Decisions... good Aluminium (Canyon / Bowman) vs Cheap carbon (PX RT80)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pfnsht

by pfnsht

Hi,

Beginning to get lost in the wood for the trees on this decision now. I have a planet x RT-80 in 54cm. It's too small and i'm struggling on getting comfy of on it even after extending the stem (low stack) without putting loads of spacers under the stem.

My bike fitter suggested getting the next size up next time around.

I'm now in a dilemma whether to just buy a replacement RT-80 56cm frame (but in a different colour so it's at least a change) or look to an aluminum frame - two that geo works out nicely for me are the Canyon AL SLX & Bowman Palace R.

Price wise there's only a few hundred in it and the alloy frames are top of my budget.

The bike will be main road bike that is used for sportives, maybe giving racing a bash, cycling abroad in the alps etc.

I guess it's the ago old cheap carbon v decent aluminum frame - I can't quite get my head around changing a carbon frame for an aluminium - sounds like a backward step. But on the other hand i like the look of the alloy frames I've mentioned.

My other bike is a Canyon Inflite - used for commuting, day to day and exploring the trails etc.

I ride 160 - 250 miles a week, 130 commuting and the rest play (on the bike this post is giving me grief on).

Meh. What do you guys think - it's giving me a headache!
Last edited by pfnsht on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

I've just built up an RT-80 (Hongfu/Deng-Fu FM066) - for the money the frameset is very hard to beat IMO. Same geometry as an SS Evo and almost handles as well. It helps if it fits of course....

pfnsht

by pfnsht

Thanks Svetty. I'm pretty sure the RT-80 in a 56 will fit me (tried an SS Evo as i knew they were similar during the bike fit).

Something I do like about my existing RT-80 (54cm) is how solid the back end and BB area feel when putting power through. I also like the "carbon frame noise" if there is such a thing!

pfnsht

by pfnsht

Something to add to the mix - my mind is being swayed slightly as my good cycling friend is a Canyon addict and it might be clouding my judgement on PX RT-80 vs the AL SLX!

Svetty

by Svetty

For £400 you can't go wrong with a PX - esp as you already have the headset, seat-post clamp etc you can swap from your old frame. I have the red white and black one and it looks a treat :)

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

get more flexible

pfnsht

by pfnsht

waltthizzney wrote:get more flexible

Funny you should say that - I started a stretching / core program a few months ago and whilst it is beginning to work I still think the stack is too short on the medium frame. I currently have an 11 cm saddle to bar drop on my commuter which I find comfortable by on the RT80 I need to run 5/6 cm of spacers to achieve the same drop (which looks ugly imo).

I don't think I'll ever get flexible enough to go much further than 11-12cm to be honest.

pfnsht

by pfnsht

Svetty wrote:For £400 you can't go wrong with a PX - esp as you already have the headset, seat-post clamp etc you can swap from your old frame. I have the red white and black one and it looks a treat :)

You may well be right! My 54cm was the white version (pink in some lights - much to the ridicule of friends!). If going for again I'm going stealth - Matt grey/black.

Black/Red/White is my second fav though ;)

sib

by sib

pfnsht wrote:I currently have an 11 cm saddle to bar drop on my commuter which I find comfortable by on the RT80 I need to run 5/6 cm of spacers to achieve the same drop (which looks ugly imo).

Won't you still need 4cm of spacers if you get the next size up?
Maybe look at a frame with a taller headtube..?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

^the stack increase from a 54 to 56 is only ~15mm is so you'll still need to run 35/45mm of spacers. You'll need to a 58-60 to get the extra stack height you're looking for. Fortunately for you the reach between the 56-58 sizes doesn't change much, so if you fit the reach of a 56 you may as well try the 58 if a higher stack height is what you're after.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com