Rim brake advice and feedback needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woogie11

by woogie11

Hi all. I'm building up a new bike and was hoping for some advice on brakes.
When I last built a bike up, about 6 years ago, I ran and loved the Bram M5 brakes. They seemingly haven't had demand, as they're impossible to find. I have emailed them directly and have yet to hear anything, and there seems to be no brakes available online. Anyone have any leads on who might stock them? Anyone trying to part with some??

Secondly, general consensus on the KCNC CB3 seems to be positive. Would anyone be able to comment on how the lever feel is with them? I prefer a positive, solid/snappy feel from brakes. Could you compare the overall modulation and power to Dura Ace 9100? Or, probably hoping too much here, the M5 brakes?

Based on what I'm looking for, is there another recommendation I should look more closely at? Thanks for reading and any help!

Bogan

by Bogan

EE Cycleworks.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Bogan wrote:EE Cycleworks.

Seconded........
BB

Coffee & carbon

Marin

by Marin

I like my Ciamillos.

morganb

by morganb

beanbiken wrote:

Seconded........

Thirded, among light weight brakes nothing compares in terms of power or adjustability.

sp3000

by sp3000

Fourthed... Don't waste your time looking at any other light weight options...

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

The TRP 970SL brakes are very nice.

woogie11

by woogie11

Hey. Thanks for the posts guys. I really was hoping to find M5s again but, not only does that seem unlikely, I just realized they wouldn't fit my rim and tire setup. The EE's were my second choice. Are these compatible with the cable pull of the new DA 9100 levers?

I hadn't looked at the TRPs. Are those compatible with the DA 9100s? How's the lever feel with them? Would anyone be able to compare the two brakes? Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated.

kode54

by kode54

lots of WWs use them with DA9xxx set ups. i have them on my DA9070 and works well.

also, cable housing may affect lever 'feel' as some housing are different than others. can't go wrong with EEs.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

woogie11 wrote:Hey. Thanks for the posts guys. I really was hoping to find M5s again but, not only does that seem unlikely, I just realized they wouldn't fit my rim and tire setup. The EE's were my second choice. Are these compatible with the cable pull of the new DA 9100 levers?

I hadn't looked at the TRPs. Are those compatible with the DA 9100s? How's the lever feel with them? Would anyone be able to compare the two brakes? Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated.

EEs work with 9100 levers yes. the action is as good as it gets outside of Dura Ace. Very very nice. prefer the single mount to the dual mount though. spring is much more elegant.

woogie11

by woogie11

That's exactly the sort of comments I was looking for. And I agree about the single mount, definitely looks much better. Alright, I'll take the plunge. Unless somebody will sell me the THM brakes for 1/2 price. My new bike is gone be maximum delicious! TYVM!

Marin

by Marin

IDENTITAIRE wrote:

Seriously? A Far-right road cyclist? :doh:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com