New (aero) cockpit for my C60

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I have a supperleggero stem/ supperleggero handlebar combo on my C60 and I am thinking about an aero cockpit (I read that it is the part that save the most watts after having aero wheels on the bike).

I am using Campa SR mechanical.

I was thinking about Deda SuperZero stem/ Deda SuperZero HB handlebar.

Which other combo would you recommend?

pritchet74

by pritchet74

For aero road bars the Enve ones are hard to beat. I have those with an Extralite stem on my Colnago EP. Love those bars.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I think there end up being several other considerations on this one; such as fit, shift quality, and just how "aero" you want. I prefer the feel and measurements of the Deda - but I don't think it's nearly as "aero" as bars like the Enve or Aeronova.

I ran the Enves for a bit and thought they looked awesome - but the extreme flair of the drops was weird and I never got on with the hump near the hoods. I also ran this with eTap and probably wouldn't consider these with mechanical.

Aeronova bars are also quite goofy shaped but they're the lightest of the options I'm aware of. They also have a SUPER long reach... and again, I'd expect some pretty serious degradation in shift quality if running mechanical.

Vukasprint/SL-70/S-Works have what I think is a pretty good shape and the cable routing isn't terrible.

Lastly, and one that's less frequently mentioned, is the Ritchey Streem II bar. I ran this for a bit after the Enve bar and it's definitely a lot more "normal" - which I appreciated it. Also plenty stiff and the more traditional curve is attractive.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I love the look of the aero bar that comes on the new Madone.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

kgt

by kgt

IMHO aero cockpit and Colnago C60 are not made for each other.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Imaking20 wrote:I think there end up being several other considerations on this one; such as fit, shift quality, and just how "aero" you want. I prefer the feel and measurements of the Deda - but I don't think it's nearly as "aero" as bars like the Enve or Aeronova.

I ran the Enves for a bit and thought they looked awesome - but the extreme flair of the drops was weird and I never got on with the hump near the hoods. I also ran this with eTap and probably wouldn't consider these with mechanical.

Aeronova bars are also quite goofy shaped but they're the lightest of the options I'm aware of. They also have a SUPER long reach... and again, I'd expect some pretty serious degradation in shift quality if running mechanical.

Shifting degradation not an issue with Aeronova, on any shifting system.
Run SR on my Oltre, had Red on my winter bike, and now thats swapped to 6800.

Enve's extreme flare might not be to your tastes. In that respect the 3T wins hands down, and i doubt there's little in it aerowise, its what you do with the cables on exit thats probably the difference.

And i actually agree with KGT heaven forbid!
Official cafe stop tester

sawyer

by sawyer

Imaking20 wrote:

Hi - I have 3T Aeronovas on mechanical SR and have had for a year or so. No perceptible change in shift quality vs Ritchey and Canyon bars used before. That doesn't mean on average it won't be a bit worse of course, but on my set-up at least, no change.

You're right they are a bit goofy ... the look and feel fast ... quite spaceship like ... and the long reach gives a very fast feeling place to rest the wrists and upper forearms in a solo effort off the front ...

But all round I'm not sure if they are better than the WCS Ritchey Streem IIs I have on another bike ... agree with you that is a really nice bar ... perhaps the 3T is faster but goofier ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rlanger

by rlanger

I have the SuperZero stem and bar combo and IMHO, it's a great compromise between full-aero like the Enve or 3T and standard bar.

So you likely won't get as much aero benefit as those other bars, but it won't look out of place on your C60, and it will be even more comfortable than either aero or standard.

Dewwww eeet.

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes I was thinking about that during my bike ride today.... a full aero is efficient but really doesn't match the C60....and on the other side a less aero bar that matches the C60 is not bringing much saving in watts??

It would be nice to see how many watts the Superzero are really saving...Does someone know?

TonyM

by TonyM

Just found the claimed aero advantage of a S-works Aerofly Carbon Handlebar: "17 seconds over a 40km distance versus a traditional shallow bend road bar. This time saving comes from the distinct aero shape, reduced tape on the tops, and full internal cable routing."

Not that much actually :shock:
I will most probably stick with ma superleegro/ superleggera combo on my C60.

kgt

by kgt

Don't believe whatever Specialized's marketing claims. Just MHO...

3Pio

by 3Pio

TonyM wrote:Just found the claimed aero advantage of a S-works Aerofly Carbon Handlebar: "17 seconds over a 40km distance versus a traditional shallow bend road bar. This time saving comes from the distinct aero shape, reduced tape on the tops, and full internal cable routing."

Not that much actually :shock:
I will most probably stick with ma superleegro/ superleggera combo on my C60.

That's the best u can do. And i believe that most of the Aero Hype is just marketing.

c60rider

by c60rider

I've got a superzero bar and stem combo on my Look and have to say in hindsight it doesn't suit it at all and I don't think it would look very good on my C60 which is why I went for the superleggeras. However the biggest problem I found with the superzero bars is not being able to get the levers high enough on the bars. They're very limited in range before the bars start to thicken so the only option is to tilt the bars up and I don't exactly have my levers very high on the bars either. So anyone buying the superzeros needs to consider this. It isn't apparent in any marketing literature that you can't get the levers as high as you can on the superleggeras. Saying that the thick aero tops are lovely to ride on.

3Pio

by 3Pio

c60rider wrote:I've got a superzero bar and stem combo on my Look and have to say in hindsight it doesn't suit it at all and I don't think it would look very good on my C60 which is why I went for the superleggeras. However the biggest problem I found with the superzero bars is not being able to get the levers high enough on the bars. They're very limited in range before the bars start to thicken so the only option is to tilt the bars up and I don't exactly have my levers very high on the bars either. So anyone buying the superzeros needs to consider this. It isn't apparent in any marketing literature that you can't get the levers as high as you can on the superleggeras. Saying that the thick aero tops are lovely to ride on.

I thought the same problem have Superleggera Handlebar, so that why i bought an Easton EC90 SLX3. How high u can go with the levers on Superleggera without having problem with cables, or positioning?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Not high enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com