One Bike to Rule/Replace Them All...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MAsshole

by MAsshole

TonyM wrote:
MAsshole wrote:
TonyM wrote:BMC Roadmachine02 disc.
Has also hidden mounts for fenders/ mudguards!

I have one but it is definitely not a weightweenie in stock form :lol:

How much does yours weigh? Which group do you have and which size?

Never had it officially weighed, but I'd put it north of 18lbs.

I have the yellow Ultegra Di2 version in a 56 w/ all stock parts save my FSA stem that I swapped out the stock one for at my LBs (110mm), Zipp Course SL-70 handlebar (40cm), and Specialized Romin Expert, which I guess is the One with the current year models.

It's definitely easy to lose weight from the wheels (close to 1800 grams), handlebar, stem, and saddle, but it'll never be a true weightweenie.

I could probably get it down quite a bit if I swapped out for some lighter wheels, went with the Ritchey cockpit I have on my Scott Addict (Superlogic Logic II 40cm and WCS C220 110mm), and decided to save grams by cutting the seat post more, slamming my stem, going for a lighter rear cassette, going to a Romin Pro, and swapped out through-axles but most of that, save the wheels, is too costly for the small return.

It'd probably be easier to just purchase the RM01 at that point but I was cost-constrained when I purchased the 02 and it also doesn't have the fender mounts as OP wants.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks!

I am currently checking with my LBS for a BMC Roadmachine02 (with the fender/ mudguard mounts) with Dura Ace Di2 and a nice wheelset also. Not sure how much it would weight indeed ....

MAsshole

by MAsshole

TonyM wrote:Thanks!

I am currently checking with my LBS for a BMC Roadmachine02 (with the fender/ mudguard mounts) with Dura Ace Di2 and a nice wheelset also. Not sure how much it would weight indeed ....

No problem! Sorry I couldn't be more help with real life numbers vs. manufacturers numbers, but I do think it's possible to get a reasonable weight if money isn't an issue. I'm sure going Dura-Ace and some light wheels (something like a Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon or something similar) will bring you down substantially, then factor in a lighter saddle and cockpit you could reach close to 7.5-8kgs with relative ease (obviously sans fender attached)

TonyM

by TonyM

MAsshole wrote:

No problem! Sorry I couldn't be more help with real life numbers vs. manufacturers numbers, but I do think it's possible to get a reasonable weight if money isn't an issue. I'm sure going Dura-Ace and some light wheels (something like a Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon or something similar) will bring you down substantially, then factor in a lighter saddle and cockpit you could reach close to 7.5-8kgs with relative ease (obviously sans fender attached)

Yes that's the route...7.2-7.5kg would be good...Let's see how much $ my LBS is quoting me now....

MAsshole

by MAsshole

TonyM wrote:
MAsshole wrote:

Yes that's the route...7.2-7.5kg would be good...Let's see how much $ my LBS is quoting me now....

That's always the issue. I feel your pain there. Let me know how it turns out if you go that route!

I'd love to be able to make mine lighter. It'll never be like my Addict but getting down to low 7kgs would be ideal.

TonyM

by TonyM

MAsshole wrote:
TonyM wrote:
MAsshole wrote:

That's always the issue. I feel your pain there. Let me know how it turns out if you go that route!

I'd love to be able to make mine lighter. It'll never be like my Addict but getting down to low 7kgs would be ideal.

I will! I am waiting for the answer of my LBS now.
In terms of wheelset (clincher), there are already a few nice choices with the Enve 3.4 disc (1420g), Fulcrum Speed 55C (1470g), Magic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST Disc (1570g) the Fulcrum Racing Quattro DB (1605g) or the Shimano C60 (1690g).

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Still dont understand why so many manufacturers refuse to put decent fender mounting on their bikes.
Using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

^It's bad for business. They want you to buy n+1 bikes.

TonyM

by TonyM

Nefarious86 wrote:Still dont understand why so many manufacturers refuse to put decent fender mounting on their bikes.

Same for me! There is definitely a market for that type of bikes!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Multebear wrote:^It's bad for business. They want you to buy n+1 bikes.
No mounts on a CX/endurance/gravel market bike is fail
Using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

Totally agree. FYI several of the chinese open mould frames have them. Flyxii FR-601 and 602 - chinese cx bike is one example.

I recently found that the Dolan Dual road frame is one of very few carbon road frames, that have them as well.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Focus Paralane:
IIRC, 900 grams for a 56CM frame.
Tire clearance up to 35MM
Quick connecting fenders (included)

Though not super light, a great compromise for a one bike quiver...

Yuck to those shifters.