Removing superglue off a frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sussexhills

by sussexhills

I managed to get a large blob superglue on my Supersix seat tube after rolling off too quickly when using it to repair a tyre, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should use to remove it?

It's the Black Inc matte carbon finish with a very thin layer of clearcoat so nervous about using a razorblade and would rather go with chemical.

by 573

Acetone should remove the superglue. If you struggle to find any, it's used in lots of nail-varnish removers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Acetone first option. But first try it somewhere on the frame where it is not visible to make sure it is not damaging the clearcoat. Problem is these days most nail polish removers are very low in acetone and might be useless. On the other hand getting pure acetone can be difficult. In any case do not try other solvents (such as paint or lacquer thinner) because you can easily melt the lacquer. The razor technique works, but only if you have experience, and it is especially hard on a round surface. You need to use thin tape around the superglue, or the outer thirds of the razor blade, then scrape as much as you can. Then use progressively finer sandpapers to blend everything in then finally buff.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

How about the stiff plastic like a credit card for scrapping? Some Goo Gone soaked awhile and then the card .. how I handle tough old decals. Couple experiences w super glue here makes me think it's vulnerable vs Goo Gone or similar agents.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

sussexhills

by sussexhills

Thanks all, I'll try Goo Gone as got some already then will raid the better half's makeup drawer if that doesn't work! I'll report back on what works for anyone interested in the future.

joec

by joec

normal warm soapy water should move it eventially,

and no i didnt find out because i accidently glued my hand to a desk... no honest!

colster

by colster

If all else fails get some of this stuff: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/adhesive-activators-primers-debonders/0473405/
Thats the proper way to do it

NickJHP

by NickJHP

573 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:11 pm
Acetone should remove the superglue. If you struggle to find any, it's used in lots of nail-varnish removers.
Acetone attacks epoxy - I've used it to remove unwanted epoxy powdercoat overspray in the past - so it won't do carbon fibre any favours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

joec wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 pm
and no i didnt find out because i accidently glued my hand to a desk... no honest!
Could have been worse, could have glued the bottom of your feet together, like my youngest sister did many, many years ago! :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"