Can a bike be overly stiff ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

wingguy wrote:
diegogarcia wrote:Anyway peace and love to all. Sorry for the late reply, been out smashing out a solid 32 miler, 1,800 feet not too bad but bloody windy out. I must ride less and sort my position :beerchug: :up: :thumbup:

It's confusing when you combine a purportedly friendly and positive post with a sarcastic misrepresentation of the advice people have tried to offer in good faith.

It is called irony.

Anyway, 90psi on my 30mm carbon clinchers today, usual mild buzz in the left hand, only thumb and two fingers affected by my accident which occurred May 10th 1989 !

Conjoined nerve endings haunting me now. Ring finger and pinky no issues at all. Right hand fine. Literally no issue. Stiff frame though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

diegogarcia wrote:
wingguy wrote:
diegogarcia wrote:Anyway peace and love to all. Sorry for the late reply, been out smashing out a solid 32 miler, 1,800 feet not too bad but bloody windy out. I must ride less and sort my position :beerchug: :up: :thumbup:

It's confusing when you combine a purportedly friendly and positive post with a sarcastic misrepresentation of the advice people have tried to offer in good faith.

It is called irony.

Sure. It's also what I just said it was.

Which is kind of a metaphor for what's happening to you on the new bike. You seem to think the change in position can't be at fault because your problem is only affecting a previously injured hand... as if the change in position can't be responsible for bringing that pre-existing weakness back into the open. It really is a very odd mindset.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

wingguy wrote:
diegogarcia wrote:
wingguy wrote:

It is called irony.

Sure. It's also what I just said it was.

Which is kind of a metaphor for what's happening to you on the new bike. You seem to think the change in position can't be at fault because your problem is only affecting a previously injured hand... as if the change in position can't be responsible for bringing that pre-existing weakness back into the open. It really is a very odd mindset.

Not really, it happened before. Just the Dogma is a stiff frame.

Anyway, lets call it a day. I think we are both bored sh*tless by it now. Cheers.

wingguy

by wingguy

diegogarcia wrote:Not really, it happened before. Just the Dogma is a stiff frame.

Sure, according to the thread the other guy found it happened before... and once you changed your fit you found out the 'really stiff' frame you were riding back then was actually fine. Now you've changed your fit again and problems have recurred... but once more you think it's definitely and exclusively the frame's fault. Is it an odd mindset? Yes, really.

Anyway, lets call it a day. I think we are both bored sh*tless by it now. Cheers.

You said that three pages ago :wink:

flying

by flying

Not just for the OP as I see he wants out but for others who
may suffer the same...

It is a funny thing fit & can take a long time to sort out.
Make notes & small changes & give yourself time to see & note differences

I was I think the first one to mention fit & falling forward if removing hands
from bars in post on page 1

Many have since suggested stem length, wheels,tires,pressure etc etc....but
these things will not take weight off your hands/bars which is probably causing your numb hands

The tipping forward weighting of hands has more to do with your position in relation to BB
How far behind say nose of saddle is to center of BB

If your tipping forward/over weighting hands try moving seat back in increments till your not
Then you can adjust stem length to what you need reach wise with whatever method you use for that
Basically what I said on page one about tipping forward if removing hands in riding position

This of course is all in my opinion
But I do hate to see a bike that is obviously great getting a bad rap as overly stiff injury causing etc
If it were true the bike would not be wildly popular as it is ( No I do not own one) :D

Good Luck OP hope you sort it :thumbup:

Leviathan

by Leviathan

So notwithstanding the probability the OP has long gone, its time for my opinions as a definitive ruling.
Can a bike be too stiff? Yes.
Is the Dogma F8? Mine is borderline, at least for me. Going from a Time NXRS and a Boardman SLR the same rigidity which makes it accelerate in climbs so well, and track so precisely downhill, can feel like an hour in the local "shake shack" after a long ride.

However, and this is the ex-Dynamic Systems Engineer in me, its pretty pointless to isolate the front end layup from the overall dynamic system. Were I to have to guestimate the individual correlative factors in a multi-variable dynamic response equation Id say 25% physical condition, 25% fit, 25% wheel & tire, 15% fork and 10% bad maths.
So inevitably, this being the interweb, people will try and address issues you think you've got covered a) because they matter more, and b) because they don’t really read nor care what your individual viewpoint is. Fits are notoriously difficult to replicate from one bike to the next with different geometries (and F8 did change a lot from earlier Smegmas) Fundamentally, go through the checklist, make small changes to one contributory element at a time and then forget about it as its all probably psychosomatic pain anyway. Ride on.