Lil help w/ old SRAM (Red?) power meter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kidtreo

by Kidtreo

Hello!
Hope this is the right place to post this - I just bought a new used 2010 complete that includes an older but still capable SRAM Power meter inc cadence and heart monitor.

My trouble is I'm not 100% about the year and model and further just broke the Garmin 500 it came with.

I've been told there are "ANT' compatible adapters that facilitate iOS applications that allegedly eclipse the Garmins functionality but can't be sure about compatibility or app choices lol.

Any suggestions where I might get a little advice on how to unpack this?

Thanks in advance!

~Kidtreo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

around that time there were two sram branded power meters

one was srm, i've still got this one
one was quarq

this reviews the quarq one but the pictures also show the srm if you step through them (though the picture caption on the srm incorrectly states it has a sensor/transmitter beneath the bb, that's actually the cadence magnet, all sensors and the transmitter are inside the pm spider)...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/fir ... -crankset/

Kidtreo

by Kidtreo

Thank you kindly sungod...Here are pics of cranks and sensors. Looks like my system might be a bit more recent than the 1st original? Again, thanks...my hope is to ID which model I have so I can determine what iOS hardware / app options I have as Garmin 500 is rather dated at this point lol. Have a great day...

ImageImageImageImageImage

sungod wrote:around that time there were two sram branded power meters

one was srm, i've still got this one
one was quarq

this reviews the quarq one but the pictures also show the srm if you step through them (though the picture caption on the srm incorrectly states it has a sensor/transmitter beneath the bb, that's actually the cadence magnet, all sensors and the transmitter are inside the pm spider)...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/fir ... -crankset/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZR3

by AZR3

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

also, you have a garmin hrm1 heartrate strap, and on the non-driveside chainstay there is a garmin gsc10 speed and cadence sensor (there'll also be magnets attached to the crank and on a spoke to trigger the sensor)

these garmin bits are ant+ devices, not bluetooth, you'd need to add an ant+ adaptor to an iphone, but why bother...

the garmin 500 may be old, but as a bike computer it does what's necessary, compared to an iphone it's smaller, lighter, tougher and even after a few years probably still has better battery life, if you want to upload/analyse data, you can do it after a ride, it's worth checking the firmware is up to date

btw the stages will do cadence, and the garmin 500 can derive speed from gps, so you could probably tidy things up and remove the gsc10 and associated magnets

review here...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/12/gar ... eview.html