One Bike to Rule/Replace Them All...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

Raws are a thinner metal material. Buddyflaps are thick rubber ones.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

After a lot of research and much use of this stem and reach calculator (viewtopic.php?t=94384), I've come up with the following short list:

Cannondale Synapse 2018
+potential for lightweight eTap build (maybe below 7.0kg)
+room for 28mm tyres, even with proper mudguards fitted
+ more "comfortable" frame features/geometry
- reach is actually 6mm more than my current Supersix 2015 with a 100mm stem (will I notice the difference?)
- it's going to cost full RRP (£6.5k for eTap build), at least until next Autumn's inevitable sales
- not available until late October in the UK

Focus Izalco Max Disc eTap 2017
+ 6.8kg for the eTap build, easily potential for sub-6.5kg
+ much "racier" than the other options
+ almost the same stack and reach as my current Supersix
+ room for 28mm tyres
+ currently "only" £4k in the 2017 sales
- can't fit proper mudguards
- have to use 10mm headcap and 20mm spacers to get the correct fit
- not the most exciting bike to look at

Cervelo C3
+room for 28mm tyres, even with proper mudguards fitted
+ more "comfortable" frame features/geometry
+ frameset is currently on sale for £1200
- I can't find out the correct fork length (390mm?), which is not helping with choosing the frame size
- probably have to choose a 51cm frame with a 120mm stem/no spacers to get the correct fit (if the fork length is 390mm)
- not too sure about the final build weight with eTap, could be 7.5kg?
- marmite looks

Canyon Endurace Disc
+ 7.2kg for the eTap build (£5k in the sale)
+ more "comfortable" frame features
+ room for 28mm tyres
+ reach is 4mm shorter than my current Supersix, which might help accommodate the bigger brake hoods?
- apparently have to buy stock small bike, send the integrated bars back to Germany, then swap them for the right length/width!

Custom Titanium Disc
+can specify correct fit, mudguard mounts, tyre clearance etc
+more "comfortable" ride feel
BUT
- weight will be at least 8Kg - too heavy for a "one bike fits all"?

ATM, I'm kind of leaning towards the Focus Izalco Max Disc - it's the closest bike to my Supersix in terms of ride feel/geometry, offers enough tyre clearance for all-year use, has the potential for the lightest build out of all the options, and is the cheapest too. I think I could compromise on the mudguards, spacer stack an dull looks in return...maybe!

Or I might go with plan B, which is upgrade my current Supersix to eTap and buy a cheaper, heavier companion bike for winter...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willmac

by willmac

Supersix for summer and caad12 disc for winter. Identical geometry, both fun to ride and the caad12 now has the flat mount supersix fork on the ultegra model. Mudguards will fit with 28's but you'll have to hack the mounts. P-clips on the back and cable ties on the fork.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

markgoldstein wrote:After a lot of research and much use of this stem and reach calculator (viewtopic.php?t=94384), I've come up with the following short

Canyon Endurace Disc
+ 7.2kg for the eTap build (£5k in the sale)
+ more "comfortable" frame features
+ room for 28mm tyres
+ reach is 4mm shorter than my current Supersix, which might help accommodate the bigger brake hoods?
- apparently have to buy stock small bike, send the integrated bars back to Germany, then swap them for the right length/width!

I'm also considering a Canyon Endurace as a winter bike and have been inspired by the article http://www.redvelo.co.uk/Canyon-Endurac ... ards.shtml whose done a great job of fitting proper mudguards to his Endurace. Just thought you should know as this makes the Canyon Endurace a completing option. I've got a Canyon Ultimate Slx as my best bike and it's a brilliant bike.

TonyM

by TonyM

BMC Roadmachine02 disc.
Has also hidden mounts for fenders/ mudguards!

CBJ

by CBJ

There is really no substitute for full fenders. I have just moved to Denmark and as much as I am not crazy about the look it sure makes my rides more comfortable and keeps the bike cleaner too. My GT Grade - I don't think its as light as you want

MAsshole

by MAsshole

TonyM wrote:BMC Roadmachine02 disc.

I have one but it is definitely not a weightweenie in stock form :lol:

sawyer

by sawyer

With pedals that Canyon will be at 7.5kg ... IMO too heavy for a do-it-all bike
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

MAsshole wrote:
TonyM wrote:BMC Roadmachine02 disc.

I have one but it is definitely not a weightweenie in stock form :lol:

How much does yours weigh? Which group do you have and which size?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My contribution to this:

If you ride in groups on wet roads than there is no point in buying any bike that does not have proper threaded fender mounts at all dropouts, rear brake bridge (yes, even on a disc bike), bottom bracket, and fork crown. Every zip tie, p clamp, etc, fender set up is nothing but a PITA bodge. Particularly if you have one bike and will be installing and removing fenders regularly. It must be full fenders with extension flaps close to the ground or train by yourself. (Exhibit A: the rear fender set up on that nice looking GT Grade above won't do anything for anyone behind - totally inadequate for group riding.)

The company that has done the best job at this for years has been Trek. Domane as mentioned by others would be my leading candidate. The rim brake version can take 25 mm with full fenders, the disc I assume would take much bigger tires. The SLR version is light enough. My only complaint is the geometry. To get the desired drop many will need to size down and go with a long stem - not a bad thing on long wheel base, slow handling bike.

Bizarrely, the new Trek Crockett which looks pretty good does not have fender mounts :noidea: (Boone still does though).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TonyM

by TonyM

Mr.Gib wrote:My contribution to this:

If you ride in groups on wet roads than there is no point in buying any bike that does not have proper threaded fender mounts at all dropouts, rear brake bridge (yes, even on a disc bike), bottom bracket, and fork crown. Every zip tie, p clamp, etc, fender set up is nothing but a PITA bodge. Particularly if you have one bike and will be installing and removing fenders regularly. It must be full fenders with extension flaps close to the ground or train by yourself. (Exhibit A: the rear fender set up on that nice looking GT Grade above won't do anything for anyone behind - totally inadequate for group riding.)

The company that has done the best job at this for years has been Trek. Domane as mentioned by others would be my leading candidate. The rim brake version can take 25 mm with full fenders, the disc I assume would take much bigger tires. The SLR version is light enough. My only complaint is the geometry. To get the desired drop many will need to size down and go with a long stem - not a bad thing on long wheel base, slow handling bike.

Bizarrely, the new Trek Crockett which looks pretty good does not have fender mounts :noidea: (Boone still does though).

Totally agree with the need of fenders/ mudguard!

The Trek Domane is indeed often mentioned, but to me here the disadvantages:
- the geometry is pretty much relaxed. You need a very very long stem to get a good reach like in a race bike but then the handling will be pretty much different.
- I don't need and don't want the rear IsoSpeed decoupler (our roads are not the best but far away from cobblestone)
- Same applies for the front IsoSpeed decoupler

Multebear

by Multebear

^^ +1

Even though the GT Grade is good looking and the fenders are well mounted, the rear one needs to be closer to the ground

Multebear

by Multebear

BTW in order to fulfill the OP's checklist, the bike needs to be able to enter the occasional race IMO. That rules out disc brakes at the moment. But then again not everyone wants to do races.

TonyM

by TonyM

Multebear wrote:BTW in order to fulfill the OP's checklist, the bike needs to be able to enter the occasional race IMO. That rules out disc brakes at the moment. But then again not everyone wants to do races.

It seems that disc brakes should be allowed in 2018....Therefore also the disc brake version of almost all top race bikes from the manufacturers suddenly..
let's see...

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Easy. Trek Emonda SLR. You are going to regret if you go too comfort for one bike. You are going to suffer on fast rides and group rides. With the Emonda's H2 geometry it's an aggressive comfort geometry just like you described. It's very light and compliant and can fit 28's I'm pretty sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com