
Forget it mate. You are not listening. You are spoiling for an argument that does not exist. As I have repeated, I am now aware that the issue is my left hand not my right hand and I answered it myself. But again, cheers. Lets put this to bed. The fit is fine, I repeat, the fit is fine. Bloody internet. :thumbup:

and when the reach is too long or low, most body will automatically sacrifice one side by minutely tilting one side of the body in closer and more weight into it. In many case it also pull rider to the front cause some saddle discomfort too. According to "Bike Fit Adviser" 's youtube channel, this is pretty common.

don't know if it's your case but one side problem really remind me of this problem.
Last edited by Hexsense on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.