Supersix Evo vs CAAD12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thenuge

by Thenuge

inchul wrote:I would recommend the Supersix evo 105.
This choice will be good for future upgrades.

I'm getting a 2018 Supersix in green. It's rad. I'll put a SAVE carbon seatpost on it with a Fizik Antares. And probably a stages PM on a Hollowgram SI crank so I'll need to find a matching one for the right side.

Multebear

by Multebear

520 Dan wrote:I came off an evo hi mod and am now on the caad 12. I prefer the Caad. Its a lot more responsive. I have never LOVED the evo (I preferred the super six hi mod which was stiffer but heavier). The Evo is more comfortable for long long days but other than that, especially for the money I think the Caad is an amazing bike.

Not sure which models you're talking about. To my knowledge there's a Cannonale Supersix Evo, Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod and a Cannondale Caad 12. So which exactly do you mean? The Hi-mod is the lightest one of the lot.

Below a pic of my size 56, 2012 hi-mod. The weight is with both seatclamp and rear derailleur hanger. If those are removed, it'll get sub 800 grams. And that's a 2012 model. The 2015- models are even lighter AFAIK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

I've got right at 12k miles aboard a caad12 after coming from both a Synapse and TCR; the best part about the Caad is it is just a no worry bike with all the performance. You don't have to worry about little things ruining your bike. You can race it without worrying about having to sell your car to pick up another if you go down. It is truly a testament to the statement little things matter. Tires, wheels, saddle, bar shape; these things make the bike. If I was to make the choice you are now, I'd get the Caad and get the things I want to put on it with the saved money.

ianeire

by ianeire

I'm still trying to decide which is my favourite, but if you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick between my 2016 6HM and 2011 CAAD10 I would find it very, very hard to choose. In the end I'd likely choose the HM but the CAADs are phenomenal bang for buck. I don't feel short changed by the 10 on all but the roughest of roads.

I'm not sure if that helps or not. Both are fab machines, you won't go wrong with either.

Multebear

by Multebear

Thenuge wrote:
inchul wrote:I would recommend the Supersix evo 105.
This choice will be good for future upgrades.

I'm getting a 2018 Supersix in green. It's rad. I'll put a SAVE carbon seatpost on it with a Fizik Antares. And probably a stages PM on a Hollowgram SI crank so I'll need to find a matching one for the right side.

Good choice. It's far better than any CAAD. Those who state the CAAD is better, may not have the data to back up that claim. I'm aware that ride feel is individual, and each to his own. But aluminum just isn't as compliant as a well designed carbon frame. And a Supersix is very well designed, which is why C'dale practically haven't changed the design much from the previous iteration. The same goes for their CAADs, but there are just limited options when designing a frame with the use of aluminum.

Chemmy

by Chemmy

Ltyarbro42 wrote:You can race [the CAAD] without worrying about having to sell your car to pick up another if you go down.

I think you're overstating this a bit. The CAAD12 105 is $1680 MSRP, the Supersix 105 is $1999 MSRP. $2199 vs $2499 in Ultegra. It's about a $300 difference.

Anyhow I test rode both and bought the Supersix because it was a lot cushier.

Sasmf

by Sasmf

I've got a Parlee Altum and a 2016 Caad12. The Caad12 is more responsive than the Altum to acceleration and handles just as good if not better. I just prefer the feel of the Caad12. I'm about 175 lbs and when putting down 1200-1300 watt springs the Caad12 just jumps and feels so solid underneath me. Hard to describe.

I like the Caad12 so much that I'm picking up a 2018 Caad12 disc with Dura Ace next week. Call me crazy!

LD001

by LD001

I owned a Super Six (previous generation) and a CAAD10. I sold the Super Six because I liked the ride of the CAAD10 slightly better compared to the Super Six (I race). Difference in comfort between the two is eliminated if you choose a slightly wider tyre on the CAAD12: that way you have Supersix comfort combined with CAAD responsiveness and feel. My next bike will be a CAAD12 disc with wide carbon wheels,

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Sasmf wrote:I've got a Parlee Altum and a 2016 Caad12. The Caad12 is more responsive than the Altum to acceleration and handles just as good if not better. I just prefer the feel of the Caad12. I'm about 175 lbs and when putting down 1200-1300 watt springs the Caad12 just jumps and feels so solid underneath me. Hard to describe.

I like the Caad12 so much that I'm picking up a 2018 Caad12 disc with Dura Ace next week. Call me crazy!

I agree with all the EVO owners who also have Caad12's. I have an Evo HM & a Caad12. Ive owned a SS, and Caad10. Theres something to be said for the Caads. I have put more miles on them then either my SS or HM. If I was forced to own one it would be a Caad. But as someone else stated its a personal choice. I also live in an area where road conditions arent as bad as other parts of the country.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

I rode the CAAD and Supersix again and yea the CAAD did feel better actually. Stiffer and just “racier.” The Supersix absorbed cracks and vibrations better.

I have a fit coming up this week though. A full guru fit. So we are going to find my measurements and I’ll buy based on that. Hoping that the CAAD Ultegra will fit in my range but with what I can get from this shop I’m open to the 2018 Scott Addict RC and Foil, Cervelo S3, and maybe the Felts.

Peperami

by Peperami

I had exactly the same query. Especially as in the sales you can pick up equivalent supersixes for the same money.

But after riding them both back to back from the same shop i much preferred the ride of the caad to the supersix.

It felt livelier, no less comfy, and faster. Most of the fast guys around here seem to own caad's... (and i just bought one :mrgreen: )