Canyon prices and models released in the US.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hypercycler

by hypercycler

Price isn't that attractive to be honest. I remember couple years ago I got my Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 for roughly $4600 shipped to Hong Kong and I had a friend to bring it back to the U.S. With Canyon's US price, it's appx $6k with tax before shipping charge.

At that time, Canyon changed the stem / handlebar combo for me with a different size, free of charge. However when I ordered my Ultimate CF SLX a half year ago they didn't want to do it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

RussellS wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:It makes zero sense for Canyon to perform assembly in the US. They won't ship enough bikes for the air freight prices to overcome the additional manpower cost. They are simply shipping complete bikes to a small California-based factory/office and then shipping them again from there.

Air freight? I would guess if Canyon has a desire to go bankrupt as quick as possible, they would use air freight. Otherwise, they will use container ships from China to the USA or Germany. And trucks within the USA. And trucks within Europe. No airplanes ever. Airplanes equal expensive.

As for whether Canyon will ship from China to California or Germany. It might not make much difference in distance. Beijing China (I know the bikes won't be made in Beijing, but its a common China city) to Los Angeles California is 10,000 kilometers. Beijing to Hamburg Germany is 7500 kilometers. Los Angeles to New York City is 4000 kilometers. So if Canyon is selling bikes to the entire eastern seaboard of the USA, its closer to bring the bikes from Beijing to Germany to USA. I figure Chicago is about the middle distance wise. Same distance to Chicago from Beijing whether you go to LA first or Germany first. For more than half the USA population, its closer to Beijing through Germany than going across the Pacific Ocean.

Nope-going ocean freight, Shanghai to Los Angeles is 15-16 days, while Shanghai to Hamburg/Bremerhaven is 32-35 days.

From Los Angeles, figure 5-7 days by rail to Chicago, and 10-14 days to the US East Coast.

Ocean freight forwarding happens to be my day job.

53x12

by 53x12

TobinHatesYou wrote:It makes zero sense for Canyon to perform assembly in the US. They won't ship enough bikes for the air freight prices to overcome the additional manpower cost. They are simply shipping complete bikes to a small California-based factory/office and then shipping them again from there.

I read that Richard Wheeler (formerly at Trek and Specialized) was hired by Canyon USA to oversee quality control and assembly operations. Maybe most of assembly will take place in Taiwan and final assembly take place in Southern CA in their new facility. Canyon USA also hired 4 bike mechanics just a few months ago.

It would make zero sense to ship from Taiwan to Germany, and then Germany to California. I don't see why Canyon wouldn't have enough interest that they could load a shipping container with a mix of road + MTB + Speedmax for the tri community for the USA market. Much cheaper doing that and having it shipped to their Southern CA warehouse. Air freight is not a smart way to do business for this kind of widget.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Js2 wrote:Happy to see the 4999$ with nice wheels and dura ace 9100 mechanical.

Not happy with the color of the frame available for that combo. Wanted a Jet Silver frame instead, bummer...
Mechanical Frameset is not available yet too... :roll:

The real problem is that, that same bike is a little over $3800 USD when you change the country to Mexico. What the hell?

efuentes

by efuentes

But the couple of friends that got the bikes shipped to Mexico almost had a heart attack when they saw the importation duties.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

efuentes wrote:But the couple of friends that got the bikes shipped to Mexico almost had a heart attack when they saw the importation duties.

Yup! Its like 16-17%. I know cause I ordered two Canyon Ultimate's with E-Tap last year only to cancel once I found out about the VAT tax in Mexico. A bit disappointed to see such a limited range of bikes on the website. I'm sure it will expand within a year and give up an opportunity for more options.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

fuel2000

by fuel2000

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:
Vermu wrote:Cant do that in mainland either. Can be changed without extra fee, just need to sort it out with customer service

I guess I just find it disappointing that something as necessary as bar/stem/crank customization cannot be worked in to the user interface to configure before adding to cart? If Canyon really wants to make this a seamless online process this would be very helpful, or at least have some information about how to go about swapping components (ie. calling customer service). I looked around on the site and there is nothing in the FAQ or anywhere else that talks about how to customize components.

AFAIK, it can be changed but it is not free.
This is part of their business model that enables them to keep the prices as low as they are. That's why you won't find a customization option in the webshop.

The only thing I had to pay for on a handlebar swap was return postage, which was around £5. I rode the original bars for a month before I swapped as well.

This was a few months ago.

53x12

by 53x12

The Exceed CF SL seems like a solid buy for the price.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sawyer

by sawyer

RussellS wrote:

Air freight? I would guess if Canyon has a desire to go bankrupt as quick as possible, they would use air freight. Otherwise, they will use container ships from China to the USA or Germany. And trucks within the USA. And trucks within Europe. No airplanes ever. Airplanes equal expensive.

As for whether Canyon will ship from China to California or Germany. It might not make much difference in distance. Beijing China (I know the bikes won't be made in Beijing, but its a common China city) to Los Angeles California is 10,000 kilometers. Beijing to Hamburg Germany is 7500 kilometers. Los Angeles to New York City is 4000 kilometers. So if Canyon is selling bikes to the entire eastern seaboard of the USA, its closer to bring the bikes from Beijing to Germany to USA. I figure Chicago is about the middle distance wise. Same distance to Chicago from Beijing whether you go to LA first or Germany first. For more than half the USA population, its closer to Beijing through Germany than going across the Pacific Ocean.

Yes, there is also quality control in Koblenz that would need to be replicated were they to go direct from China

Here in the UK there is a Canyon service centre which IME is very helpful - and although they don't advertise it, may provide help with things like bar/stem changes etc.

But without that I suspect it will prove harder to take anything other than as it comes
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

StrapOn

by StrapOn

Canyon, close for a week end of September to stock take and reboot website wouldn't be surprised if you see more models added then

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

This seems like its obviously a soft launch considering there hasn't been an e-mail or social media announcements.

Either way, their price points no longer seem to have an advantage. Seems like the other bike vendors have caught up in that department.

53x12

by 53x12

jimmerjohn123 wrote:This seems like its obviously a soft launch considering there hasn't been an e-mail or social media announcements.

Plenty of announcements in the cycling world.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/08/news/ca ... u-s_446098

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/articl ... ess-50608/

https://cyclingindustry.news/canyon-sal ... n-the-usa/

hidefguy

by hidefguy

I talked to customer service yesterday inquiring about purchasing just a frame, he told me that I probably wouldn't be able to do that until Nov-Jan? He also said that if I ordered a full bike that it would be at my door in 2 days. fyi for those in San Diego they are opening up a sales office in Carlsbad and possibly a showroom. He also mentioned they opened up their stores online on the 15th and was more of a soft opening to see what kind of traffic they would get and haven't officially done a press release etc...

aih312

by aih312

West German company with the inventory of an East German state owned company.

hahah..that cracked me up,my wife is West German the stories/complaints of East GER are endless

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

aih312 wrote:West German company with the inventory of an East German state owned company.

hahah..that cracked me up,my wife is West German the stories/complaints of East GER are endless

My wife is also from West Germany-we loved watching Deutschland 83 and The Same Sky for some good two Germanies nostalgia.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com