New Frameset: Decisions, decisions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Turning 53 a week from Sunday and my wonderful wife has OK'd a new frameset to celebrate!! Have a C59 which I rode and loved, then added a Look 695 a couple of years ago. Tended to favor the Colnago until this last spring. I've been retired since last August and had a great year of riding. Seen big gains (for an old guy) in my power numbers and overall fitness and now almost always grab the Look. Feels stiffer and much more efficient, power numbers on identical rides are noticeably higher without exception. Actually wondered if there was an as yet undiscovered crack in the frame. Anyway, yo-yoing between the '18 Emonda SLR and the New Tarmac. Looking for a lighter bike, with direct mount brakes and ability to run bigger tires in bad weather. While the Emonda does have more relaxed geometry numbers, both appear to be race-intended machines that should not disappoint in the acceleration and stiffness arenas.

moyboy

by moyboy

I was debating between the two framesets too. Ended up picking the S-works 2018 Tarmac Sagan vs. the SLR. Geometry with the standard SLR was the H2 vs. H1. Something in between would have been nice.
Also couldn't say no to the Sagan paint job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

vamoots58 wrote:Turning 53 a week from Sunday and my wonderful wife has OK'd a new frameset to celebrate!! Have a C59 which I rode and loved, then added a Look 695 a couple of years ago. ........ Anyway, yo-yoing between the '18 Emonda SLR and the New Tarmac. Looking for a lighter bike, with direct mount brakes and ability to run bigger tires in bad weather.

Nice birthday present to come.

I'll be the first to NOT stick to both your choices.....

I assume you don't want another Look because the 785 Huez RS is out soon, at 730g for small frame.
Your Emonda SLR is 640g and 665g for the disc version.
No idea on Tarmac Comp or Sworks weight.

Since you state you want bigger tires and bad weather, ever consider going hyd disc?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Ultralight Tarmac SL6 weighs 733g for a 56cm.

The weights are going to be about 100-150g higher than listed for Emonda SLRs and Tarmac SL6s with regular paint.

My 54cm Emonda SLR Disc (H1) frame weighed 760g with Trek-Segafredo paint. The complete bike weighs 7.25kg / 16lbs with deep ENVE SES 5.6 Disc wheels, K-Edge mount, Garmin Vector 2 PM, and bottle cages. After riding the non-Disc Tarmac SL6 and Teammachine SLR01, I quickly settled on the Emonda. It's by far the most agile bike of the three I tested, though the Teammachine was a little more compliant/comfortable.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

53 and retired? You're my new God. EVERY DAY I dream about this exact scenario and being able to ride a daily 100km.

Between the Emonda and the Tarmac I would probably choose the Emonda based on weight and the Tarmac based on looks. I'd probably look to drop the <100g difference somewhere else and end up with the Tarmac though...

As far as stiffness goes, at this level it should be way beyond what the average rider can perceive...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Emonda is also significantly less expensive than the Tarmac even if you get a custom paint job through Project One. Aesthetics are of course subjective. The concavity and curves on the Emonda are pretty striking in-person, though I guess the trend right now is squarer looking bikes.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of my Emonda and a friend's new Tarmac Ultralight for academic purposes.

morrisond

by morrisond

I don't have the numbers for a regular Tarmac but just FYI...

The S-Works Tarmac and Emonda SLR are two totally different bikes in terms of stiffness.

TOUR has measured the Emonda SLR at 52N/mm in the BB (Tour considers 60N a number high enough for a Perfect Grade) and 84N/mm in the Headtube (Below Perfect as well)

TOUR has measured the S-Works Tarmac at 84N/mm on the BB and 120 on the Headtube - Thats 61% stiffer in the BB and 39% stiffer in the headtube.

I think your C59 would be a lot like the Emonda in terms of stiffness.

The Tarmac may be too stiff - but how much do you weigh? If you are a bigger guy you may not find the Emonda noodly but it may not have the performance and feel you are after.

Try before you buy if you can.

BTW the C60 is measured at 60 in the BB and 92 in the Headtube. Supposedly it's stiffer than the C59 so that may be a good route for you to go.

moyboy

by moyboy

Yes, to get to that advertised Trek Emonda SLR weight you need to get the Vapor Coat paint job.

TobinHatesYou wrote:The Ultralight Tarmac SL6 weighs 733g for a 56cm.

The weights are going to be about 100-150g higher than listed for Emonda SLRs and Tarmac SL6s with regular paint.

My 54cm Emonda SLR Disc (H1) frame weighed 760g with Trek-Segafredo paint. The complete bike weighs 7.25kg / 16lbs with deep ENVE SES 5.6 Disc wheels, K-Edge mount, Garmin Vector 2 PM, and bottle cages. After riding the non-Disc Tarmac SL6 and Teammachine SLR01, I quickly settled on the Emonda. It's by far the most agile bike of the three I tested, though the Teammachine was a little more compliant/comfortable.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Morisson, would you be so kind to post the numbers for the giant tcr sl if available? Many thanks

morrisond

by morrisond

The Giant TCR ADvanced SL 0 was tested in the same issue - 106 HT/ 72 BB - nice and stiff bike

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Many thanks. So a bit under the Tarmac but also at least 1000e cheaper (frame). I am looking for a high stiffness frame as I'm over 90k but doubt I can afford the Tarmac without saving for which I lack patience :)

vamoots58

by vamoots58

I'm around 81kg - FTP 240W - Not exactly a powerhouse or a big gear masher. I appreciate all the detailed data/feedback!!

morrisond wrote:I don't have the numbers for a regular Tarmac but just FYI...

The S-Works Tarmac and Emonda SLR are two totally different bikes in terms of stiffness.

TOUR has measured the Emonda SLR at 52N/mm in the BB (Tour considers 60N a number high enough for a Perfect Grade) and 84N/mm in the Headtube (Below Perfect as well)

TOUR has measured the S-Works Tarmac at 84N/mm on the BB and 120 on the Headtube - Thats 61% stiffer in the BB and 39% stiffer in the headtube.

I think your C59 would be a lot like the Emonda in terms of stiffness.

The Tarmac may be too stiff - but how much do you weigh? If you are a bigger guy you may not find the Emonda noodly but it may not have the performance and feel you are after.

Try before you buy if you can.

BTW the C60 is measured at 60 in the BB and 92 in the Headtube. Supposedly it's stiffer than the C59 so that may be a good route for you to go.

53x12

by 53x12

TobinHatesYou wrote:The Emonda is also significantly less expensive than the Tarmac even if you get a custom paint job through Project One. Aesthetics are of course subjective. The concavity and curves on the Emonda are pretty striking in-person, though I guess the trend right now is squarer looking bikes.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of my Emonda and a friend's new Tarmac Ultralight for academic purposes.

Yeah Allison's Ultralight is sharp looking.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

TonyM

by TonyM

The best of the Trek is the red color.
I hope Spec. will offer nice bright colors for the new Tarmac and not only "crazy" (even if they are sometimes nice) paint jobs like Sagan Superstar/ Allez Sprint etc...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DJT21

by DJT21

That S-Works is one of the worst looking bikes I think I've seen.