power2Max meters choices??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Hey, got 2 weird questions I would like to ask....

1) Campagnolo and Shimano, I gather their chains, derailleurs and chainrings are different therefore they aren't compatible? true or not?

2) I'm considering a P2M meter on my future bike, Colnago C60 so I'm looking to see which ones are compatible?
There are so many choices but it seems its mainly for shimano components.

https://www.power2max.de/europe/en/
There have their top models the NGs, then its Type S and I believe in a week, they will announce their NG-eco.

referring to Type S...

If I install a Campagnolo groupset on the bike, there is only 1 option, their Type S Campagnolo 11.

If I install a standard Shimano 105 or ultra groupset, correct me if I'm wrong, but..
-I can use the Rotor3d24 model.....but with Praxis chainrings...using standard 24mm shimano pressfit
-I can use Type S FSA Gossamer with Praxis rings
-I can use FSA K-Force Light BB386 with Praxis rings but will need 30mm axle adapter...
-I can use Rotor 3D+

So as long as I can install an adapter into my C60's 86.5x41 BB, I can install any of the above?

I only had a look at the Europe site, but the Campagnolo vs other is near double the price.

Grill

by Grill

1. Pretty much. Cassettes have near identical spacing though, so easy to swap wheels between the two (11spd)
2. Unsure about the 386, but if running Shimano/SRAM drivetrain, Rotor 3d24 is the best choice. Will work with pretty much any BB standard on the market which future-proofs you and makes it easier to swap between bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

The NG/NGeco allow you to order in a 4 bolt 110 asymmetric bolt pattern if you'd like to run Shimano rings. I run Praxis on all of my 5 bolt set ups but nothing beats Shimano rings when you have the rest of their drivetrain. You could do a Rotor 3D then get that set up if you expect to stay Shimano for a while.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I'd shoot an email over to them. They are super helpful.

I have a P2M Classic w/ rotor & Praxis rings. A few notes: 1) the outer chain pin facing the crank arm is too long on the Praxis rings I had. I had to trim it a bit. I assume P2M will do this for you. 2) Make sure you have the install tool. https://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Prod ... -rotor-3d/ If you can't get it at a reasonable cost, find a local shop that has one. 3) Mine is super thoughtless reliable. Battery lasts forever, nothing to turn on or adjust, nothing ever faults.

morganb

by morganb

jfranci3 wrote:I'd shoot an email over to them. They are super helpful.

I have a P2M Classic w/ rotor & Praxis rings. A few notes: 1) the outer chain pin facing the crank arm is too long on the Praxis rings I had. I had to trim it a bit. I assume P2M will do this for you. 2) Make sure you have the install tool. https://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Prod ... -rotor-3d/ If you can't get it at a reasonable cost, find a local shop that has one. 3) Mine is super thoughtless reliable. Battery lasts forever, nothing to turn on or adjust, nothing ever faults.

New Praxis Buzz rings (as of a few months ago) came with two pins that you install with an allen key onto a threaded portion of the ring. This allowed you to adjust for SRAM exogram positioning, and also the length of the pin. This was onto 3D+ cranks with a Type S.

boysa

by boysa

There is a lot of cross-compatibility between systems. I'm currently running a P2M NG with Rotor 3D24 cranks, Praxis rings, Kogel bottom bracket... DA9100 front & rear derailleurs and shifters... a Wipperman chain... and Chorus cassette. The shifting is on the money.

Before this setup, I was using a P2M Type S with Rotor cranks, Praxis rings, and the rest was Campy. Originally Super Record, then Record, then Chorus (racing=crashing=replacing parts!!). Same thing. No issues whatsoever.

I highly recommend P2M. They just work. I used Quarq for years, but always had the nagging sensation things were adrift and found myself calibrating all the time. This was through several iterations of their meters. With P2M, it never crosses my mind.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Boshk

by Boshk

boysa wrote:There is a lot of cross-compatibility between systems. I'm currently running a P2M NG with Rotor 3D24 cranks, Praxis rings, Kogel bottom bracket... DA9100 front & rear derailleurs and shifters... a Wipperman chain... and Chorus cassette. The shifting is on the money.

Before this setup, I was using a P2M Type S with Rotor cranks, Praxis rings, and the rest was Campy. Originally Super Record, then Record, then Chorus (racing=crashing=replacing parts!!). Same thing. No issues whatsoever.

I highly recommend P2M. They just work. I used Quarq for years, but always had the nagging sensation things were adrift and found myself calibrating all the time. This was through several iterations of their meters. With P2M, it never crosses my mind.

Thanks

-Didn't know that you could run Shimano DA rear derailleur with a Campagnolo cassette or replace a campagnolo crankset with praxis/rotor

I was going to use Chorus groupset, but replace the Chorus crankset with either
1) a Type S 3D24 which is Praxis rings, shimano axle and Rotor arms
2) wait for their new NG-eco which apparently is P2M NG-eco 3D24 with a BCD 110 4-s....basically use shimano ultegra/DA chainrings and rotor crankarms

boysa

by boysa

Yes, it works pretty darn flawlessly, actually. FWIW, I've also run a Quarq Elsa with SRAM Red cranks on an otherwise entirely Campy setup. No issues there, either.

Are you in Europe? I've only dealt with P2M's North American distributor, and they've been fantastic.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

sib

by sib

Boshk wrote:2) wait for their new NG-eco which apparently is P2M NG-eco 3D24 with a BCD 110 4-s....basically use shimano ultegra/DA chainrings and rotor crankarms

This is definitely a possibility, but it might not look too pretty:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/pow ... eters.html

There's a special offer on the Type S 3D24 at the moment.
Just put in an order for one today..!

madik

by madik

I hope they will release some more details about the NG Eco lineup. There is nothing on P2M website yet. I would be interested in Rotor 3D24 for 4 bolts Shimano chainrings. But is it going to be for the new R9100 chainrings or the older R9000, 6800.. ?
Functionality > Performance > Weight

kauphy

by kauphy

What's going to be the difference between the current type S and NG Eco? Or is NG Eco just rebranded Type S with a price drop?

sib

by sib

Type S is Ant+ only, NG Eco uses bluetooth smart as well.
Some other minor differences, but that's the big one.

Boshk

by Boshk

kauphy wrote:What's going to be the difference between the current type S and NG Eco? Or is NG Eco just rebranded Type S with a price drop?

News is..
NG-eco is apparently NG with less features
Both NG has bluetooth so good if you are into apps OR you are using iPad Swift.
Type S is ANT+ only, not a problem if you only use your Garmin or ANT+ bike computer or ANT+ dongle with PC for Swift/Traineroad

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com