Rim tape check

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

Hello,

Just a quick question on rim tape fit. My rims are the wide kind with 19mm inner diameter. I got this 16mm Velox tape on but I am not sure if it may be a bit small. Should I go 19mm? or would that be too wide and make it difficult for cotton beads to sit properly? It is covering the whole gutter and all the spoke holes (which are thankfully not offset) but I wonder if there is a risk the tape may lift or slide and allow the latex tube to access the spoke holes.

Image attached.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
rim tape.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

if it sufficiently covers all the spoke holes you should be fine.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

wpccrunner wrote:if it sufficiently covers all the spoke holes you should be fine.

Hi there. There would be about 2mm of tape beyond each side of the hole. Enough? I fear for trying to get a wider one in case it raises the bead enough for it not to sit properly.

kode54

by kode54

the tire bead should fit regardless of the tape...since it goes up and into the lip of the rim when inflated.

on a few wheels, i use the veloplugs, which weigh less overall and only covers the holes so the tube doesn't blow through them.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Marin

by Marin

I run 2 wraps of tubeless type tape, makes fitting tires much easier.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Marin wrote:I run 2 wraps of tubeless type tape, makes fitting tires much easier.

+1. I also use Veloplugs if the spoke hole is the correct diameter and shape for Veloplugs. Veloplugs is the best and lightest solution. Tubeless tape is good too but at twice the weight of Veloplugs. Some rims have a curved inner rim shape and Veloplugs won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Marin wrote:I run 2 wraps of tubeless type tape, makes fitting tires much easier.

+1. I also use Veloplugs if the spoke hole is the correct diameter and shape for Veloplugs. Veloplugs is the best and lightest solution. Tubeless tape is good too but at twice the weight of Veloplugs. Some rims have a curved inner rim shape and Veloplugs won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 run of 19mm blue Schwalbe tubeless rim tape is only 6 gr, so not a lot more than veloplugs. Ok, maybe the double of weight, but that's still only 3 gr :mrgreen: But you are right, veloplugs is a lot lighter than 90% of the rimstapes found on stock wheels. Roval rim tape was almost 25gr per wheel :shock:

Marin

by Marin

I'm actually only using 1 run, but seeing the tape deform into the nipple holes I'll use 2 in the future on non-weenie wheels ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com