Another Colnago C60 sizing...sorry

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

I know there's a few threads on it...sorry

I went to buy a size 48S today which was on sale for about a week.......they sold it.

They only have 45S.....he suggest I could get it. Here is link to C60 geometry
http://www.colnago.com/en/c60/

I'm trying to compare the geometry of my current bike vs the C60(45s), biggest difference is the Stack and Top Tube length but the Reach is 2mm difference.

Any comments?

Height 172cm, inseam 77cm, current saddle height is 69.5cm riding a cyclocross Specialized Diverge
Stock stem=90mm 6deg, 20mm spacers, bars (42cm wide, 70mm reach)......very comfortable
Reach=378
Stack=544
Top Tube=534
Seat Tube=447

The C60 size 45s is
Reach=380
Stack=524
Top Tube=519
Seat Tube=450

The C60 size 48s I was going to get is as:
Reach=383
Stack=528
Top Tube=530
Seat Tube=480

corky

by corky

Of course he's going to say it will fit,.......

Personally I would go with 48s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Both of those frames have 2cm less stack. In my opinion, a C60 isn't a good fit for you. An XS Parlee Altum would be a much better fit as it would let you run a longer stem without a huge spacer tower.

An XS Tall will have 544 stack and a very short reach of 357 which would allow you to run a more normal stem of 110mm.
I
Actually, a Small Tall would be even better with a stack of 367 and reach of 361mm. No need for spacers and still a 110 stem.

I know you probably really have your heart set on a C60 but not every bike is made for every person.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The tall Colnago headset cap is also 15mm tall... on top of these stack numbers.

mag

by mag

45s - no
Regarding C60 not being a good fit - I think at least 50s or 55t could make a good, sort of conservative fit. 48s may be too low (or not) and would deserve giving it a try before buying.
That Diverge has quite conservative geometry (no surprise for a XC bike) and thus I wouldn't use it as some kind of good benchmark for road use.
It would be definitely useful to undergo some fitting session or at least take the bike You consider buying for a ride...

AJS914

by AJS914

The C60 is also a racing bike. You might want to set it up more aggressively than the Diverge (meaning more saddle to bar drop and/or longer stem).

ODC

by ODC

If you really want the C60 maybe you must look at the high geometry?
They have normal, slooping and high
48h must be good for you!

Boshk

by Boshk

Thanks guys, I don't think they even sell the High geometry version here.

I know I can't really compare a cyclocross to a road race bike, but its the only reference I have.

One shop does have a retul bike fit machine which apparently can simulate the geometry of a C60, maybe I'll pay for that fit and see but I also see a problem with them, can you tell if a geometry is really right in a 30mins bike fit?
A 30mins ride compare to 2hrs or even 3hrs ride is vastly different.....I'm sure most people would adjust their position accordingly.

RyanH

by RyanH

No, in my opinion a fit is just a starting point. You work with a fitter from there to tweak any issues that arise. You definitely do not go into a fit and ask them to set it up for a target bike, that's backwards. You should go in there with a blank slate or at least your diverge and go from there. A good fitter should ask a lot of questions and then make decisions based on that.

If anything, begin trying out different positions on your Diverge, namely a longer stem first and then maybe dropping the stem down later. As much as you want a C60, you're going to be missing the essence of a C60 with an 80mm stem and spacer tower.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

For the typical use case of a C60 and the rider dimensions listed, I see no issue with the 45s. As mentioned earlier, it's a top tier 'race' bike and I hope it gets treated as such. At 178cm with high flexibility, I would choose a 48s for myself.

Of course I know nothing about the OP's real intentions. If he just wants something like his Diverge with 544mm stack plus 2cm in spacers plus tall headset bearing cap, the only C60 he should be looking at is the 48h.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delorre

by Delorre

Keep in mind that even if stack and reach numbers can work for you, the seat angle on the smallest Colnago sizes is really steep (top rube length difference is almost only achieved by playing with the seat tube angle on the smaller sizes). So, depending on saddle setback that is needed, those smaller sizes my not work in reality!

@Tobin : you choose a 54 H1, but with the saddle slammed completely at the back of the seatpost and a long stem. You could have the exact same riding position with a 56 H1, but with the saddle more in the middle of the rails, almost no spacers and maybe a 1 cm shorter stem. If the seat angle of the 54 H1 had been even steeper, in reality, you would have been able to achieve your desired riding position, even if stack and reach would have been the same :wink:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

-89mm setback, increased from -84mm from a fit a year ago and there's still 1cm in marked lines on the saddle rail to go farther back. As for the stack, the 1cm spacer and the bearing cover boosts the stack to around 545mm, still lower than a 56cm unless I use a 73/17deg stem, and I don't think it matches the sloping top tube.

My fitter wanted the spacers added because Retul designates a 40-50 degree back angle as optimal. He also wanted me to bend my elbows less. Normally my elbows are almost 90deg regardless if I'm on the hoods or drops. I'm trying the more upright position for the next week, but it's been uncomfortable on long rides. I'll probably remove the spacers soon and let my fitter know that the spacers didn't work out. I just don't want to change my mind suddenly after the steerer has been cut.

Also the saddle would not be in a dramatically different position on the 56cm as well...the STA is only .4deg different. The fitter emphasizes glute activation and I think he also wants to minimize knee flexion in his clients pedaling.

What can I say...I have a lanky physiology with long arms and femurs. This is how I looked on a much taller bike before the Emonda.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:For the typical use case of a C60 and the rider dimensions listed, I see no issue with the 45s. As mentioned earlier, it's a top tier 'race' bike and I hope it gets treated as such. At 178cm with high flexibility, I would choose a 48s for myself.

Of course I know nothing about the OP's real intentions. If he just wants something like his Diverge with 544mm stack plus 2cm in spacers plus tall headset bearing cap, the only C60 he should be looking at is the 48h.

Im 175 cm, and 82.5 cm inseam. My fitter year ago suggested to get 50S which i done. I dont have high flexibility (on 50S saddle to handlebar drop is 6 cm. Still wondering if i got 48S because of shorter reach, maybe i'll be able to have bigger handlebar drop compared to 50S)

With 178 cm and high flexibiluty, ull pick the 48S and not 50S because u think u will not able to put ur handlebar on 50S low enough (even with low stack headset cup), or just to get more responsive racing riding on 48S (with more spacers under the stem compared to 50S) ?

Boshk

by Boshk

TobinHatesYou wrote:For the typical use case of a C60 and the rider dimensions listed, I see no issue with the 45s. As mentioned earlier, it's a top tier 'race' bike and I hope it gets treated as such. At 178cm with high flexibility, I would choose a 48s for myself.

thanks. Maybe a bike fit would be the best way.

My intention isn't to buy a new bike which has the same geometry as the Diverge, if that's the case, I would just replace it with a carbon version.

Boshk

by Boshk

just venting...haha

Had the chance to buy a brand new C60 frame size 48S in PLG6 colour for $2950US, had the cash, then had some silly second thought.....went back 3 days later to buy it and it was gone.

Now the cheapest frame available is $3500-4100!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com