2018 Scott Foil disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Renne

by Renne

I was really looking forward to this one. Was hoping for a clean front end, some nice integration of the cables like the new Ridley Noah Aero+ or the new BMC's...but no dice. That cable spaghetti up front doesn't look very aero.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ils-50643/

hannawald

by hannawald

It is a pity with the cables, but i like its appearance more than the new Propel Disc. May be it is because of weight...the Giants stem is about 200g? Hard to say what is the aerodynamics lost..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

All these cables really do not look good (and certainly not that aerodynamic). Too bad.

hannawald

by hannawald

Has anyone seen some claims about cables drag? For example new Pinarello F10 Disc also has visible cables and it is among the best in class..

I have seen some claims from Ridley (they hid cables on Noah Disc 2018), but noone else..

Unfortunately Ridley Noah Disc is heavy and I am not fan of Giants colours..

hannawald

by hannawald

Scott Foil Premium Disc mit Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 - 11999 Euro
Scott Foil 10 Disc mit Shimano Ultegra Di2 - 4699 Euro
Scott Foil 20 Disc mit Shimano Ultegra mechanisch - 3599 Euro
Scott Foil Premium Rahmen-Set 4399 Euro
Scott Foil 10 Disc - 2999 Euro

Avail. from January..

Source: http://www.roadbike.de/news/neue-rennra ... 1892.9.htm

Renne

by Renne

hannawald wrote:Has anyone seen some claims about cables drag? For example new Pinarello F10 Disc also has visible cables and it is among the best in class..

I have seen some claims from Ridley (they hid cables on Noah Disc 2018), but noone else..

Unfortunately Ridley Noah Disc is heavy and I am not fan of Giants colours..

I love the look of the new Ridley Noah SL Aero+ but they are ridiculously heavy (the weights they give are even for unpainted frames...I mean come on).
Not a big fan of the new Giant Propel disc either so was kind of hoping Scott to come up with a nice new Foil disc frame. I like the fairings, that's a nice feature and the fact that it's a mere 40g difference with the rim brake version. But that's about it really...

Delorre

by Delorre

As usual, out of the box, those bikes come with far too long cables, in the case of the white bike, also with easy couplers. It should not be more than a 30 minute job to clean up the cables according to the desired stem lenght and spacer stack. Once done, if using Di2, you only have 2 visible cables. Not worse than any good looking rim brake bike. The best exemple of cable integrationis is for the new slr01, but other than that, I still prefer a normal, classy stem with 2 cables visisble, rather than the arse ugly stem of a 2018 propel f.ex and no cables.

TonyM

by TonyM

Renne wrote:
I love the look of the new Ridley Noah SL Aero+ but they are ridiculously heavy (the weights they give are even for unpainted frames...I mean come on).
Not a big fan of the new Giant Propel disc either so was kind of hoping Scott to come up with a nice new Foil disc frame. I like the fairings, that's a nice feature and the fact that it's a mere 40g difference with the rim brake version. But that's about it really...

I hope that the new Tarmac disc will be the road disc bike I am looking for! Unfortunately (or fortunately maybe so that it doesn't have any no-go characteristic) it is said to be announced early 2018...I hope it is not true and it will be announce shortly, maybe at Interbike Germany

Renne

by Renne

You mean the one they show at the end of this article?
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/06/30/ne ... tter-ride/
Not a fan of Specialized as a company.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

The new foil is dope. They even say it's not meant to be a full out aero bike. It's more of an all around race bike with an aero advantage. It's a great do it all bike. Really not available until January though? That sucks.

TonyM

by TonyM

Renne wrote:You mean the one they show at the end of this article?

Yed that's the pictures that we have seen so far and hopefully they work on some improvements (i.e "cleaner" cockpit) that explains the delay in the official announcement.

Why don't you like the company?

Renne

by Renne

TonyM wrote:
Renne wrote:You mean the one they show at the end of this article?

Yed that's the pictures that we have seen so far and hopefully they work on some improvements (i.e "cleaner" cockpit) that explains the delay in the official announcement.

Why don't you like the company?

Oh it's just me. I'm not a big Boonen, Terpstra (heck the whole quickstep/Lefevre team), Sagan fan and they have kind of always been the faces of the big S. And they also lost a lot of credit with the whole Cafe Roubaix thing. Claiming a bike shop could not use the Roubaix name for his shop...it's the name of a French village WTF! Also trying to sponsor as many big teams as possible at one point (Astana, Quickstep, Tinkoff).
Again I know this is all very personal and makes no real objective sense...but :noidea:

TonyM

by TonyM

hannawald wrote:Has anyone seen some claims about cables drag? For example new Pinarello F10 Disc also has visible cables and it is among the best in class..
(...)

That's what I was also thinking originally.

But after looking at some reviews and videos of the 2018 Scott Foil Disc I saw one where Scott stated in one video that you could not see a difference between having the cables exposed outside or integrated in the stem and frame in the front.

I suppose it makes a difference but not that significant (even at 40-45 km/h it seems). Otherwise we would see also more manufacturers (for example Ridley, BMC, Wilier) claiming the aero advantage of having all cables integrated (compared to partially integrated or shortened).

TonyM

by TonyM

Thenuge wrote:The new foil is dope. They even say it's not meant to be a full out aero bike. It's more of an all around race bike with an aero advantage. It's a great do it all bike. (...)

Actually I like this honest and true statement :wink:

The full aero bike which are conformed to the UCI are the bikes used in the Time Trials.
And then you have the even more aero bikes used in the triathlons.

Now what is the real difference in terms of aerodynamics between an all around race bike with an aero advantage (Scott Foil for example) and an all around race bike (Scott Addict for example)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com