campagnolo or shimano groupset....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

paul64 wrote:
weiwentg wrote:
angrylegs wrote:... And the Veloce cassette doesn't gouge an aluminum freehub body despite being a loose cog cassette. Clear advantage to Campy's freehub spline design (deeper splines)...

I also asked him about 6800 crankarms snapping, never seen it and never heard of it was the reply.

It is true. It happened to a 7900 DA I had.

Right down the middle of the axle the metal bent and twist and snapped at a nice 30+mph training sprint.
Got it warrantied but I looked around and other people had the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

paul64 wrote:
weiwentg wrote:
angrylegs wrote:... And the Veloce cassette doesn't gouge an aluminum freehub body despite being a loose cog cassette. Clear advantage to Campy's freehub spline design (deeper splines)...

I also asked him about 6800 crankarms snapping, never seen it and never heard of it was the reply.

It is true. It happened to a 7900 DA I had.

Right down the middle of the axle the metal bent and twist and snapped at a nice 30+mph training sprint.
Got it warrantied but I looked around and other people had the same problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

paul64 wrote:I also asked him about 6800 crankarms snapping, never seen it and never heard of it was the reply.

We have had three people in my area (southeastern Virginia, USA) with broken crankarms. Split down the seam.

kgt

by kgt

Another component that is better in the case of Campagnolo is its Super Record crankset. Its cult bearings make it rotate so smoothly that I doubt DA comes even close. Both SR and DA are similar in terms of stiffness if I remember well.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

kgt wrote:Another component that is better in the case of Campagnolo is its Super Record crankset. Its cult bearings make it rotate so smoothly that I doubt DA comes even close. Both SR and DA are similar in terms of stiffness if I remember well.

Which actually is not that important. The last DA should be even stiffer as they have improved the effective moment of inertia by enlarging the height above what usually is the neutral axis and keeping the distance to the lower panel to avoid instability (buckling) phenomena in the compressed area of the crank arm.

Again, so much fuss, 0 gains.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Super Record is the best because it's called "super." Case closed.

Oh and it looks way cooler than Steve Ray and the other stupid names that make up SRAM. DA91XX is cool because of the "tron" factor but forget about Ultegra, every time I see it I'm like "really? DA isn't that expensive"

sawyer

by sawyer

Wookski wrote: but forget about Ultegra, every time I see it I'm like "really? DA isn't that expensive"

Yes, I kind of agree. Why is that? Why is Record or even Chorus so much more appealing on a bike than Ultegra?

Ultegra is a bit porky but is functionally very good.

It might suffer from association and the fact it's everywhere ... by association I mean the fact it's relatively cheap and therefore features on a lot of mid range 8.5kg ish bikes that are downright depressing for us WWs when you see them lined up in a high street shop (e.g. Evans/CycleSurgery here in the UK).

My impression is by contrast anyone - in the far smaller population - with Record or Chorus is more likely to have a top-end frame, and other well chosen parts, wheels etc
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

robertbb

by robertbb

stormur wrote:I just can't see any real life advantages of Super Record. This groupset just doesn't exist for me... No benefit from another 500bucks over Record.

And record offers no benefit over chorus, for yet another $500.

robertbb

by robertbb

Campagnolo:
- Better hood ergonomics (mechanical)
- Differential braking (single pivot rear, dual pivot front)
- Stiffer cranks
- Better wheels hands down (triplet, excellent hubs)
- Way better looking

Don't waste money on Record or Super Record. Chorus is only marginally heavier than them, and should actually last longer... internals are made of better wearing parts as are the consumables (cassette, chain).

I have two full Chorus 2016 groupsets on two bikes, three campy wheelsets (Zonda C17, Shamal Ultra C17 and Shamal Ultra 2017)... totally invested, and wouldn't switch for love nor money. I recently bought two new bikes from Canyon knowing full well Ultegra and the wheels would be coming straight off and going on eBay...

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Which church do you belong to? SRAM, Campagnolo, Shimano -- they're all great. It really depends on which religion you subscribe to.

Boshk

by Boshk

stupid question....I got a XR3 with the new ultegra set, changed the Racing 7 to Zonda wheels.
The bike is still new, pedals aren't even installed and I'm having second thought about changing it to Chorus set.

The LBS I got the bike from is unwilling to change the Zonda shimano hub wheels for the Zonda Camp hub wheels even if I buy the whole Chorus set from them, he said, just change the hub.

Is there any difference between them besides the hub? straight forward swap for around US70?

fogman

by fogman

The rear freehub is the only difference.

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

paul64

by paul64

So amidst inevitable comparison on features and styling who can comment knowledgeably on the point about freehub gouging and bearings?

Miller

by Miller

Well, on that last point... the Shimano freehub design comes from long ago when freehub carriers were made of steel (like, duh). This was a time before the marketing push for ever lighter weight. That freehub is fine if fabricated in steel, not so great if fabbed in alloy. I recall some iteration of D-A moving to a deeper spline pattern but Shimano had to back off on that because people whined about incompatibility issues.

Campag either by luck or judgement made an early design decision for deeper splines that have more material to resist sprocket gouging.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Boshk wrote:stupid question....I got a XR3 with the new ultegra set, changed the Racing 7 to Zonda wheels.
The bike is still new, pedals aren't even installed and I'm having second thought about changing it to Chorus set.

The LBS I got the bike from is unwilling to change the Zonda shimano hub wheels for the Zonda Camp hub wheels even if I buy the whole Chorus set from them, he said, just change the hub.

Is there any difference between them besides the hub? straight forward swap for around US70?

No point in swapping

chorus will just shift as well with 11s ultegra cassette-chain as with 11s campag.

stick with shimano freehub body.

Will have greater access to cassette ranges, and will be easier to resell the wheels later.