Canyon prices and models released in the US.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

mpulsiv wrote:That's what I said! Not only it's expensive but you don't support your LBS by dealing with direct sales from Canyon.

I agree I think it is too expensive for what it is offering (limited selection, no option to customize...)

Nonetheless, I believe Canyon is doing the same thing as Lightweight, Sidi, and others are doing; have a regional exclusive distributor. The distributors jack up the prices for the US. That simple, Proof? Compare the prices from Eur online retailers (even after paying import taxes.)

At these price points, i'd much rather buy another bike band from th LBS...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

When was the last ultimate released and the one before that?

I'm trying to gauge when the next one might come and and hopefully with direct mount brakes

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

hanakuso1 wrote:When was the last ultimate released and the one before that?

I'm trying to gauge when the next one might come and and hopefully with direct mount brakes

The current rim brake Ultimate was released 2016, the previous version 2012.

The new Aeroad arrived the year before 2015, the very first one 2011 I believe.

Not sure why you'd expect the next Ultimate to have direct mount brakes. If Canyon saw any benefit to putting direct mount brakes on the Ultimate, I am sure they would've done it already considering the Aeroad has them.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

MayhemSWE wrote:
hanakuso1 wrote:When was the last ultimate released and the one before that?

The current rim brake Ultimate was released 2016, the previous version 2012.

The new Aeroad arrived the year before 2015, the very first one 2011 I believe.

Not sure why you'd expect the next Ultimate to have direct mount brakes. If Canyon saw any benefit to putting direct mount brakes on the Ultimate, I am sure they would've done it already considering the Aeroad has them.

I wasn't aware the Aeroad came out before the Ultimate. I was hoping they were going in the Direct mount direction with newer bikes.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

Just judging by peoples post on Instagram, it looks like people are getting there orders fulfilled. Even the CEO of Instagram has one already. Then again i'm guessing some of them are well connected.

check6

by check6

mpulsiv wrote:
check6 wrote:One thing I notice is the legacy brands here in the USA always come with mixed group-sets. At over $10,000 for a Tarmac SL, I don't want their cranks/chainset or Roval wheels. At least Canyon seems to have and advantage in this regard. Even the Giant TCR disc SRAM Etap comes with crappy proprietary wheels.

What crappy proprietary wheels are you talking about? http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-ad ... -etap-2018

Those wheels you have in the picture are made by Giant. While I'm sure they are fine, for less money on the Canyon I'd take the Mavics or DT Swiss...but thats just my preference.

TonyM

by TonyM

+1

I would also prefer to have the choice of wheels from Mavic, DT Swiss, Zipp, Fulcrum, etc...rather than from the bike manufacturer (maybe except for the Roval which used to be a very good company; much like Corima years ago)

2lo8

by 2lo8

I guess they think it's easier to drop prices than raise prices. I wouldn't buy at that price.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TonyM wrote:+1

I would also prefer to have the choice of wheels from Mavic, DT Swiss, Zipp, Fulcrum, etc...rather than from the bike manufacturer (maybe except for the Roval which used to be a very good company; much like Corima years ago)

Last time I checked, Giant wheels perform pretty damn close to Zipp 404. In contrast Fuji stock wheels performed poorly.

Just saying...

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So here's a dumb question. Can you customize the cassette and chainring sizes on a Canyon? What do people do when they buy a bike and half of the components are not what they wanted? Do they just sell them on eBay and take the loss?

I haven't bought a full bike in a long while. I usually buy a frameset and build up the bike to the specs. that I like. I like Canyon bikes but not their standard component configurations.

bilwit

by bilwit

pdlpsher1 wrote:What do people do when they buy a bike and half of the components are not what they wanted? Do they just sell them on eBay and take the loss?

I haven't bought a full bike in a long while. I usually buy a frameset and build up the bike to the specs. that I like. I like Canyon bikes but not their standard component configurations.

Yes, but usually getting the whole bike build is a better "deal" -- cheaper than buying the frameset and the same parts separately. I went through this dilemma just recently. You'll notice that in most instances frameset MSRPs are quite high compared to the full-bike build with this regard ie. an Orbea Orca Aero sold at the lowest quality build (105) is ~$3300 yet the frameset sold by itself is $3000. The wheelset being included in that build sell for around $300 by themselves, so it's a better deal to just get the whole build and then bin/sell the rest. You would be comparatively "eating the cost" for an unreasonably high upcharge if you just buy the frameset itself.

On the other hand, other manufacturers will only sell the bike with a full spec, so in order to get the frame you want, you are forced to buy the whole bike and then bin/sell the rest. This is a problem at the high end if the manufacture isn't offering a build with cheap components like 105 because the $300 difference in that example is more like $3000+. In my case, the BMC SLR01 in white was only sold full build with eTap.. I already have parts I want to put on it and a several thousand dollar swing puts it out of my price range. I was lucky enough to find a dealer who would take off the build and just sell me the frameset as the same MSRP as the other frameset-exclusive SLR01s.

In a perfect world, manufacturers would only sell framesets to resellers which then spec the bike out for the end-user, but everyone involved wouldn't get whatever sale margin/partner discount/rebate/etc that makes it profitable for them to sell everything as they currently do.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bilwit wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:What do people do when they buy a bike and half of the components are not what they wanted? Do they just sell them on eBay and take the loss?

Yes, but usually getting the whole bike build is a better "deal" -- cheaper than buying the frameset and the same parts separately. You'll notice that in most instances frameset MSRPs are quite high compared to the full-bike build with this regard ie. an Orbea Orca Aero sold at the lowest quality build (105) is ~$3300 yet the frame sold by itself is $3000. The wheelset being included in that build sell for around $300 by themselves, so it's a better deal to just get the whole build and then bin/sell the rest. You would be comparatively "eating the cost" for an unreasonably high upcharge if you just buy the frameset itself.

I'm not sure if your comparison is valid. I'm not sure on the Orbea but most framesets use the highest grade carbon and hence are lighter. Lowest priced full bikes use a lower grade of carbon on the frames. So you really can't compare a $3000 frameset to a $3300 full bike with 105 build if the frame/fork are actually different. When you look at the higher-end full bikes built with Shimano 9150 Di2 the MSRP doesn't see to justify the upgraded components. If one is wishing for 9150 Di2 it seems far cheaper to buy a frameset.

bilwit

by bilwit

pdlpsher1 wrote:
bilwit wrote:

Yes, but usually getting the whole bike build is a better "deal" -- cheaper than buying the frameset and the same parts separately. You'll notice that in most instances frameset MSRPs are quite high compared to the full-bike build with this regard ie. an Orbea Orca Aero sold at the lowest quality build (105) is ~$3300 yet the frame sold by itself is $3000. The wheelset being included in that build sell for around $300 by themselves, so it's a better deal to just get the whole build and then bin/sell the rest. You would be comparatively "eating the cost" for an unreasonably high upcharge if you just buy the frameset itself.

I'm not sure if your comparison is valid. I'm not sure on the Orbea but most framesets use the highest grade carbon and hence are lighter. Lowest priced full bikes use a lower grade of carbon on the frames. So you really can't compare a $3000 frameset to a $3300 full bike with 105 build if the frame/fork are actually different. When you look at the higher-end full bikes built with Shimano 9150 Di2 the MSRP doesn't see to justify the upgraded components. If one is wishing for 9150 Di2 it seems far cheaper to buy a frameset.

Yes, that is what the next paragraph addresses (I might have added it after you quoted). The same logic applies though, part-for-part, it is cheaper to buy the full build compared to each part individually, including the frameset. Of course, you may not need/want 90% of what's included (like in my situation), but comparatively, the frameset alone is charged at a higher price relative to what you pay for it in the full bike build. This obviously does not scale well when limited by the manufacturer-provided builds at the very high end, but still worth considering when mentioning "eating the cost" as the OP in that quote put it. You would be "eating the cost" of an upcharged frameset when buying it alone.

You are probably right about the new Orbea being unique in offering the same high end frame with cheap components. Like I said, it probably works out to be more profitable at the sales backend to sell high-end, full-build exclusive bikes which is why this is done this way more often than not. If you're looking for the whole build then it's a win for the consumer and everyone involved, if not, then it's a loss any way you put it with varying degree of significance.

check6

by check6

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Bilwit,

Yes, it may be cheaper for buy the full build, but only if the components meet one's needs. If I have to part the components out on eBay and pay commission and depreciation, it might not make financial sense to buy a full bike.

More and more companies are now offering custom build programs. I've never used one but things like cassette ratios, handlebar width, and saddle are things I care a lot about. If I buy a new bike and I'm not comfortable on the saddle or handlebar, I will have a miserable experience no matter how much money I saved. It doesn't seem like Canyon has such a program. Maybe I'm just very different from everyone else. That's why I asked the question earlier about what do people do when they don't like the components the bike came with...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com